Duck Hunting Forum banner

junior in Highschool wanting to major in wildlife management

10K views 31 replies 22 participants last post by  Gilles 
#1 ·
Hey guys i am currently a junior in highschool NY, and was looking at suny cobelskill and it has some nice programs for wildlife management and classes that have to deal with waterfowl and wetland ecoysystems and such. I am pretty well postitve this is what i want to do when i get out of school and i do try hard in school yet seem to only get high 70's low 80's gradewise. What range do you have to be in in able to get accepted if anyone knows or could help please reply. Also does anyone know other than a sat prep test could help you do good on your sat's?? Also any other help would be greatly appreciated for someone interested in this field thanks for any help guys :thumbsup:

#2 ·
Hey buddy--if it's what you want to do, don't let anything stop you! Looks like you posted this a long time ago, so you've probably already made up your mind and know if you were accepted or not. I was a Wildlife Major at the University of Idaho, and have since got a couple Master's degrees and am almost done with my PhD--so I know a thing or two about being a wildlife-type of student! Focus on getting GREAT grades in your math and science courses. I didn't do so hot in some basic Bio classes, Art class, and economics...but I got A's in all my Wildlife classes, and that's what matters! Don't flunk your other classes, but make sure you focus on the courses that are directly applicable to your major.

One of the biggest mistakes you can make is to get lost in the crowd of students. Make sure you take the time to meet your professors, ask for help during office hours, and see if you can get a job or volunteer with one or more of them.

Wildlife/Conservation/Environmental Studies/Ecology----these are all very competitive fields. There are WAAAAY more people hoping to become biologists than there are positions. Most of the positions that are available don't pay well, and the ones that do are going to be VERY competitive. If you want a career in this field, plan on going to grad school. And, the best way to get into grad school is to make connections and demonstrate you are eager to work and learn. Good luck!

#3 ·
I'd have to agree with freebird. Im currently a sophmore at University of Nevada Reno in the wildlife program and love every minute of it. As for grades in highschool just stay solid and make good grades to get accepted to college. And prep for SAT is just study the SAT books out there its not as bad as many would think. Once in college really focus on your classes and like it was said earlier talk to your professors frequently and just focus on graduating at your own pace. I tend to take lighter loads of classes in the fall to leave some time to hunt. Also really work hard on trying to get an internship it really helps to get your name out there and also helps you get good connections. If you want any more info feel free to pm me and I'd be happy to help. Good Luck :beer:

#4 ·
This is big help for me as well i was going to go to school to become an ag teacher but i want to become a wildlife biologist and this is a big help, Ive been talking to a bunch of schools around here that offer the programs and ive lucked up with a community college and a 4 year university that offers the programs and there both only 30 mins away from my house so im pretty excited, Now back on topic to the post i would also have to agree with freebird if that's what you want to do then go with it, don't let anybody tell you what you can and cant do but if your going to do something you better go on through with it 100% sure and make the best of it...believe me learning a hard lesson from all my high school years now, im a senior and i have no keys money going to me nor do i have a great GPA and i did horrible on my ACT, i took the compass test and im going to a community college to get my basics out of the way and then transferring to the 4 year university. anyways best of luck to ya

#7 ·
I am currently a senior in wildlife management courses at UNR, with Birdhunter. If you get into college great, start to plan your career. I have have biologists, and game wardens, as well as advisers tell me its not what you know but who you know. The departments are tight niche groups, and you have to get your name out there. Get summer jobs, VOLUNTEER. do ride alongs.
Good luck.

#9 ·
I agree wholeheartedly with the others, make sure to separate yourself from the other students, join clubs and organizations. Many organizations such as DU, Delta, The Wildlife Society and the Society of Wetland Scientists have student membership rates and or Student chapters that your campus might have. If your campus doesn't have a chapter....start one.

I myself ran into financial problems, and didn't even graduate with my degree. As others have said, gain experience...jobs with DU or Delta or others are great. See if any of your prof's need undergrad assistants. hang out in the bio lab.

