Need some help kinda quick!

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Need some help kinda quick!

Postby Tallhunter » Mon May 26, 2008 1:20 pm

So i wanna plant either millet, or i have some biologic stuff (the waterfowl kind). The area i want to plant is very moist and floods easily, but for the most part is just very muddy. However it has a lot of grasses already growing in it, do i just through seed among these plants or should i remove them? and if so, how should i go about removing them? I need to plant pretty quick, any help would be great! thanks
Tallhunter
hunter

Planting

Postby keegan511 » Thu Jun 05, 2008 9:07 am

If you are planting millett I believe its either a 60-90 germination plant so you have some time. If you have bare spots within the wetland I would target those areas first to get some stands established and let nature take its course as far plant competition goes. If you want to remove the existing vegetation mowing would be the best bet. however if the soil is moist some sweat work might be required. I would also recommend you find out what is already growing because it may be a desirable food source for waterfowl. If you would like take come pictures of the plants and I will ID them for you as best I can. I am very familiar with wetland plants so don't hesitate to contact me if you would like. Take care and let me know

Dan
Take a man duck hunting and he will eat for a day; Teach a man how to duck hunt, HIS WIFE WILL HATE YOU.
keegan511
hunter

Postby illinoisduckboy15 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:00 pm

ya millet should be planted in a prepared seed bed and contrary to belief most millets dont like it wet
the crew= 17 ducks
illinoisduckboy15
hunter

Postby huntmstr » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:32 pm

illinoisduckboy15 wrote:ya millet should be planted in a prepared seed bed and contrary to belief most millets dont like it wet

The only millet you can plant in wet muddy areas is Japanese millet. It has a 45 day growth period. And although it will grow in wet to muddy soil, you should at least run a 7 point plow across the area so that you get propper seed to soil cotact. You may want to look at using a seed drill for best results. Check out this link from Seedland. Their millet requires no fertilizer or lime and is perfect for the application you are talking about.

http://www.wildlifeseeds.com/info/japanesemillet.html
Final Approach,Bushnell, Primos & Duck Junkies Pro Staffs
Proud Member of the Fab Five
Owner Rebel Yelp Calls & Outfitters

I had you pissed off at hello.
huntmstr
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology