Wood duck box questions?

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Postby tsmart » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:34 am

Preacher1011 wrote:Where exacly do you put wood duck boxes and when?

Good question...

IMO - anywhere you normally see wood ducks. But, a few things will help get your boxes used...
1) Woodies are a "secretive" bird. You don't want to place a box where it'll be messed with by other boaters during recreational months (while hen's are hatching out chicks).
2) Place them 300 feet apart, or closer - if they are out of sight of each other (this prevents nest dumping).
3) Backwater beaver ponds or secluded coves are a good place.
4) I like them over water myself, but wood ducks will nest up to 1/2 mile from water.... so boxes on the shorelines work well too (if you don't have a boat)

When? Now. Birds pair in Feb., and start nesting anytime in late Feb - June (actullay saw a hen sitting on a nest in early August last year).

Hope that helps some....

T.
Free Pillowcasr & Whompus Cat !
tsmart
hunter

Postby olddkguide » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:42 am

Shallow water, depending on where you are place boxes from now
til July. There's lts of info on this in the conservation section, check there or pm me.
olddkguide
hunter

Postby Preacher1011 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:02 am

It did help, I appreciate it. I'll try to get some out soon, that is if I find any wood ducks. Are there boxes for other types of waterfowl?
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mike. » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:20 am

you can put up mallard tubes or goose platforms..
mike.
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:39 pm

tsmart wrote: cedar has been reported to cause respiratory issues with wood duck hens as well.

I'd love to see the scientific documentation asserting this. It is the 1st I have heard of it. So lets find the source of this as it is contrary to what many conservation groups have been saying.

Also, the Cedar boards in a lumberyard are white cedar, not red cedar.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby olddkguide » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:44 pm

Checked this out . No reports of toxicity to be found concerning ducks and cedar of any kind. I did find quite a few reports however on toxicity of red cedar (western) variety was the main source of concern.
These reports are mostly related to dust and shavings, looks like cedar boxes are pretty much OK.
olddkguide
hunter

Postby tsmart » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:29 am

http://audubon-omaha.org/bestofbbml/boxesc.htm

I quote....

"More and more pet stores and breeders are discontinuing the use of cedar chips for bedding materials because plicatic acid is poisonous to warm blooded animals.

You said, "Most quality bird houses may be made of western redcedar, a very different tree than used in fabricating cedar chests."

I believe most cedar chests are constructed using the more aromatic Eastern Redcedar(Juniperus virginiana). Ironically, Western Red Cedar(Thuja plicata), the material used to construct the "quality bird houses" you referred to has the highest plicatic acid content of all cedar species."

T.
tsmart
hunter

Postby tsmart » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:38 am

And...
Click this link, and scroll down to Cedar....

http://www.avianweb.com/safewoods.html

T.
tsmart
hunter

Postby tsmart » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:00 am

tsmart
hunter

Postby tsmart » Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:16 am

Bottom line is..... use what ever you want :thumbsup: . But.. cedar boards are usually more expensive, vs pine or hemlock - so your money would probably go further using the latter. I've never heard much bad, about any type of wood - except for Cedar (for boxes or shavings), so I just avoid cedar - and avoid any possible issues.

I did use cedar chips at one point.
I put cedar shavings in 5 boxes, and pine shavings in 5 boxes.... then compared.
1) All 5 of the boxes with pine shavings were used (successful hatchings).
2) Only 3 of the boxes with cedar shavings were used, the other 2 were not used.
3) And when comparing the shavings in the box after nesting, the pine shavings looked softer, and easier to rearrange.... where as the cedar shavings looked harder, and more cumbersome for a bird to arrange.

So using my head (for something other than a hat rack :huh: :biggrin: ), I came to the conclusion - that I would avoid cedar boards for houses, and cedar shavings for nesting materials. The results seem to show a much better usages for my boxes, so take it as a scientific study, or not.... but I would recommend using something besides cedar. :wink:

T.
tsmart
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:02 pm

We'll have to agree to disagree about Cedar chips. I add 1 handleful to 4 handlfulls of pine. I know guys that run straight cedar shavings with no problems.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby tsmart » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:49 am

h2ofwlr wrote:We'll have to agree to disagree about Cedar chips. I add 1 handleful to 4 handlfulls of pine. I know guys that run straight cedar shavings with no problems.

I can agree to disagree - no sweat. :thumbsup:

Again, I was going off my experience here in NC....
tsmart wrote:I did use cedar chips at one point.
I put cedar shavings in 5 boxes, and pine shavings in 5 boxes.... then compared.
1) All 5 of the boxes with pine shavings were used (successful hatchings).
2) Only 3 of the boxes with cedar shavings were used, the other 2 were not used.
3) And when comparing the shavings in the box after nesting, the pine shavings looked softer, and easier to rearrange.... where as the cedar shavings looked harder, and more cumbersome for a bird to arrange.

I didn't say cedar shgavings didn't work (3 of 5 boxes with cedar shavings got used), but compared to boxes with pine shavings (which 5 of 5 were used), it seemed more likely pine would be the premier choice of shavings (IMO).

When you put your cedar chips in one box, and pine savings in another - feel with you hand, and see which one feels softer or more comfortable to the touch. I know if I were a hen wood duck, I'd want to sit my rump on the softer pine shavings myself.

Just sayin...
T.
tsmart
hunter

Postby countryhick » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:20 pm

Would there be any problem with painting the outside of the box?
Matt
countryhick
hunter

Re: Wood duck box questions?

Postby SnoGeez » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:57 pm

I've seen about 4 pairs of woodies hanging around a small lake that my girlfriend lives on, would it be too late to try and put a couple boxes up? From what I've read on here and other sites the time has probably passed, but wanted to get some opinions from some guys that have managed boxes.
SnoGeez
hunter

Postby olddkguide » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:13 pm

Go ahead and set up house. Sometimes you get late pairs that try to hatch a clutch. A well placed box will sometimes produce as many as three clutches per hatching season. I've had boxes that were taken over almost as soon as another hen had vacated. You have nothing to lose by placing the box now.
olddkguide
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Apr 08, 2009 5:41 am

i saw on another site of someone using an old 5 gal nursery pot (the cheap black plastic pots that come from growers) invertved for a predator guard... seems like it may work... since i have acces to thousands of them ranging from 1 pint to 100 gallon if they work well i would be very interested in trying them for myself or donating some for a cheap and easy predator guard... any thoughts??
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Previous

Return to Conservation/Biology