I myself just got hired by DU and will be leaving in 2 weeks for a seasonal wetland tech position in North Dakota.

Stay positive and don't let anything stop you

-John

#10 ·
I am currently in my sophomore year of highschool so I have some time to figure things out. But I am looking to go for the same thing in college. I am currently looking at a 2 year Natural Resources A.A.S degree in Natural Resources. I am not able to find anything with a wildlife management degree around where I am from (Minnesota). Does anybody know of some good school around my location for a wildlife management major? Currently I am thinking a 2 year college. What are your guys' opinion on 2 year vs. 4 year. In this day and age should I go to a 4 year or just stick with a 2 year college then go back if I need to. Thanks for all advice. Any advice is welcome! :help:

#11 ·
From my personal experience, talking to those in the field, eventually your going to need at least a 4 year degree. That being said, I think a 2 year degree in Natural Resource Management would be a great jumping point to a Bachelors degree in wildlife, natural resources, environmental science....etc.

Join clubs and societies....do volunteer work until you think you cant do anymore. Make contacts with the local game and fish agencies.

All that being said, I just got my first big break and I have yet to finish either of my degrees.

Just stay hungry and keep at it.

-John

#13 ·
As for the 2 year degree VS the 4 year degree, I'll re-itterate what was said early in the thread.
If you want to become a wildlife biologist, you NEED a masters degree.
Thats means a 4 year b.sci degree and a 2-3 year masters assistantship.
Many biologist jobs REQUIRE you have a PHD just to apply. (that means going back after your masters)
It ain't easy, but if you can hack it, IT'S WORTH IT.

#14 ·
I went to Cal Berkeley for my wildlife management degree, more specifically large mammal biology.

What worked for me on getting a job when I came out of school was working with my professors as an unpaid helper on field work. I spent a summer counting steelhead heading up the Little Sur river down in Big Sur. Then I worked on a deer, pig, lion and coyote trapping program that had access to several of the largest ranches in California. When I graduated, one of the companies...a very large ranching company with ranches all over the west (California, Idaho, Colorado, New Mexico) hired me to take care of their habitat management programs, controlled burns and the like plus run their hunting programs. They had hunting on all ranches, some leased out to outfitters, some that we did ourselves. I did population studies, determined harvest limits that sort of thing.

It was the ideal job for a young man. They paid for flight school so that I could get a pilot's license and use the company planes for my work. When I got married, it got to where this lifestyle didn't work for us. Needed more money and less time away from home... that was 25 years ago. I still miss it but no real regrets.

Get it done, have fun... it is a GREAT career.

#15 ·
There has been a lot of good advice on this post, especially getting your name out there. I may have missed it, but I have to recommend that you just figure on getting a Master's degree. I just retired as a fishery biologist. When I was applying, 30+ years ago, with just a BS, I was competing against all kinds of guys with MS or PhD's...and that was over 30 years ago. Yes, it is possible to get a biologist position without a Master's, but it is VERY difficult. Odds are, with just a Bachelor's, you will get hired as a techincian. Some states don't give professional experience for technician work. Believe me, it can get VERY, VERY frustrating to get passed over for some untested kid with a MS.

#16 ·
riverrat47 said:
There has been a lot of good advice on this post, especially getting your name out there. I may have missed it, but I have to recommend that you just figure on getting a Master's degree. I just retired as a fishery biologist. When I was applying, 30+ years ago, with just a BS, I was competing against all kinds of guys with MS or PhD's...and that was over 30 years ago. Yes, it is possible to get a biologist position without a Master's, but it is VERY difficult. Odds are, with just a Bachelor's, you will get hired as a techincian. Some states don't give professional experience for technician work. Believe me, it can get VERY, VERY frustrating to get passed over for some untested kid with a MS.
I was a BASE Game Warden at Camp Lejeune for about 2 and a half years. Best job I ever had. When I got out I wanted to be a wildlife biologist for the state of TN. They said they hire 2 a year and a masters is the minimum. I agree with whoever above said it was worth it if you can hang with the school for that long.

