Canadian Goose hurt; need help

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Canadian Goose hurt; need help

Postby jennifer » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:37 pm

We have a canadian goose that has fishing line wrapped around it's leg. How do we capture the goose so that we can cut the line off?
Any tips would be appreciated.
Thanks
jennifer
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:30 am

Well my first reaction is--if the hunting season is open--shoot it. You'll have a tasty dinner and it will not have to deal with the fishing line any longer. But if you are in a no hunting area, well there is nothing you really can do. You could try to bait it with corn and try to use a landing net to capture it--but be forewarned-- a gooses wing can inflict damage to you big time. I'm not too sure you should even try it unless there is an experienced person there that has done it before. Banding the geese is a real chore from talking to the guys that have done it--and they do it during molt when they are flightless.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ND_Duckslayer » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:23 pm

....hmm...i gotta agree with h20fowler...my first reaction would be end its suffering with some BB steel out of a 12 ga. But IF you really wanna save it I'd call a local game and fish officer to help you out. Have you ever been around geese when they have little gosslings walkin around? The mom and pop's get really, really, pissy! If you're brave enough to net it yourself watch out...they're nasty ba$tard$! :thumbsdown:
"If it flies, it dies...and if it just sits there and doesn't move, IT STILL DIES!!!"
-Phil Robertson, a.k.a. the Duck Commander
ND_Duckslayer
hunter

catching goose

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Thu Nov 18, 2004 7:04 am

We used to catch pidgeons with bird seed soaked in vodka. They can not fly then. BUT, The vodka would do absolutly nothing to keep the goose from beating you with its wings. Catch a goose from behind and hug them with their wings closed and have some one else remove the string.

Second note. If the geese get too much vodka they could get achohol poisoning or drown. We never had water to deal with when catching pidgeons.

You could use a throw net used for catching minnows for fishing, if you could get close enough. But again, geese have hollow bones so they can be light enough to fly. Too rough and you'll bust a wing and then have to put them down.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Thu Nov 18, 2004 10:09 am

Throw net don't work atleast not on ducks.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby donell67 » Thu Nov 18, 2004 11:20 am

make sure you pluck it too. roast goose is awful good.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Gooseboy » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:31 pm

i would try a casting net, or baiting it.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby Woodywoodduck » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:49 pm

h2ofwlr wrote: Banding the geese is a real chore from talking to the guys that have done it--and they do it during molt when they are flightless.

I had Black and Blue Marks for weeks! :eek:

Also had Welts for a few days after!

Geese are not something a Person without Experiance wants to deal with! They will Beat the Hell out of you and then some! :yes:

Find someone in the area who KNOWS how to handle Geese and have them try to Catch this Goose!
Our youth are the Back Bone to hunting of the Future. Teach them WELL!
Woodywoodduck
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology