Dove Field

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Dove Field

Postby DuckKnight » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:32 am

What is the best thing to plant in a dove field?
Sittin in my suit of hidden camo.
DuckKnight
Newb

Postby olddkguide » Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:13 am

I already know somebody is going to say millet or corn, but I've had my best results from sunflowers. Dove love it, it's like throwing candy to kids in a schoolyard. I've been using sunflowers for over twenty years now and everybody usually has their limit in under thirty minutes opening day. Keep some fresh ground broken in the field too, they seem to like that also.
olddkguide
hunter

Postby EHO IV » Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:08 pm

I second sunflowers. We hunt over a sunflower field in NC and there are a thousand birds in there on opening day. Truly unbelievable.
EHO IV
hunter

Postby cinnamonteal7 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:14 pm

pot
miss him once shame on me, miss him twice on me agian, miss him three times damit! reload and watch where that SOB lands this isnt over.
cinnamonteal7
hunter

Postby HunterX » Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:59 pm

I'd have to agree w/ the others on sunflower for quick limits otherwise setting up near a watering hole can be fun and entertaining.
HunterX
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:33 am

can sunflowers do well in a field with no cultivation. We are planting them this year and can spray every day if we need to but we are unable to cultivate between the rows, which most farmers recommnd. Anyone know if it is possible to have a weed free field without cultivation??
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby olddkguide » Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:36 am

After your initial planting you do not have to continue to culivate sunflowers. A weed free feild is not needed to have a productive crop of sunflowers. Water and fertilizer are much more important for a successfull crop. Time to plant is from now til mid June, depending on where you live.
olddkguide
hunter

Postby Braidwood Hunter » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:03 am

Where can you buy sunflowers in bulk?
Braidwood Hunter
hunter

Postby olddkguide » Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:23 am

Any good feed & seed supply store should have them or be able to get them for you. The seed comes in fifty pound bags. Try to time your planting the day before an expected rain, it will help increase and speed germination.
olddkguide
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:54 pm

well i want a weed free field can i get one with just spraying?
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

KAhunter
hunter

Postby rmh » Sun Apr 27, 2008 4:58 pm

Problem with spraying is you may end up losing beneficial bugs since they'll have no habitat. And remember, sunflower roots put out an enzyme that inhibits sunflower growth next year so you'll have to plan on a rotation cycle.
2013 Totals
1 2003 Ford Focus (harvested by a 6 point whitetail)
1 1991 Chevy Lumina (harvested by a PT Cruiser)
rmh
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:02 am

ok... can i have a weed free field with just a spraying regime??

KAhunter
hunter

Postby olddkguide » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:20 pm

Yes, well fairly wed free. Remember you are going to be mowing down strips as the season progresses, so being weed free is not really terribly important. I usually cut mine up in a checker board fashion. This creates places to hide and still lets you mark birds easily.
Keep it watered and fertilize early and you should be just fine. I rotate fields every other year, relative to your soil test.
olddkguide
hunter

Weeds

Postby keegan511 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:09 pm

I understand your desire for a weed free field however if the weeds put on a seed head this can work in your benefit by providing an additional source of food for the dove. Just my two cents
Take a man duck hunting and he will eat for a day; Teach a man how to duck hunt, HIS WIFE WILL HATE YOU.
keegan511
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:27 pm

yeah i agree and we have some areas of just weeds that we bushhog as well, i just want a nice clean sunflower field so the birds can find the seed easily... also got some wheat growing and just some disced areas so it should be a good mix.. the problem is we never have too many doves at our farm.. hopefully this will help

KAhunter
hunter

Postby olddkguide » Tue Apr 29, 2008 7:58 am

When you mow those sunflowers you'll have plenty of doves. Most people make the mistake of mowing the entire field at one time. Great for the first shoot but then all your feed is gone in a short period of time. Rain will cause freshly mowed sunflowers to germinate so make sure to watch the weather before mowing.
olddkguide
hunter

Postby Braidwood Hunter » Thu May 01, 2008 2:39 pm

When's the best time to plant sunflowers so they're ready to go on September 1?
Braidwood Hunter
hunter

Postby David » Thu May 01, 2008 2:56 pm

Most sunflowers take about 100-110 days to mature.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby Willie » Fri May 09, 2008 7:17 am

All this talk about dove hunting...gets me all worked up just thinking about it! That first day of the season with the dove field prepped just right, sitting at the truck, sweating you tail off, swatting flies and mo-skee-toes, watching the birds work in and out of the field, and just waiting for noon to roll around. It's the official start to a new hunting season...man, I'm pumped up already!

Can I get a hell yeah!!!
Willie
hunter

Postby illinoisduckboy15 » Tue May 13, 2008 5:49 pm

depending on where you are sunflowers can be planted year after year , with fertilizer at least thats how we do it with the same results. we never sprayed or cultivated our field except a burndown before planting. last year we got a partner in a new herbicide that kills weeds and is a process similar to roundup with corn. the only trouble is this herbicide is extremely costly and is a big investment for 1 person we split the cost with another farm in order to use the 2.5 gallon container that coast a whole 750 dollars.however this herbicide is not necessary the only real difference is that it makes finding downed birds alot easier. as mentioned before the field should be mowed in a checkerboard and we find that if lighly disked the soil provides grit that the birds enjoy for feeding their gizzards as well as to scratch in. Dont run the disk very deep just enough to scratch the top otherwise the food will be buried. planting for us braidwood should be around now except this rains got our second field on hold luckily our big fied got done on friday.
the crew= 17 ducks
illinoisduckboy15
hunter

Postby Das booted » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:46 pm

Actually there is something better than sunflowers - safflower. It is also very easy to grow. Just plant it prior to the last rains of spring and you don't need to do anything else until the mid August. Then its the riding lawnmower/harvester of happiness. :yes:
Das booted
Membership under review

Return to Conservation/Biology