#17 ·
im a wildlife management major at oklahoma state and you better learn how to study real quick haha im just being honest, chem 1 chem 2 are ball busters along with the upper level ecology courses... ecology of natural resources ect. but if you buckle down it shouldnt be a problem. if your any kind of outdoors man the classes will come to be extremely interesting!

#18 ·
hey oklahoma greenhead, i saw you said your attending oklahoma state for wildlife. what do you think about their program up there and the size of the school? im going to southern nazarene university this fall and then transfering to arkansas tech this spring and im gonna start out there with fisheries biology, but i have really been putting some thought into checking out o state since it is so much closer to okc and all.
Nathanael

#20 ·
Currently a Junior up at Paul Smith's College in Northern New York. We have a great set of professors in our Fisheries and Wildlife Department that have tons of experiance and know how in just about all areas from working with herps to fishes to black bears and everything in between. Also, our campus is really small, so we all know each other and everyone is on a first name basis with their professors, which really helps as the professors know what just about everyones strengths and weaknesses are for each class and lab. Just another place to think about as i wasnt the smartest one in High School back in Sandy Creek, but i already know or pick up on quickly for 75-80% of the material we go over (the other 20-25% is all the math and chem courses). Just another place to think about and always an option for their BS in Fisheries and/or Wildlife Sciences

#21 ·
Krazy Yankee said:
Currently a Junior up at Paul Smith's College in Northern New York. We have a great set of professors in our Fisheries and Wildlife Department that have tons of experiance and know how in just about all areas from working with herps to fishes to black bears and everything in between. Also, our campus is really small, so we all know each other and everyone is on a first name basis with their professors, which really helps as the professors know what just about everyones strengths and weaknesses are for each class and lab. Just another place to think about as i wasnt the smartest one in High School back in Sandy Creek, but i already know or pick up on quickly for 75-80% of the material we go over (the other 20-25% is all the math and chem courses). Just another place to think about and always an option for their BS in Fisheries and/or Wildlife Sciences
do you know a tad mapes?

#22 ·
I graduated with my BS in wildlife management in 2009 from New Hampshire. It is a great major for school. Certain classes can be challenging but all are well worth it. You will meet all the people in your program who have the same interests as you. As long as you are prepared to work hard it will be great. Spending the majority of you classes in the field isn't such a bad thing wither. Good Luck.

Also as everyone has said you will have to get at least your masters if you do want to be a biologist. It is a very competitive field.

#23 ·
longlakesd said:
Krazy Yankee said:
do you know a tad mapes?
I've heard the name tossed around, is he a Freshman?

#24 ·
I am beginning a major in Wildlife/Conservation Management at Missouri State University next semester. I am 37, so I am starting a bit late than most. I already have a bachelors in Marketing of Travel/Tourism and I have spent the last 7 years in the military. Does anyone know what Wildlife Management opportunities opportunities are with the government? Do a lot of Wildlife agencies pay for you to get a Masters?

Thanks,
Brent

#25 ·
See about joining the wildlife society or a student chapter. A few issues last year mentioned opportunities on military bases as wildlife biologists / managers. Welcome to the club, I just turned 29 and am still working on it, so I'm not too far behind you. Good Luck!

-John

#26 ·
Oklahoma Greenhead said:
im a wildlife management major at oklahoma state and you better learn how to study real quick haha im just being honest, chem 1 chem 2 are ball busters along with the upper level ecology courses... ecology of natural resources ect. but if you buckle down it shouldnt be a problem. if your any kind of outdoors man the classes will come to be extremely interesting!
+1

I was a bio major at TX A&M Corpus Christi before going with criminal justice. The basic core science classes are designed to weed out the weak and non-commited...chem 1 & 2, bio, micro, etc, etc. will eat you alive. If you are not able to get A's in HS then....well...something has got to change, either your commitment level or your future goals....not to be mean, but it's the truth.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.