What does DU really do?

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

What does DU really do?

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon May 30, 2005 11:41 am

I dont know a lot about DU. I know that all "good duck hunters" are supposed to be members, but I dont really understand what they do.

It seems to me like they are just a big "greeny" organization, only wanting to "conserve wetlands".

What do they do that is in the major intrist of duck hunters, I know that conserving wetlands is in our intrist, but why is it targeted so much to duck hunters?

Ive been thinkin 'bout joining, mostly because I feel sorry that they've sent me more than $25 in those address stamps :smile: , but I also know that there must be a reason why so many duck hunters are members.

Any input would be gladly accepted.
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby ACEBLDRS » Mon May 30, 2005 12:14 pm

Nobody cares more about ducks and duck habitat more than a duck hunter. And DU speaks for duck hunters. As they say, the more habitat on the ground, the more ducks in the air. I don't know everything that DU does, but a big thing that they do is look out for the ducks habitat. And as a big organization they make there voice(our voices)be heard in washington. A lot like th NRA. The thing that i like about DU is that they don't waist the donated money on the administration fee's like alot of other charity organizations do. The magority of the money goes strait to the ducks. I have seen and hunted on land that combined with DU and the state of CA, has been turned back into wetlands.
.....you've got to ask yourself a question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

Dirty Harry

Die' en ain't much of a livin' son.
ACEBLDRS
Spoon Bill hunter extraordinaire

Postby Dogman » Mon May 30, 2005 1:33 pm

Since we have already lost half or more of all North American wetlands so far,I think DU's emphasis on wetlands conservation-restoration is essential for waterfowl now and long after we(duck hunters of this generation) are all gone.Future duck hunting depends on it.No wetlands=No ducks.
DU has been accused of not "being for the hunter"by some but that is a groundless accusation.Ask any of the wacko animal rights nut jobs out there about DU and they will certainly tell you it as a bunch of duck murderers.
Delta has recently challenged DU to spend more of its energy on predator control.Du has decided to stay on course with habitat issues at its forefront.Delta supporters say this shows that DU is not for the hunter,but that simply doesn't add up.Predator control costs a great deal and has to be done continuosly.Once stopped it allows predators to come back.Habitat preservation is a much more permanent application of resources.And when you consider that predator control was once widely practiced by the USF&W service and state F&G agencies for decades yet had only marginal overall effects on duck numbers while at the same time being at the center of expensive lawsuits filed by a wide variety of opponents,it gets clear that a predator program on a big scale will cost a huge amount while siphoning off resources from other important work.
When it comes to DU and Delta I support both orgs but I think this latest clash of wills hasn't helped anything,particularly the ducks.
11 million acres of wetlands is a great accoplishment and it needs to continue.
If other people have other ideas they believe in thats great,they should act on them and not use it to start a peeing contest.
Bottom line from my perspective is that DU's efforts have given us something that,with out it, would have left us with a lot less duck and goose hunting opportunity.

Anyone wanting info about DU can visit thier website,wwwducks.org,and find out.
They also have volunteer programs where people can help with local projects.
If you can afford to be a member of DU and Delta and any other organization helping ducks then you can't go wrong.The more the better. :thumbsup:
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon May 30, 2005 4:56 pm

Thanks guys, Ill see if I can scrounge up a couple of bucks and send it their way sometime soon. :smile:

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Mallyard » Mon May 30, 2005 5:11 pm

Our local wetlands was restored by DU. It's an awsome place to hunt now. DU is continually making it bigger and better. I'm a member, heck you get a free decal, and a duck call for joining. And that duck call dosn't sound to bad either. One of the loudest, clearest poly carbs I've ever blown :thumbsup: ...

Mallyard
Aim for their lips...
Mallyard
Forum & State Moderator

Postby frazier2209 » Mon May 30, 2005 5:23 pm

I think it is a Southern Game Call Nasty Boy or Little Joel one of the two. Which ever one is a single reed. :thumbsup:
frazier2209
hunter

Postby donell67 » Mon May 30, 2005 5:27 pm

i need to rejoin. its for a good cause.the ducks.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Tue May 31, 2005 12:35 am

I have to admit, the decal and the call are good motivators.

Its kinda like the toys in McDonalds, just way better!...........And its for a good cause :cool:

-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Tue May 31, 2005 8:07 am

Mallyard you are definitely right about that call. I started blowing it and I thought that it sounded loud, but it really sounded loud to me when I started blowing another call that was so much quieter.

The one thing I wish DU would stop doing is sending out those address things and stuff like that. It seems like it would cost so much money to do that all the time. I guess they have it figured though that the money does bring in new members that, and that new membership money outweighs the expense of the labels.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue May 31, 2005 9:07 am

I just joined DU last week and didn't see anything about a free duck call???
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Duckhunter16 » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:08 pm

98ramtough wrote:I just joined DU last week and didn't see anything about a free duck call???

:withstupid: Did I also miss the memo about a free duck call? I just joined last week and I read nothing about a free call.
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby gahunter » Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:33 pm

I got a call and it sounds good. I also got a decorative miniature wigeon decoy when I renewed a few months ago. :thumbsup:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:11 am

Duckhunter16 wrote:
98ramtough wrote:I just joined DU last week and didn't see anything about a free duck call???

:withstupid: Did I also miss the memo about a free duck call? I just joined last week and I read nothing about a free call.

Hahahahaha

You guys got skrewed!!

If you send in this little stiker that they mail to you with the return adress stamps.......they have an option to get a duck call. :hammering:

ahhh,
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Duckhunter16 » Sat Jul 09, 2005 1:10 pm

Now I find this out. Of course after I sign up :smile: Just my luck :salude:
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:02 am

No joke.......

I have that same problem too! :salude:
-Stouff

AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:18 pm

DU mostly conserves wetlands.

Delta Waterfowl mostly works on the duck populations.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby AK Ducks » Tue Sep 20, 2005 7:51 pm

we as hunter need to conserve the land not just the land that will suport ducks and other game animals but all land and animal species because we spent most of our time in the outdoors we should do more to protect it.
If I became a millionare I would start a conservation group to protect all nature, it wouldn't one of those hippie groups like green peace, I would hire biologests to look and land and make infomed decissioins on what to do if the land was used by a small town for logging and could support it I would not fight logging there. thats my .02
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology