Do you shoot hens?

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Do you shoot hens?

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Jul 20, 2005 4:28 pm

Well do ya? I did, but tried to shoot drakes. But then I started getting into conservation more and more and am going to try to only shoot drakes, unless there is nothing else.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby h2ofwlr » Wed Jul 20, 2005 6:02 pm

I go for GREEN when ever possible on the Mallrds. Yes I do make a mistake occasionally by misleading and hit a hen. I guess my point is I aviod hens is my philosophy. And not just Mallards, but other easily identifable species like Cans, Reds, Ringers and Blue bills.

Up here they are in eclipse feathers at start of season, so hard to ID and hen from a drake, but by end of Oct, generally they are fairly easy to tell the difference.

Up in CA in end of Sept it can be a reach bitch to tell them apart--remember the young are born 2 to 3 weeks later than in S MN or SD, so much less fledged out.

Also for the Northern tier hunters---when a lone hen comes in, pass on it. Often it is a recooperating hen from the riggors of raising the ducklings, these "skilled" hens have the best chance for pulling off a brood the next year, so please pass of them. Remember the the #1 mortality of hen Mallards is from predators, March-June when they are on the nest. So give them a break. :thumbsup:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby kiwismakebetterhunters » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:29 pm

If I have the choice Ill gogreen but if a hen flies past well........
New Zealand

kiwismakebetterhunters
hunter

Postby JJ McGuire » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:53 am

I pass on hens.
JJ McGuire
hunter

Postby Duckhunter16 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:48 am

I'll pass on hens when ever possible and in Kansas you are only allowed 1 hen a day so if I accidentally shoot one I got to be really careful with the rest of my shoots or my day is up. I actually had about 5 hens come an sit in my decoys last year stayed there for a long time.......Well unless tell the drakes showed up then they flew off. :yes:
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

Postby aaron » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:08 pm

I actually had a hen free season last year, that was my goal going into 2004-2005 season. :thumbsup:
A dog views his master as a God, it is our job to not prove otherwise.
aaron
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:05 pm

In our club, we strive for a hen free season.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby aaron » Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:32 pm

Tough isn't it, Rat Creek ?! Well worth it ,.though.
A dog views his master as a God, it is our job to not prove otherwise.
aaron
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:47 am

We try to pass on the hens but with Black ducks it is neer to impossible and as H2O stated up here the teal and most other ducks haven't yet gotten their full plumage and are hard to tell apart untill later on in the season. Unlike fishing once the trigger is pulled its impossible to do a catch and release.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Webfoot12 » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:13 am

I try my best to not kill a hen. My hunting budies and I have an agreement that each time someone shoots a hen he has to put 20 bucks into a pot. Then we donate the extra money to DU or save it to buy raffle tickets for a DU or Delta event or something like that. I'm not a rich man so twenty bucks is a lot.

I bet it would be tough on ducks not in full plumage.

Hats off to all of you.

:salude:
Rest in peace my friend... Mocha- Jan 20th, 2001-Feb 1st, 2009.
Webfoot12
hunter

Postby Quackcephus » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:20 pm

We pass on the SUSIES unless they're just the 2 of them workin'... they have obiviously chosen an ALTERNATIVE LIFESTYLE so we at least cut the one doin' all the QUACKIN' as she is the BULL... if they're both QUACKIN' we cut 'em both, as neither of 'em is they gonna breed anyway.
:eek: :hammering: :yes: :laughing: :thumbsup:
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:47 pm

I do my best to not shoot hens. I like the Green. Everynow and then mistakes happen though.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:03 am

we pass on hens and donate $10 to DU or Delta for every accidental hen taken.
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby AK Ducks » Tue Sep 06, 2005 4:14 pm

up in AK you can't tell males from females for most of the season so I shoot what comes in.
thanks to the men and woman of the United States Coast Guard- without them I would not be here.
AK Ducks
hunter

Postby wa.duckhunter » Fri Sep 09, 2005 12:40 pm

Very commendable to those of you on a hen free season!!! Also, I like the idea of the donation to the programs if a hen is shot!! Thats Awsome!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
wa.duckhunter
hunter

drakes

Postby TXwaterfowler » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:58 am

well knowing of course that drakes are the most colorful birds. Ialways go for them and i only try to hit Mallards. Being as it is the population of most other species such as the Canvasback,Wood duck,and Redheads are not high in numbers. Itry not to even shoot either gender. :thumbsup:
TXwaterfowler
hunter

Postby vikingsfan » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:01 pm

I hate shooting hens but if its slow and a lone hen comes into the spread then i'll go all out to shoot her.
vikingsfan
hunter

Postby kms399 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:02 pm

i shoot what ever i can get. i dont get out enough to be picky but if i had a choice it would drakes all the way
another one bites the dust
kms399
hunter

Postby Citori12 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 4:13 pm

Drakes all the way except for early teal and duck seasons where gadwalls are hard to tell and teal in eclipse are hard to tell but I sure as heck can tell a mallard drake even in eclipse and those are the only ones I shoot.
Citori12
Membership permanently suspended

Postby Canadian Quacker » Fri Nov 18, 2005 6:46 pm

Greg Wile wrote:We try to pass on the hens but with Black ducks it is neer to impossible and as H2O stated up here the teal and most other ducks haven't yet gotten their full plumage and are hard to tell apart untill later on in the season. Unlike fishing once the trigger is pulled its impossible to do a catch and release.

:withstupid: Yeah very true Greg..Same thing here, sometimes it's impossible to pick out the drakes

CQ
Canadian Quacker
hunter

Postby Mallard Machine » Tue Nov 22, 2005 12:25 pm

Well a bag limit of drakes is a very good achievement but around here where we hunt we don't have many mallards. Although i've been hunting on what is called the St John River and when all the ponds freeze up we have some real good mallard shoots the last 2 of 3 hunts we/ve limited out on mallards and a few blacks. We shoot lots of drake Woodies and the black ducks but the are so hard to tell ya never know what it is? I try not to shoot teal if possible unless nothing else is flying and i want to give my dog some action. And teal don't begin to change until late i actually shot my first VISIBLE drake teal last weekend i would of liked to get it mounted but the "BB" shot size did a real number on him. CHEERS!!
Mallard Machine
hunter

Postby chevyZ71 » Tue Nov 22, 2005 1:31 pm

sometimes i shoot hens. whenever im not trying to its by accident. i usually shoot hens if i just want to mount a pair, such as woodies, i do that just to make it look nice. but if its slow that morning ill shoot whatever.
chevyZ71
hunter

Postby scwaterfowler » Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:29 pm

i usually hunt public land and whatever comes into the decoys gets shot. i am lucky to get anything to come into the deocys.
scwaterfowler
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology