Aquatic plants

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Aquatic plants

Postby lgpjr49 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:15 pm

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone has any experience in transplanting bull rush, cattails, duckweed, etc, or any other natural foods ducks like? Also can anyone help me as to what kind of plant this is and is it useful to ducks. Thanks for all the help guys.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1402960511.583102.jpg
lgpjr49
hunter

Re: Aqa member of the juncus family,uatic plants

Postby Shurshot » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:20 pm

The plant pictured is probably common rush, a member of the juncus family, . Very little value to waterfowl excepting as some cover. But it spreads by rhizomes and is considered invasive. Needs to be kept in check ......... but no where as much as cattails! Under no circumstances do you want to transplant cattails as they will literally overtake and choke out all your open water in no time flat. Bulrush offers very little food value, yet good cover while duckweed is utilized by many different species but blocks out sunlight to desirable submerged aquatic vegetative plants if it completely covers the surface.
Shurshot
hunter

Re: Aquatic plants

Postby lgpjr49 » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:42 pm

Okay, I misspoke when I said cattails I forgot how bad they took over my grandmas pond, not pretty. Any ideas on what I could plant that is natural so the ducks can have something to eat on during the spring so that it will provide cover and insects for ducklings or ducks migrating back north?
lgpjr49
hunter

Postby Shurshot » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:41 pm

Moist soil plants will work fine if you can control the water on/off it. Smartweed will provide great late season food for them. Plants like panic grass also provide good seed and nice cover. The heavy leaf blade of the grass makes for a great substrate which is critical to invertebrate production that in turn is what the hens need for their migration back to the breeding grounds.

Do a search on moist soil management and read up on it. There are a lot of great books out there that you can order too.
Shurshot
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:50 am

The hard part about transplanting cat tails is digging/harvesting the plants. You'll need waders, a spade, shovel, and some buckets or wet gunny sacks to put them in. They grow easy once you put them where you want them to grow.

Duck weed is easy too and grows very fast...like a weed. :yes:
Simply get a large fish net from a pet shop or walmart and get some. Put it in gallon zip lock bags. A gallon of duck weed is a lot.
Dump it in your water and it'll take off, grow very quickly.
The problem is pond fish eat the heck out of it. I can't keep it in my fish pond for long.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Return to Conservation/Biology