Pond Building

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Pond Building

Postby Theo713 » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:28 pm

Have a question about pond building for waterfowl. I have about a 1/2 to 3/4 acre area to put a pond in SW Michigan. We have about 1000 birds that work the field in the fall but never commit to our decoys. Will a pond work to attract birds? I thought about mowing one side and planting sweet corn up to the waters edge on the other.
Theo713
hunter

Postby treedog » Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:28 am

It helps but don't plant right to the water's edge, leave a good buffer zone mown down, 10-15 feet has worked for us in the past.

The biggest mistake people make building duck ponds, myself included, is making them too deep. It's not a fishing pond remind yourself it's a duck pond, meaning drained down in summer so rice and millet will grow in wet soil and then flooded to about 18" maximum before the season.

I have lived all my life on big waters and in a canoe, but it took moving to Vermont, the driest damned state ever made, to learn how to build a good duck pond!

http://www.vtwaterquality.org/lakes/doc ... uction.pdf

This is one of those PDF things and opens into the whole booklet when you open it.

these folks are pretty sharp too, also Vermonters.

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/wildlife/420 ... 0-802.html

good luck and good idea! You know sometimes there are groups that will pay for the ponds for you or reimburse your cost for building "riparian habitat" Delta Waterfowl is a good one to contact about that too.
treedog
hunter

Postby rmh » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:38 am

And make sure you check your state regs before you move a shovel of dirt. If you have one, your local Extension Office should be able to help.
2013 Totals
1 2003 Ford Focus (harvested by a 6 point whitetail)
1 1991 Chevy Lumina (harvested by a PT Cruiser)
rmh
hunter

duck ponds

Postby Theo713 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:18 pm

Do you think 3/4 acre is large enough? Lots of crop land is nearby and this is something you dont see many if any people building ducks ponds in Michigan.

Anyone have any contacts for Delta or other such organizations that would reimburse me for the cost. I will do the labor I dont mind doing that much.

Has anybody done this in the midwest and did it work?
Theo713
hunter

Postby rmh » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:34 pm

I really doubt Delta or any other organization will reimburse you. DU will sometimes leverage their money with grants and other funding for restoration. Again, you could check with those organizations to find out.
2013 Totals
1 2003 Ford Focus (harvested by a 6 point whitetail)
1 1991 Chevy Lumina (harvested by a PT Cruiser)
rmh
hunter

Pond building

Postby goodfolks » Sat Nov 08, 2008 2:44 pm

Keep most of the the pond shallow, and try to establish native vegetation. with native upland buffer. I'm working on a wetland project in minnesota. Theres a link to a vegetation manual I'm using. If your looking to attack ducks I believe you need to have the right vegetation. Heres the website address
www.walterswetlandbank.com go the the vegetation page and click on the vegetation manual link. Image
Scott Steven Walters
goodfolks
hunter

Re: Pond building

Postby TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE » Fri Dec 05, 2008 6:12 pm

goodfolks wrote:Keep most of the the pond shallow, and try to establish native vegetation. with native upland buffer. I'm working on a wetland project in minnesota. Theres a link to a vegetation manual I'm using. If your looking to attack ducks I believe you need to have the right vegetation. Heres the website address
www.walterswetlandbank.com go the the vegetation page and click on the vegetation manual link. Image

that looks good :biggrin: :biggrin: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
waterfowler20 wrote:
getemducks wrote:I am new to this but I think what you have there is a duck. :huh:

Are you crazy! That ain't no duck, thats one of'dem cackler gooses! :hi:
TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology