Building wood duck boxes

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Building wood duck boxes

Postby Jasonmaure » Sat May 03, 2014 7:18 pm

Hey everyone. We make these every winter and try to put at least 25 new ones up every year. Here is how we do it I wrote a blog article with step by step instructions. http://wwocz.net/jason-building-wood-duck-boxes/.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jasonmaure
hunter

Re: Building wood duck boxes

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue May 06, 2014 7:14 am

Nice work, Jason!

I've been doing what you are doing going on 25 years now and have had tremendous success with the re-establishment of the wood duck. I've posted a link to some info that I handed out and/or referenced to folks interested in building and erecting their own boxes. I also put them up as a part of my Wildlife Habitat Service business when I was active. I've probably built and erected over 500 boxes over the years. It's mighty rewarding to be able to check that hen on the nest and later see those little fuzz balls pop out and follow mamma off on the new great adventure.

Feel free to use and share any of this info. Please insist that your folks erect a predator guard on all boxes they put up. If not, they are just feeding the snakes, coons, and other predators. Also, that entrance hole doesn't need to be any bigger than a 4 inch wide, 3 inches tall hole. Any bigger promotes owls, starlings, etc.

Enjoyed reading your article!

http://s766.photobucket.com/user/tenfingergrip/library/Wood%20Duck%20Boxes
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Jasonmaure » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:36 am

Tenfingergrip, sounds like your very involved in protecting the population! I commend you for your efforts! And thanks for posting your info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jasonmaure
hunter

Postby Fsbirdhouse » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:52 pm

To date, only 85 of the 90 I've cut out have been installed.
That 3"X4" hole doesn't do anything to discourage Starlings, and they have been a major headache for us here in E. Idaho.
But now I'm hearing that tacking or hanging a dead Starling on or near a box will cure the problem as they will abandon the entire area then.
Hoping that cures the problem next nesting season.
The Starling is not protected here in Idaho.
Fsbirdhouse
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Jun 11, 2014 6:08 am

You'll get lots of unwanted "trash" nesters in your boxes after the woodie's nesting season is over. That's why it's necessary to clean out the boxes sometime in December and replace the old nesting material and trasher debris with fresh chips. Woodies pick out and claim their cavities early and nest early, so it may be best to have the fresh new material in the box before the 1st of January.

If you open the boxes this late into the year, be ready for any kind of critter to lauch itself out of the box. Owls, besides starlings, are also a frequent user of wood duck boxes.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology