save the hens

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

save the hens

Postby winchesterx2 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 2:20 pm

Just curious how many of you try to leave the hens to reproduce :thumbsup: the next year ? I know at first light it's hard to tell just what a duck is. But do you practice saving for the future ? :cool:
Delat waterfowl member, Father to the future of hunting and church member.
winchesterx2
hunter

Let the hens live

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sun Aug 29, 2004 3:12 pm

If I can tell that it is a hen of any species, I try and let it live. It kind of ticks me off that I let the hen live and it flies over to the city boyz in the next spread and they kill it with a 10 shot barrage.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:25 pm

I don’t know about the city boy comment because I have seen more hen killing, poaching and other illegal activity by the so called locals than anyone from the city. I live in the country and have yet to see a BMW pull up to my place with a spot light looking to kill a deer at night and out of season. Most of the people who come down from the city are very careful about everything.

Hen killers are not geographically located in cities, they are just careless or greedy hunters.

If you shoot a hen in our group (of both city and country residents), you just signed up for a day of ridicule and harassment. It rarely happens, and in most cases it is because the fool missed the intended duck and caught the innocent bystander that was flying directly behind. I have been that fool before. :oops:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Locals

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Sep 30, 2004 9:33 pm

The rule hear is if you shoot the hen you buy breakfast for the group.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:25 am

I try to leave the hens alone. For every Mallard hen I shoot-I put up another Mallard hen nest :thumbsup: Them early season ducks are real hard to tell apart-the Drakes have V feathers on their chest just like a hen does. Later on in late Oct then no sweat to tell the drakes for sure.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ND_Duckslayer » Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:28 am

We try not to take hens, but it is legal to take two per person, so if we hit a couple I don't cry. I know, I know, I'll get some crap for saying that...but its just like taking a doe during deer season. I don't know how often I hear "gotta get the big buck, gotta get the trophy" A successful hunter shouldn't be based on how many "greenheads" he shoots or how big the "rack" is on his deer. I agree, we do need to shoot more drakes than hens since currently there are a lot more drakes than hens, but if all we ever do is shoot drakes than eventually they'll be more hens than drakes and that's not good either. For a healthy population its necessary to keep it as close to a 1 to 1 ratio as possible and besides, I'm in it for the, as the Nuge would say, "pure protein", not necessarily the trophy...

Just my $0.02 :thumbsup:
"If it flies, it dies...and if it just sits there and doesn't move, IT STILL DIES!!!"
-Phil Robertson, a.k.a. the Duck Commander
ND_Duckslayer
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Fri Oct 01, 2004 6:21 am

We try not to either. So far so good
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:54 pm

ND DuckSlayer:

The mortality rate of hens is much, much higher than drakes because the hen has all the responsibility for sitting on the nest and rearing the ducklings. That is the reason there are more drakes than hens. The hens pay with their lives to get the brood hatched.

With ducks, just like pheasants, one male bird will mate with as many females as possible. But only the females can bring a clutch of eggs to life. As you have no doubt seen in ND with pheasants, the roosters can be decimated, but as long as there are good numbers of hens and a few lucky roosters, the hatch numbers will be good.

For every hen than makes it to the breeding grounds, you will see multiples of that number flying south later that year. The reality of the situation is the drake population is not as important because one drake can play the part of many. Kind of like Wilt Chamberlain during his prime.

Start this year fresh with a No Hen policy.
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:56 pm

I always try to let the hens go. The only time hens get taken are by accident in early morning when you can't tell what they are. I think I need to try that deal about whoever shoots a hen has to buy breakfast. My buddy would be buyin every mornin'. :toofunny:
quackkiller
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:22 pm

we try for all drakes too.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby mallardhunter » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:23 pm

I go for them because they look pretty too. :mrgreen:
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:30 pm

yeah getting a drake is much more rewarding.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby lumberjack » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:25 pm

I believe we should "try" to leave hens, a lot of folks don't care or don't see the point. We all need to be responsible sportsmen & do what we can to preserve our great sport. There is a reason that you can legally take fewer hens than drake mallards in most places.
Last edited by lumberjack on Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt SAFE!
A man good at making excuses is good at nothing else.
Ben Franklin
lumberjack
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:35 pm

We try for all drakes here, but the widgeons are either all female or just too young to have color and you can't tell them apart. So with mallards, yes I can say that I truly avoid shooting hens, teal, widgeons and others, its almost impossible down here. Anyone who says they don't shoot them is flat out lying!

Mike
Last edited by 98ramtough on Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby HENDU3270 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:03 am

We try to. But like Ram said, it's almost impossible. I've never come home with only drakes.
Fishing was invented to pass the time between Duck Seasons....either duck hunt or get outa my boat!!
HENDU3270
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:53 pm

Doing good, All drakes today.

4 Mallard Drakes
1 Pintail Drake
1 Widgeon drake

Tried to post a pic but it didn't work.[/img]
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Sat Nov 20, 2004 12:33 am

The all drake limit

[url="http://www.hunt101.com/?p=223562&c=525&z=1"]Image[/url]
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Remmag » Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:46 pm

Shoot a hen starve a fox!!!!!!!!!!
Remmag
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:52 am

I was reading through this topic and I know it is old, but I just wanted to comment on it.
NDDuckslayer:
I think you're missing the point of not shooting hens. It's not to neccesarily to brag that I limited out on green heads, but a matter of conservation. All the hens are going to get bred to reproduce, no matter how many drakes there are. This goes the same as deer like you mentioned. Bucks in rut are constantly running through the woods in search of a doe that's in season; the result is all the does getting bred no matter the number of bucks. Another example is pheasants. You don't shoot hen pheasants. If you leave hens, the duck population is sure to grow.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:14 pm

HENDU3270 wrote:We try to. But like Ram said, it's almost impossible. I've never come home with only drakes.

I have to agree with that.
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:20 pm

I would like to shoot all trakes, but i do shoot hens, sorry guys. :oops:

(Im going to get alot of heat for this one)
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Wingshooter » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:24 am

I try very hard to shoot the boys,heres a pic of a good day all drakes here.Let's see if i can get the pic up.
Code: Select all
Happiness is a Warm Gun, Wet Dog........
Wingshooter
hunter

Postby Wingshooter » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:27 am

[img]387[/img]
Wingshooter
hunter

Postby Wingshooter » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:28 am

Wingshooter
hunter

Postby Wingshooter » Fri Apr 01, 2005 11:44 am

Sorry guys, im still getting the hang of this websites settings for pics and stuff.http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/album_page.php?pic_id=407
Wingshooter
hunter

Next

Return to Conservation/Biology