Buying Hunting Land

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Buying Hunting Land

Postby Richard Hedd » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:22 am

Just wondering how you guys afford so many acres of hunting land. I've been looking into buying some in Iowa but at over $5000/acre I don't know if it will happen. Do you guys rent it out to pay for some of it or do you just take a $100,000 kick in the shorts? Just trying to figure a way that it would be feasible.
Richard Hedd
hunter

Postby David » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:43 am

$5k/acre is higher than most of the country. Here, if you get away from the cities, it will range from under $2k/acre for pasture to around $3500/acre for pine/hardwood mixed on the water. You can lease land for a lot less, but the price varies a lot for that. I've seen from about $7/acre to over $2000/acre since it had a lake and a house on it.

Personally, I just bought some land last year. I own a business and had saved up a good bit over the years and was able to afford it.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby Beak Breaker » Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:39 pm

Hey Rich,

I leased 400 acres in Colorado by running an add in the local papers in the areas I wanted to hunt. There are usually a few land owners fed up with the larger clubs because of too much pressure that are looking for a small group or family to lease to. Lease price was around 200 an acre, but I was able to sub lease about half. I now have four members and pay about the same yearly as I did for my old club, but its mine. Good luck
Beak Breaker
DHC Sponsor

Postby DuckSlyer16 » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:32 pm

Hehehe, my secret, you wanna know it?

Well my dad owns a seed company, and he also knows all the farmers around here, and they all own land, so, what my dad does, he says, "hey Ill give you this much seed free, if i can hunt your back 40, or wherever" and it works, or if they owe him money, he says "I'll take off _____ $ off your bill if i can hunt that feild with all the geese in it"

I am a very lucky teen, VERY lucky, I have hunted so much land, its unreal...

Now that I'm done boasting, umm, do you want to hunt it for life, or season after season for like 10 years? If its ten years, or life even, go out and help the farmer with what he needs done, two weeks ago I spent 10 hours on our goose farm helping what ever he needs done. Do that, get on the farmers good side, then bring up the idea of you hunting, They will give the rights to someone who helps them, compared if you just show up and go "can I hunt your land?"

goood luck

5k an acre? well thats like 3 SBEII and then some! and thats ridiculas.
DuckSlyer16
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:08 am

If there is tillable land with the acreage, then yes often guys will rent it out to local farmers to help with the payments to the bank, and often guys do go through a bank to purchase larger parcels.

Unfortunately land prices have been soaring in price the last 15 years across the country. Land that used to be deemed as old undesirable swamp land was going for a few hundred an acre is now fetching very high prices, often over 3000 an acre. And farm land has about doubled in the last few years due to crop price increases. So banks are demanding a higher down payments as they think it is over valued.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby DiscoDuck » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:42 pm

Try to go through just a normal realtor, not one who specializes in land/recreational land. There's a much greater chance that they won't know what they have. When I bought my marsh (106 acres- 90 acres underwater/16 dry land approx.) the realtor kept apologizing to me that it was so wet and "swampy". Meanwhile, I'm trying to wear my poker face. Long story short, I picket it up for just over $200 an acre. :thumbsup:
DiscoDuck
DiscoDuck
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:59 pm

:lol: :rofl: I dont think I could have kept a straight face I would have had the biggest grin you would have ever seen. My family has got 20 acres of land backed up to hundreds of acres of public land so it is unlimited for me plus its all swamp there.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology