Building a goose house/box thing

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Building a goose house/box thing

Postby Feet Down » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:59 pm

I want to put some goose nesting box/house things on my pond but dont want to buy any, does anyone know of a good way to build these that will last a while that I can build. I would like to build it out of wood if possible I dont want to buy any plastic tubs over the internet I would like to get all of my supplies at a local hardware store. All the help would be great sence this is creating more birds to shot in later years.
Feet Down
hunter

Postby olddkguide » Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:17 pm

I just use 4x4 post and a treated frame, place a used pallet on top and cover with hay, let the geese do the rest. Replace the pallet every two to three years. Cheap too and easy to maintain. :thumbsup:
olddkguide
hunter

Postby Feet Down » Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:34 pm

That sounds pretty good could I use a metal post at all and if so how big sould it be I dont really want to be driving a 4x4 in to 3 ft of mud and it is 8 ft tall that will way a little to much. LOL Also do you have to put side wall on it so that the hay will not blow out and the geese will not fall out?
Feet Down
hunter

Postby olddkguide » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:22 am

Metal post should work fine. Predrill holes for easier assembly and build frame to mount to it . Don't worry about the geese falling out, they will be just fine.
olddkguide
hunter

Postby Feet Down » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:21 am

Where do I get palets at and how do you pre drill a hole underwater?
Feet Down
hunter

Postby olddkguide » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:49 am

Drill the holes on dryland, in your shop, yard, whatever. Pallets are used by most warehouses. Usually the warehouse owners will give you a couple that may be slightly damaged, just ask around. Dry fit everything at home then just assemble on sight. Piece of cake. :thumbsup:
olddkguide
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:59 am

How high off the water do you put the pallet, and do you put a predator guard underneath it?
harvey1b
hunter

Postby olddkguide » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:32 am

If the water doesn't fluctuate to much about a foot. The predator guard isn't needed. Have you ever tried to approach a nesting goose, mean as my wife.
olddkguide
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:46 am

How big is your pond and do you swim in it? Geese make an awful mess. Are you really sure you want them to nest? If you picnic, swim, etc, you want to run them off.

My parents had a pair looking to nest at their pond. They thought they looked really cool swimming on their pond. After a couple of days, they were trashing the place. They would try to chase them off, but they just swam to the middle of the pond and gave them the middle feather. So they called my brother and he brought out his 100 lb Chessie. They left in a hurry when they saw the big brown monster crashing into pond :yes:
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby olddkguide » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:38 am

I've got eight ponds and I don't know how many geese live on them, a lot. I don't mind the mess, I like to have those birds there to hunt when I want.
olddkguide
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:42 pm

I wish I owned enough land to hunt on my own property. Other than trapping bunnies, there isn't much else to do on my 0.2 acres.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby olddkguide » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:10 pm

Start small and ad to it . I hunt public spots about half the time just to keep my skills sharp. It's easy to hunt the gravy bowls, the real hunters don't mind busting it for those hard to get to spots or nasty days.My ponds are all great duck holes but I really like big water hunts.
olddkguide
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology