carear in waterfowl conservation

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Postby Swamprat » Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:23 am

Another thing to think about is the "connections" of your wildlife school. Basically, your school will get you in the door of other alumni (if they're biologists too) who know what the program was about/how hard it was. Best ones I can think of:

Montana State
Colorado State
Texas A&M
Penn State
Virginia Tech
Michigan State
U of Missouri
SUNY/Syracuse/Geneseo School of Forestry
Swamprat
hunter

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:06 am

If you want to Study waterfowl biology than Louisiana State Universtiy is the place to be. Just look up where the leading ecologistand biologist from Delta and D.U. got their degrees fromand where they do research.

For better money look into forestry, environmental/ecological conservation and engineering

I am a marine biology and wetlands biogeochemisty major at LSU.
going to start my masters in a year after graduation
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Postby mr.smith » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:09 pm

Do a short stint in the military first and then let them pay for college. That way when you go looking for that Government job you will have a veterans preference.

I'm a Conservation Biology Junior at ASU (Arizona) I have a veterans preference and almost eight years of law enforcement experience. That means that I am on the top of the stack when resumes are recieved. There are things you can do to increase your odds of being the one that gets hired. I know lots of guys with biology degrees that are not working in a related field. Volunteer with the agency you hope to work for, network and get to know people. If you love to duck hunt then i would recommend you study fish. It puts you near the water to observe ducks but also frees you up during the hunting season. Just a little food for thought. I love to hunt but I think I am going to specialize in non-game animals/fish. people are becoming more urbanized and non-game is becoming more popular with animal watchers. Job security is something to consider. Good luck
That's Quacktastic!
mr.smith
hunter

Previous

Return to Conservation/Biology