Restoring a pond

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Restoring a pond

Postby orange legs » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:42 pm

I met a guy today who gave me permission to hunt his property. There use to be a pond in the middle of it. But it is now overgrown with cattails. It sets off of one of our major lakes. He said that he used to hunt it along time ago and ducks poured into it. He said that if I can make it work all the power to me. It has very good potential. I'd like to leave some of the cattails for cover. Anybody have any good ideas. I would like to be able to fix it at a minimal cost. Every bit of help is appreciated.
There's nothing better than your son's first word being geese!!!
Upper Red Rock Committee Chairman DU
Buck Gardner Calls Field Staff
Dakota Decoys Staff
orange legs
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:05 pm

there are a few thing syou can do.. you can do managment of the cattails by spraying it with chemicals to kill it.. this is easily done by cutting it back and then spraying it with roundup in the spring as new shoots begin grow (spraying in the growth stage is critcal).. also i would plant some other vegetation that is bewneficial and that waterfowl like.. anything i would suggest would be burreed, bulrush, buttonbush or sago pondweed to name a few... each of these have many different varieties that have greater or fewer benefits for waterfowl... just try to eliminate any vegetation that isnt beenficial to waterfowl and try to plant and promote growth of beneficial plants... if you need any more help i can give you more info.. good luck!!!
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby greenster » Sun Nov 04, 2007 10:40 pm

The ducks are going to like the THICK cattail around the pond, They tend to like think cover. Also I would cut 1/2 the cat tails so the ducks can walk on the banks. If its overgrown with cat tails in the middle of the pond, You can pull them up, Or break them below the surface, for a temporary fix. Remember, What cant get Light, cant live. But be careful when spraying chemicals around water... You could do more harm than good. many animals survive off that water. but as ka said.. if they have a food source, there is n reason for them not to like it there.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby KAhunter » Mon Nov 05, 2007 12:21 pm

yeah i agree be carfeul with chemicals... roundup generally is ok just use it as lightly as possible
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby orange legs » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:28 pm

Thanks for the info guys. Can't wait to see how it turns out.
Dakota Decoys Staff
orange legs
hunter

Wetland Restoration

Postby jazztime » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:42 pm

Roundup + surfactant not a wise choice for wetlands but Rodeo and appropriate surfactant can be used. Suggest you check with your local regs.

Highly suggest you save yourself some time and call your local NRCS office and ask for some technical assistance. Also see if your local F & G Dept and or Federal biologist (Private Lands Biologist-Partners for Fish and Wildlife Program) can provide you some technical assistance.

These guys have a weath of experience in wetland restoration and may be able to help you out.

http://ecos.fws.gov/partners/viewConten ... wPage=home
jazztime
hunter

Postby orange legs » Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:49 pm

Thank you for the tip. I will give them a call.
Dakota Decoys Staff
orange legs
hunter

Re: Restoring a pond

Postby Tom Phillips* » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:53 am

orange legs wrote:I met a guy today who gave me permission to hunt his property. There use to be a pond in the middle of it. But it is now overgrown with cattails. It sets off of one of our major lakes. He said that he used to hunt it along time ago and ducks poured into it. He said that if I can make it work all the power to me. It has very good potential. I'd like to leave some of the cattails for cover. Anybody have any good ideas. I would like to be able to fix it at a minimal cost. Every bit of help is appreciated.

If you can de-water it, and rearrange the soil into deep spots and islands, you will keep the water open permanently, and also give the ducks a secure place to rest during the season. If the breeding season conditions are good in the area, you will probably have ducks nesting and raising their broods.

Good luck.

Tom Phillips*
Tom Phillips*
hunter

Postby willis1 » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:32 pm

:dito:

I had a pond outside of Lexington Ky, that was in the same condition. I drained it late winter and got in there with my bobcat while the ground was frozen and removed most of the cattails, dug out one end deeper so it would'nt freeze so fast, created an island in the middle and dug out the upper end another 80 or so yards.

I installed a pipe in the damn that would let me control the water levels so I could flood the upper end that i planted with corn and wild rice.

worked great for a couple of seasons until they decided to build houses on the property. But we had some of our best hunts there!

Take Care.
Willis
"Ducks are wild becuase they have to be, We are wild becuase we prefer to be."
- Jack Miner
willis1
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology