Thoughts on Millet

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Thoughts on Millet

Postby Cut'm » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:43 pm

Midwesterners...what's the latest you've ever put down jap millet with any success? Putting some late stuff down tonight but probably wasting our time as we probalby have 45 days to first frost. Thoughts?
Cut'm
hunter

Postby greenster » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:11 pm

You should have planted it 3 weeks ago for ducks. But plant it asap, you should still be okay. Millet takes about 45 days to yield, planted at the right time, may-July for you area. It will mature and have best yield about 70-90 days.

You want 40lbs per acre. Medium to heavy soil. The soil should be wet to muddy. you want the seed to have about 1/8" cover for germination. It can grow in about 1-4" of water, but it may slow your germination. I would advise to flood (if going to) at about 75 days, or as soon as seeds start dropping. If your going to cut. When the seeds drop cut it, then flood if applicable. after 45 days when the plant is erect and 2 1/2-4' tall, you'll notice seeding. about 25 dys after wards seeds will drop. No fertilizer, lime etc, is usually necessary, as its a hardy plant from Africa.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Cut'm » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:18 pm

greenster wrote:You should have planted it 3 weeks ago for ducks. .

Heard that......mother nature just didn't let us. We have one little honey hole we thought we'd give it a try. It's getting broadcast tonight...just in time for Gustav to water it. :biggrin:
Cut'm
hunter

Postby Uncle Jesse » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:46 am

I planted some two years ago on 08/14 and frost hit it the first week of october :mad: It had just headed.

I always plant it too early or too late and have yet to have any success in about 5 or 6 years of planting. This year I planted on the last week of july and thought I was doing good only to find out that my seed was brown top millet :huh: Brown top millet doesn't like mud but some did come up and I got some volunteer jap millet.
Jesus Saves
Uncle Jesse
hunter

Postby greenster » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:51 am

cut'm you don't want that water
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Skyblaster7 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:58 am

haha
Skyblaster7
Forum Moderator

Return to Conservation/Biology