Pond

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Pond

Postby nccanvasback » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:45 pm

Looking to attract ducks to a pond. How should one go about this??? wood duck boxes or what else would work.... vegatation and other things??

Thanks
nccanvasback
hunter

Postby David » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:56 pm

Food. If you are wanting to bring them in during hunting season, then willow oaks for wood ducks. If you want mallards then you can plant millet.

Wood duck boxes are good, but I'm not sure if they like ponds. I've normally seen them on creeks.

Are there lots of hardwoods around your pond? Are there fields against the pond? How deep is the water? How big is the pond?
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby nccanvasback » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:45 pm

it is already stocked with fish..... it is an older pond about 2 -2.5 acres and has hardwoods and stuff around it but also open bank and some pine trees
nccanvasback
hunter

How to duck pond for beginners

Postby olddkguide » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:02 pm

I have several ponds that I have maintained for a little over twenty
years for ducks. Some of these ponds never saw a duck before I started working on them. If your ponds are deep water they are not going to attract as many ducks due to lack of food. Spend your efforts on the shallow water areas less than two feet deep. Woodduck boxes will work if placed in shallow areas. Make sure to
place predator shields on all your nesting structures, otherwise you may as well hang a dinner sign on it for all the critters that eat eggs and ducklings. Another thing that a lot of beginners don,t think about is tree's. Don't place nesting boxes to close to over hanging branches, coons and snakes love to use them to get at boxes. You can also get birds to find your pond by feeding them
during the off season, put feed around nesting structures this really works. Yes, it is legal to feed birds out of season, just stop
at least one month before season starts. Plant oak trees close to your shallow end, in a few years you'll have a natural source of food for the ducks once acorn production starts. I have other tips that I can share just (pm) me. Good Luck
olddkguide
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology