Where to find plant seeds

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Where to find plant seeds

Postby bushawg » Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:50 pm

Anyone on here know of a supplier that carries seeds for sedge or smartweed? I have plenty of it in my swamp and would like to plant it in a moist soil impounment I built recently. Any help would be appreciated.
bushawg
hunter

Postby David » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:19 pm

There are many types of sedges, which one are you talking about?

I've only seen one source for smartweed and their website is http://www.kestersnursery.com/
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby David » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:41 pm

bushawg wrote:Thanks for that website contact. I called them and placed a order for smartweed.

As far as what kind of sedge I am looking for. I am looking for the best kind that attracts ducks. If I need to get multiple kinds I will. I have a 20 acre moist soil impoundment that we just completed I am looking to expedite the seeding process. I have some sedge in spots.

Does anybody have any working knowledge of the duck potato? Is it like chufa?

Any input on things to plant AND WHERE to get it would be appreciated.

Right now I have 2 acres of corn and about 8 acres of jap and white proso millet planted. the rest is in moist soil vegeation. I would like to cut back the millet and have more moist soil. I also think I am going to plant chufa in more corn section next year and then drill corn in between the chufa rows. What is your thought on this idea?

The water level when at full tilt goes from about 36 inches to shoe top water.

You accidentally posted the above comment to the wrong thread, so I pasted it here.

As far as what type of sedge, I typically here of people using Yellow Nut sedge for ducks, it's also a nasty lawn weed. I do not know of a source for it. Chufa is a type of sedge. I like the idea of chufa and corn. Chufa will probably be a lot easier and cheaper to buy than yellow nut sedge. Here's one of many sources for chufa http://www.cypruskneechufa.com/
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby LJUIV » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:39 pm

I'm no expert, but nutsedge is one of the plants DU is putting in our impoundment. If I were you I would go to your state DU webpage and find the biologist and email him. They should be able to point you in the right diection of where to get the seed as well as point out some other plants to grow.
just my . 02
LJUIV
hunter

Postby hayseed » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:57 pm

New guy here, been meaning to sign up for a while and this thread got me to do it. I see this is an older thread but wanted to reply anyway...

one place to check is Ernst seed in Pa. they supply native southern seeds and they have everything you mentioned, from the duck potato to chufa and sedges and everything else you can imagine, they also have wetland mixes or they'll give recommendations and do custom mixes.

You could talk to them and get a list together, then take it to a local DU or other wetland biologist and refine the list. But I'd recommend planting native grasses as much as possible, for a variety of reasons. I don't mean to sound like an ad for ernst, if I do, but I deal with them with my business and they're one of the few places I know of to get what you're looking for. Good people too. ernstseed dot com

hope it helped somebody,
Rick
hayseed
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology