Duck Farm / Duck Club : Questions on getting and maintaning

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Duck Farm / Duck Club : Questions on getting and maintaning

Postby DuckWhisperer7 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:42 pm

I am from Florence, SC. I have been hunting ducks for about 5 years now. My question relates to duck farms. A friend of mine owns 1500 acres which one farm has an two story log cabin on it that no one stays in and would be perfect to house guest in during the weekend trip. He is interested in getting his land set up for duck hunts. He already has over 250 mallards on one farm with 3 ponds and a swamp. He his looking to spread a lot more ducks accross his 1500 acres but he wants me to do the research and help head up the project with the knowledge I already have and my will to help and drive this project ahead. I was wondering if any of yall had any experience or advice on this subject. Or where I could get more birds, also other than mallards. The do's and don'ts would be appreciated too.
Isn't there a way you can be giving ducks by the state or are there any grants?
Thanks guys
DuckWhisperer7
Newb

Postby cuppedup50 » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:43 pm

try posing this on the habitat forum. they can steer u in the right direction. :welcome: to DHC by the way.
cut em.
cuppedup50
hunter

Postby Duckorbust » Mon Dec 01, 2008 2:59 pm

pm sent
All men are self made.....Only the successful ones admit it
Duckorbust
hunter

Postby E_Pluribus_Spoonum » Wed Dec 03, 2008 7:11 pm

There are all kinds of grants of there. I don't know about the state agencies you have but there are plenty of federal grants out there but the only issue is that they will have demands for how you manage the place (e.g. water control, hunting/refuge areas, levy placement, etc..). Often times agencies will want you to not only manage habitat for ducks but also shorebirds, native grasses, and birds of prey. I highly recommend setting an area of your property as a designated closed-zone/refuge for ducks that you plan to NEVER hunt. It will pay dividends to have the refuge because you will have a healthy population of local ducks that are always around and they will attract the new stupid ducks that are easy pickens.
Waitin for Greenheads.
E_Pluribus_Spoonum
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology