New Pond

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

New Pond

Postby Greenhead329 » Wed May 28, 2008 10:10 pm

Guys me and my buddy found a spot on land we have access too, its a spring fed creek...surounded by various timber trees...
The area once/if flooded will be approx 1 acre give or take. it is surrounded on two sides by natural dams..

How likely and soon is it this will be suitable habitat
Whoever says you can't buy happiness has obviously never owned a lab

?Dos Juevos???... Dos Juevos
Greenhead329
hunter

Postby David » Thu May 29, 2008 6:21 am

Depends on the soil type, rain fall, depth after flooding, and food sources. Do you know if ducks ever visit it?
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby rmh » Thu May 29, 2008 7:28 am

Access is different than owning or permission. If you have the owner's permission you need to check out the local/federal rules to see if you can manipulate it to create it. Corps of Engineers can get real nasty on illegal stuff like that. Where I live just got nailed by MD DNR and the Corps for moving sand around on our public beach without a permit, something we've been doing for years.
2013 Totals
1 2003 Ford Focus (harvested by a 6 point whitetail)
1 1991 Chevy Lumina (harvested by a PT Cruiser)
rmh
hunter

Postby olddkguide » Thu May 29, 2008 7:56 am

rmh, is right the army corps does not play around. The land owner could face some hefty fines, check first. This is one time when following the rules is really important.
olddkguide
hunter

Postby Greenhead329 » Thu May 29, 2008 9:15 am

I talked to the owner yesterday pm when we found the spot, he is going to look at the place this weekend to see whether or not he'll let us do it. :thumbsup: As for permits if he decides to let us do it he's built a small pond before, so I assume he knows all that stuff, but ill give him a heads up just the same..Thanks for the input.

We have seen wood ducks occasionally flying over but not consistent. Theres also some local ducks (greenheads) about 2miles straight flight from this spot. Also during dove season we can hear geese honking over at the mallard spot.

The creek is a slow/moderate trickle. we were going to build the dam 10ft at the lowest point of the land to get flooding of approx 2/3ft at the highest land point.

We were also hoping to stock some bass, bream and crappie ....

Greenhead329
hunter

Postby olddkguide » Fri May 30, 2008 7:28 am

You will build a nice fish pond that way but it won't be much good for ducks. Small ponds are best used for attracting puddle ducks, which is what it sounds like you are after. Water depth of about one foot is perfect for puddlers. A one acre pond is pretty small so you will have to decide on what is going to be its main purpose.
olddkguide
hunter

Postby Greenhead329 » Fri May 30, 2008 11:26 am

The landowner actually had the spot surveyed years earlier, he was thinking of putting a pond in that area. The surveyor told him to expect a 2.5acre pond

Greenhead329
hunter

Postby David » Fri May 30, 2008 12:55 pm

My experience is that you can have a good duck pond (in some areas) or a good fish pond, but not both. A good duck pond will need to be let down and planted, flooded in the fall to a depth of 10 inches to 1.5 feet.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Return to Conservation/Biology