trying to help but with lil $

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

trying to help but with lil $

Postby wackn'stack em » Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:39 pm

poor college student who loves hunting waterfowl what can i do to help this sport i love so much. i live in northeren california tons of rice and lot of natural flooded areas what can i do
wackn'stack em
hunter

Postby greenster » Sat Dec 08, 2007 5:44 pm

For now prob the best thing you can do is just give A little money to organizations such as delta waterfowl, as they can do the most with the small amount of money that your available to give. there not much you can do with $40 besides plant a small amount of grain around a marsh. But when your $40 combines with 100 other's $40 it can make a big effect.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Re: trying to help but with lil $

Postby Tom Phillips* » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:32 am

wackn'stack em wrote:poor college student who loves hunting waterfowl what can i do to help this sport i love so much. i live in northeren california tons of rice and lot of natural flooded areas what can i do

You can plant oak trees in places that will take them. They will take in places with willows, sycamores and cottonwoods, or just immediately uphill from those trees. Valley Oaks are native, beautiful, and about every second year produce large crops of acorns that mallards and wood ducks, and other wildlife love.

The beneficial efffects of your planting oak trees will last longer than you will live.

Tom*
Tom Phillips*
hunter

Re: trying to help but with lil $

Postby Tom Phillips* » Sun Dec 09, 2007 11:44 am

wackn'stack em wrote:poor college student who loves hunting waterfowl what can i do to help this sport i love so much. i live in northeren california tons of rice and lot of natural flooded areas what can i do

"wack'n stack em",

You are very close (just about 20 miles) from where we planted the oaks in October. If you are serious, I can give you a lot to do that will improve waterfowl hunting in the long run. One of the guys I worked with is a student at Chico State, and we worked assisting the Manager of Wildlife Area very close to you in planting those oaks. There are more areas to plant that we did not get to.

There will probably be another project in that area that could use some maintenance in the warm months. I haven't written about that project here before, but it will take 3 acres in a rice field and produce from egg to maturity at least 100 mallards per year. It will be a demonstration project.

Let me know if you're interested.

I can be reached via email: MallardRice100@comcast.net.

Tom*
Tom Phillips*
hunter

Postby dog » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:59 pm

Hey tom, I noticed you were from the same area as me. Just curious, but were do you like to hunt most? I usually go down to the Los Banos area or on a boat on the bay. Ever heard of the edon reserve? It is a pretty good area just on the bay in Hayward.
If it flys, it dies
dog
hunter

Postby wyatt » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:03 am

I am in the same boat in central Florida. I would love to volunteer, and have some what tried. I signed up to volunteer with DU, but have heard nothing.
wyatt
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology