Lookin' for major HELP!

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Lookin' for major HELP!

Postby gooser_21 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:28 pm

Here in the next few months I'm going to college to study conservation, hoping to become a conservation officer, but I'm hearing that the job is hard to get... is that true?

BTW is it difficult to find a line of work based around/dealing w/ waterfowl, because thats what I really want to do? :help: :help:
three birds go in.... no birds come out!!!
That's the way it's done!!!
gooser_21
hunter

Postby greenster » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:54 pm

Gooser... I'm doing the same thing now. if you want to work with waterfowl, you should do as i. get a specific degree. It's REAL hard to get a job donig it to. Thus i'm going straight for my doctrine degree. It will give me a advantage on the rest of the field as I will be getting "experience " while working toward being Dr. greenster. You will need a HUGE emphasis in Ornithology.

Please note, for the time and the stuff you learn. Its not worth the pay. But I'm doing it because it what I love. I should have 5 degree's by the time I graduate. which will be about 6 years. Associates of Fine arts, B.S wildlife management, B.S Forest management and soils. Masters Wildlife management. And what ever doctrine is affiliated best at the time for my career goal.

If your wanting to be a officer, like a GW you will need, some sort of LAW degree and a biology minor wouldn't hurt. but then lots of training.

Best way to work with purely waterfowl is a biology degree, and a WIDE variety of science classes.

Pm if you need anything...

BTW find a good school for that.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:23 am

i agree with greenster. cept he's just a overeducated hunter(j/k greenster)
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09
account suspended for advertising/promo

Location: sit'n on a creek bank underneath a shade tree MONTANA

Postby Admin2 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 1:56 pm

Then it is best to study criminal justice too, as many states you have to have a peace officers license to become CO and that is a 2 to 4 year cousre. If your thing is biology, you need to go for a masters to really have a shot with a govt job.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby HunterX » Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:37 pm

I would try to get some experience first hand while studying too. Try an internship for DU, Delta, etc. so that you'll be a more well-rounded candiate (sp?) for the job when it opportunity comes down to it.
HunterX
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology