wood duck populations

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

wood duck populations

Postby KAhunter » Tue Sep 20, 2005 12:26 am

i have been wondering this for a while now... i hunt in va and nc and it seems to me that te wooduck populations are doing pretty well... does anyone have any facts or figures on this? went teal hunting on saturday and i could have killed a bunch of wood ducks saw a couple hundred... anyone have an idea?
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby duckdog » Tue Sep 20, 2005 9:55 am

I to have seen alot of woodie's in Iowa, in the past few year's they reduced the bag limit on them from four down to two. I don't know if that had anything to do with it or not, could'nt hurt anything though. I know Iowa reduced the bag limit on bluebill's this year also, as there population is declining rapidly, hopefully that will have the same impact.
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Tue Sep 20, 2005 3:23 pm

you could check on DU.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Counts

Postby keegan511 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:37 am

The problem with wood ducks is, it is hard to quantify their overall population because of the difficulty in counting them during surveys. This is why many states side with a conservative bag limit. While teal hunting in TX I also saw a number of birds that could have been harvested. I don't know if that helps but thought I would give my 2 cents.

Dan
keegan511
hunter

Postby Penguine » Tue Oct 18, 2005 11:09 am

I know we hit our limit of woodies in 5 minutes (4 birds/2 each). After that they just kept coming in... the marsh literally filled up with em, and they were still landing in the decoys as we were picking them up. was an awesome sight. To bad they were not mallards.
Penguine
hunter

Postby sdgr8wthnter » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:49 pm

Jumped a stock dam last night and two of us killed 4, and saw about 50 sitting in a 40 yard long by 20 yard wide stock dam. Drove by a corn field and saw about another 50 feeding and flying around, so i am also confused on why the bag limit is only 2 a person.
sdgr8wthnter
State Moderator

Postby Sorensen » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:38 pm

I was hunting this weekend and saw and bagged more woodies than anything here in south dakota.
Sorensen
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Tue Oct 18, 2005 10:51 pm

I think most of them moved out of the north side of the state cause it got cold.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby bassinator » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:14 pm

there's a little public hunting pond (about 5 acres) that is about 150 yards from the clinch river. We walked up on it, and God help me if I'm lying, 50 wood ducks exploded from it like a humongous covey of quail. I have never seen wood ducks in groups larger than 4 or 5 before that.:mrgreen: I've also seen a ton of woodies in the creeks fishing Watts Bar lake.
Layin' the Hammer down, one gritter at a time.
bassinator
hunter

woodies

Postby marshwhacker » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:25 pm

same thing here we have so many woodies i could sit on my back porch right in the middle of my neighborhood and shoot my limit every day (2 per day) but i've read somewhere that woodies are hard to survey cause were they fly and roost and eat so they can't get a good number on them so therefore they just make what they think is a conservative limit
marshwhacker
hunter

Postby VTduckman » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:37 am

i really think the bag limit should be raised , mabey only to 3 ( 2 a day for vermont) but they are the only darn duck up here. i will kill my bag in the first 2 shots, no joke. it sucks becuse it is so hard to find ducks that arent woodys.just my 2 cents.
Season Totals-
Canada's-Alot
2 Mallards
2 Blacks
15 Green Wing
5 Wood Ducks
1 Can.
1 Pintail
Hooded Merganser
VTduckman
hunter

Postby Hoosier Drake » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:47 am