Duck Hunting Forum banner

jap millet

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Taz 
#1 ·
Where does everybody buy their Jap millet and smart weed?

#4 ·
sjndknichols said:
I saw that but it was going to cost like 27 bucks to ship it
I bought Pearl Millett locally a couple weeks ago. It was 60 bucks for 30 lbs and I drove a couple hours round trip to get it.

That price, even with shipping, is a good deal if you want it. Can't believe anyone is gonna carry it locally at $19.99 for a 50 pound bag.

#5 ·
HNTFSH said:
sjndknichols said:
I saw that but it was going to cost like 27 bucks to ship it
I bought Pearl Millett locally a couple weeks ago. It was 60 bucks for 30 lbs and I drove a couple hours round trip to get it.

That price, even with shipping, is a good deal if you want it. Can't believe anyone is gonna carry it locally at $19.99 for a 50 pound bag.

I agree totally, don't think you'll find it at a brick and mortar store anywhere close to that. I wonder if that shipping cost is per bag? If not, I would look into buying a bunch of it, taking what you want or need (it will keep for next season if properly stored), and then advertise either on your state's duck forums or CL to move the rest. Heck, you might even end up getting your stuff for next to nothing if they will bulk ship it.

While Jap seed doesn't need to be stratified, smartweed in all likelihood will. Don't expect for it to come up this year if you plant it. Ask your source if it's been stratified, they will know.

#9 ·
I just sprinkled mine around my pond edge. You are supposed to agitate the soil though. I didn't and my buddy did around his pond. His grew first but now our looks the same. If not around a pond edge I would agitate the soil for at least 1/2"of soil. I'm no millet expert by any means just telling ya what I did and read. Suppose to be planted early june (northeast) and sooner to the south. You may have missed the boat for it to grow fully. Think its ideal to be planted roughly 120 days before 1st frost.

#10 ·
Your Jap millet will do much better if broadcast on bare ground vs. vegetative. Breaking up the dirt just enough so that it can be slightly covered will yield better results, however, it actually does best if you broadcast it on a mud flat or wet soil.
Now is the time to seed it. Jap typically has a maturation period between 45-60 days depending on conditions. Beauty of that is if you have a total crop failure (flood, insects, etc.) now, there is still plenty of time to replant and get good results. I have a nice regrowth of millet in my place right now but have several acres of bare spots where constant downpours drowned out my plantings. Will be sowing millet in those places this weekend.

As for where to get millet from, try your local farmer's co-op. If they don't have it, lots of times they can get it from another store. If you have to order on line, places like Hancock, Kester, Turner, Rainer, Ernst seed companies will have whatever you desire.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.