What to plant?

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

What to plant?

Postby lmoe2910 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:18 pm

Hi,
I have a small beaver pond that I hunt in Maryland. The pond is a little less than an acre in size and 4 feet deep in the deepest part with dead trees and root clumps scattered throughout it. We kill wood ducks and some mallards out of it and the only plant that is growing in the pond is duckweed that i know of. Is there anything else that could be planted in the pond, without draining it, that would helpful to attract more ducks? if so what would be best? Attached are 2 pictures of the pond. Thanks for any help or suggestions anyone has to offer.

There are also 2 swans that live in the pond that never leave. Would the swans be detrimental to trying to grow something new in the pond?

The water is usually not as dirty as it looks in the pictures. The picture was taken after a day of heavy rain.

Pond 2.JPG

pond1.JPG
lmoe2910
Newb

Re: What to plant?

Postby MarkM » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:34 pm

Try planting millet on the edges in the summer when the water draws down a little.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby kckong » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:37 am

Japanese millet and smart weed
kckong
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:47 pm

Mute swans are very territorial and don't like much company. And they will in all likelihood eat/root up anything lush that you plant. Jap millet would be great if your pond draws down enough to grow it but you'll need a lot of it and if you have local geese, they will strip every plant there. Won't be a thing left for the ducks when you want it.

Not sure at what depths and water clarity is needed for Duck Potato but that certainly is a favorite duck food for deeper water situations.
Shurshot
hunter

Postby redyota » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:41 pm

A long term solution would be Pin oaks, Water oaks and White oaks. It might take awhile but there is very little up keep after that. I would recomend some tree shields also!
redyota
hunter

Postby gaducman » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:47 am

Willow oak and black gum ( black tupelo ) are widely used by waterfowl in the southeast. I would think white oak while great for deer and hogs will have too large of an acorn for ducks. I know wild celery is a highly desirable waterfowl food than will grow in 3-4 feet of water, but I believe that water clarity and sunlight are a limiting factor in stand establishment .
gaducman
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology