Letter from the Dept of the Interior.

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Letter from the Dept of the Interior.

Postby Snaph » Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:49 pm

I received a letter from the Dept. of the Interior (fish and wildlife service) today informing me I was selected to participate in the National Migratory Bird Harvest Survey. Has anybody else got this letter? I have to wonder how they select people for this. I'm guessing they just draw names from licenses sold and send stuff out. I must say I was surprised to see a letter from the US fish and wildlife service sitting on my table when I got home. I thought maybe I was in trouble for something. Like maybe they got wind of my screen name and...well... nevermind.
:mrgreen:

I was just wondering if anybody else has done this before.

Puppyriot Snuggles......
Snaph
hunter

Postby AlaskaRedneK » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:43 pm

Nope, never heard of it till you mentiond it.

BTW- do you know how they found out about you?
-Stouff
[b][size=14]REAL Trucks don't got Spark Plugs

"Hold the Shotguns.... Its hard to stear like this!"
AlaskaRedneK
hunter

Postby Snaph » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:52 pm

It has to be a random drawing of names. I don't know. That is why I was asking. Or maybe it is just my rugged good looks. :mrgreen:
Snaph
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Mon Sep 19, 2005 8:53 pm

This is the wing and tail feather collection and survey. been there and done that. :smile:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby green head2 » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:00 pm

Got one last year I think it is just a name in the hat thing
green head2
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:11 pm

Yeah I did that about four or five years ago. I dont know if yours is the same thing, but all we had to do was send in one wing from each bird killed along with the date and time of harvest and some other information. They send you all of the envelopes for the wings. It seems like a lot of work at first, but it really turned out to be pretty neat. After season is over they will send you a list of how many wings and a detailed list of what you killed. I enjoyed it. :smile:
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Snaph » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:22 pm

Nothing about sending in wings. Just asking me what I shot or what I will shoot I should say. The gave me a card to report what I get. And they are asking what I shot and could not retrieve also. I hope to limit that to zero. They want to know about ducks, sea ducks, geese and brant. I don't know who Brant is, but I hope he is a cool dude.
Snaph
hunter

Postby Smackaduck » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:31 pm

Doesnt sound like the same thing then. But i like that bit about the brant. :laughing:
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby Fowlercon » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:36 pm

Yeah, here in the Commonwealth they have every hunter voluntarily fill out such cards. I have done it for the last five years in a row. Never heard back from the state or otherwise, hope it helps. It's pretty easy to keep track of 10 to 20 ducks a year. :thumbsdown:
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby Cobra » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:59 pm

Did it for a couple years during the late '80s. Had a bunch of pre-paid big envelopes to fill out data on and send in a dried wing. Sent in 90+ one of those years, fell off my mail ladys Christmas card list though. Still have some of the envelopes. Enjoyable and hope it helped thier research some.
Cobra
hunter

Postby Snaph » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:24 pm

We fill out migratory bird forms when we get our licence, about last years hunting. Maybe my numbers were so low they thought that I would be a good canidate to make the duck numbers look better. I don't know.

fuzzyduckluv....
Snaph
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:16 am

I was sent a survey about a year ago from them also. (I believe that this was the same one) It had numerous questions about what was killed and so forth. If this is the same one, make sure you fill it out and send it to them or you will receive a certified letter from them requesting that you get it back to them as soon as possible.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby MattM1 » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:02 pm

I got one from the fish and wildlife service also but it was for doves and pigeons. I have been filling it out and I'm about to send it back to them. This is definately not a state wildlife survey it is from Dept. of interior. So please take the extra time and participate in this survey. :smile:
TO THE GUNS TO THE GUNS!!!!!!
MattM1
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 1:38 pm

i did that 2 years ago. just filled out what i shot on the days i hunted and what county i hunted in.

btw - a "brant" is a dark colored sea goose.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Mr. 16 gauge » Tue Sep 20, 2005 2:42 pm

I never did a waterfowl survey, but I have done woodcock surveys in the past...had to send in a wing from each bird I shot and tell were it was shot at, what day, and number of cripples & flushes.
"If your dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Mr. 16 gauge
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:52 pm

It isn't too bad, but the body cavity search is a bit unpleasant. Just try to relax. :mrgreen:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby Dogman » Tue Sep 20, 2005 5:33 pm

I got the survey letter end of last season so I filled it out and sent it back.Llast month I got a big envolope with more envolopes in it to return wings.I haven't done this since 1980.
They must have some confidence in me because the next day after the first big envolope arrived another one showed up in the mail.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 6:09 pm

If you get your HIP permit online it asks you to fill it out.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Sep 21, 2005 7:27 am

Snaph wrote:We fill out migratory bird forms when we get our licence, about last years hunting. Maybe my numbers were so low they thought that I would be a good canidate to make the duck numbers look better. I don't know.

fuzzyduckluv....

i am in the same boat with whatever your name is...
Talk 'em into givin' up!

It's easier to get forgiveness than it is permission!
shrpshtr
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology