wildlife management

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

wildlife management

Postby greenhead1990 » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:12 pm

when you are in wildlife management, what do you exactly do? how much do these people make a year roughly?
if it flies, it dies
greenhead1990
hunter

Postby Racks N Quacks » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:44 pm

Pretty broad question there! I manage hunting properties for wildlife and hunters. I have 45 customers in 5 states and 10 to 1,500 acres. I install food plots, shooting lanes, bedding areas, tree stands, pit blinds, bale blinds. Oversee timber management for wildlife, building bridges and access roads for atv's ,trucks,etc.. I start with USGS topos, aerial photos, NRCS maps, soil test results, camera surveys, prevailing wind directions, and a cruise by a consulting forester to come up with short and long term management plans to accomadate both habitat and hunter needs/wants. After the plan is agreed upon I also set up education for the customers to take jaw bones out of deer, age on the hoof, show them the ropes for hunting waterfowl on their new ponds I built etc..
My pay depends on weather and the clock and the budget and the current hunting season since you can not be working if they are hunting. Hours can be long ... hour before dark till after dark then maintain equipment when "done" for the day from mid March till end of Sept.
THis is just what I do tho. There are lots of other guys that work for private, state, federal agencies that are also classified as wildlife management.
Dawgs,Ducks, Deer: It don't get no better than this!!!
Racks N Quacks
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology