Postby orangefoot » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:14 pm

I was wonderin what would be the best thing to plant for puddle ducks? :huh:

Does the bio logic stuff work? :help:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:15 pm

Corn or millet :yes: :yes: :yes:
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:21 pm

I have tried to plant Japanese millet for the past 2 years and it just will not grow good in my duck hole. :thumbsup:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby Ducksbeus » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:46 pm

MMMmmmm...may need ta be fertalized a coupla times with 13-13-13...are army worms gettin it? Maybe gettin' too much moister too soon. When are ya planting?
"You get what you put in, and people get what they deserve" Hank Jr. and Kid Rock
Ducksbeus
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:38 am

Bilogic is simply expensive rice. If you are in rice country, go to the local supplier and get advice on what will work in your situation.

If you have a way to plant it, corn and milo are great, but they don’t do well if you just broadcast it. Japanese millet can be broadcast, but you need to get it in contact with the dirt. We broadcast it when our water dries up and drag it with a screen behind an ATV.

Japanese millet has a pretty short cycle, so if you use it, plant it about 90 days before you want a mature crop.

We have a wooded lake that we pump full of water in the fall. Our best approach is to spread a bag of Japanese millet and a couple of bags of cheap wildbird food mix (milo, millet, sunflower, etc.). We drag it and pray for rain, and 90 – 120 days later, it looks great.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Hunt em up » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:53 am

Corn seems to work pretty good for me.
Live to hunt - Hunt to live!
Hunt em up
hunter

Postby greenster » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:32 am

Go To your local wal-mart and head to where all the duck calls and everything is. Look for a soil test kit. There $20. If you cant find it there go to your local delta ag, or other farm supplier and ask for one. You need one that tess AT least, Nitrogen,(N) phosphorous,(P) Potash strengthens the plan (k), and acidity / alkalinity level, (PH). a more detailed would be better though.

One you get that done let us know, and let us know how much your wiling to spend, amount of acreage, yield required, and type of soil, Water availability ETC.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby quackshutr » Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:41 pm

What's the law say about planting food plots for ducks like that? Isn't that hunting over bait basically unless your "harvesting" what you plant??
I've thought about doing that but wasn't sure if I'd have to try and harvest it.
Does millet reseed itself for the next year?

Q
Quackshutr
Collinsville, OK
1542 Duracraft Stoeger 2000
Speak now or forever shut the heck up!
quackshutr
hunter

Postby fishon!! » Wed Jan 09, 2008 7:35 pm

that's very illegal down here in florida
save your confederate dollars, cause the south will rise again!!
fishon!!
hunter

Postby David » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:40 am

My understanding was that as long as it isn't manipulated, it's fine.

http://www.fws.gov/le/pdffiles/09-30-04 ... ochure.pdf
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby triggertime » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:50 pm

I would plant rice. I don't think it is baiting. Its no diffrent then a deer hunter hunting over a corn feild or under a apple tree or hunting over grass. I think the DNR needs to plant more things on public land.
triggertime
hunter

Postby olddkguide » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:38 pm

What are you trying to plant, a pond,impoundment,shallow water, deep water, swamp? Each has its own set of answers.
olddkguide
hunter

Postby orangefoot » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:21 pm

I will be trying to plant a small pond about 1 acer and about 12 inches deep. :thumbsup:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby olddkguide » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:13 am

First of all it is legal in Florida. Go to any of the plantations in north Florida and you'll see ponds planted just for ducks. It's been done there legally for generations. To answer your question, for one acre you need the most bang for the buck. Brown top millet would be an inexpensive and highly productive crop to grow, it produces a large seed head that takes the birds a while to clean up. The best way to make sure your legal is take your local game warden to the area and have him approve it, that's what I do with no problem. I've hunted several of the plantation ponds, they are amazing and legal. Sorry didn't catch it was a pond, jap millet will work and usually will reseed the following year. If you can control the water level use the brown top it's easy to grow.
olddkguide
hunter

Postby DanM3029 » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:49 am

If you are going to plant any food plot, whether for ducks or deer, you need to have a soil sample test done FIRST. Otherwise, you will be wasting time and money and end up frustrated. I have had good uck on my deer plots with the Biologic soil test. It costs about $8.00, you get the results back quick, and if you tell them what you intend to plant in the plot, they will give you the specific lime and fertilizer requirements, along with what the current ph and nurtient levels are. You can download the instruction sheet and order sheet right from their website. I had one done for my duck millet plot last summer and was shocked to ind out how acidic my dark rich bottom soil acally was. I will be spreading lime on the ice in the next few weeks to try to get the ph up. Good luck
DanM3029
hunter

Postby olddkguide » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:29 pm

DanM makes a valid point. You can get those same soil test run by your county extension agent , just ask them for some soil test bags.
The test are free. Most bottom land is going to be highly fertile, sometimes some adjustments are called for and are usually easily remedied. Good luck and don't wait to get started, I've already got woodies in my boxes in Georgia.
olddkguide
hunter

Postby luckeyduck69 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:29 pm

luckeyduck69
hunter

Postby don taylor » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:58 pm

Plant your feet.
Feed 'em steel.
BIGGER WATER DECOYS

Chairman- The Allegheny Chapter of Delta Waterfowl.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4277478 ... 6859634909
don taylor
Forum & State Moderator

Postby orangefoot » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:37 pm

Thats a good idea. :rofl:
"Grind Em"
orangefoot
hunter

Postby IndyWingmaster » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:06 pm

We all can agree that crops such as corn and rice are excellent forage for ducks, you should still consider using native plants. Ducks and geese utilize many different food sources. If you have wet shallow areas near your hunting areas consider planting wetland plants. However use plants that are native to the area in which you live. Find a native seed nursery in your region and see what they have to offer. Also, talk to a local biologist, great resources. One benefit of using native plants in your area is that they are perennials, low maintenance and you don't have to plant every year. If you have an area where there is not any water, then crops such as corn and millet will be best options. If you increase the diversity of the food sources you provide, then you might be suprised as to what might show up. You are likely to see ducks or even geese that you don't normally get.
So we probably should have brought our guns.
IndyWingmaster
hunter

food plot

Postby duckmnn » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:00 pm

We plant are own milo and millet. We can't plant corn because The state puts the water in when they want at are public DNR impoundment.Normally millet always has enough time. Corn doessn't. If I want to try rice were can I buy it from. I live in IL.
duckmnn
hunter

Postby Mare_Vitalis » Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:49 pm

Don’t buy anything biologic...they use very poor grade generic seed, put a pretty picture on a bag and sell it for 3 times the feed store price of the EXACT same seed. I would get your soil tested by your extension office and talk to your game warden about what you can and cannot plant, some plants you can only hunt over 2nd generation crops and other weird rules so ask them first.
Call up LSU and talk to the ag department. one of the profs there is one of the leading researchers in food plot nutrition of course I have forgotten his name but I have heard him speak before...I’m sure he will be able to help you more than anyone...
Mare_Vitalis
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology