idea for a wood duck box

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

idea for a wood duck box

Postby andrew_kirby » Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:53 pm

i seen on another website companies are making wood duck boxes out of plastic. Well why couldnt you do a low grade version of it and take two gallon milk jugs. invert them punch out the hold where the indents usually are and paint them. then put something inside to act as a ladder for the chicks to climb out
andrew_kirby
State Moderator

Re: idea for a wood duck box

Postby sesimmons » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:25 am

I personally wouldnt recommend it. That was a big push years ago to make wood duck boxes out of plastic. However, no research had been done. What they learned was the heat build up inside certain plastic houses generated too much heat and somewhat cooked the eggs. Use the word "cook" in a figurative manner. Success was lower thus egg failure higher in the plastic boxes with ambient temperature being one of the measured variables. Brood death also occured within the plastic boxes. The location is obviously another variable to consider (i.e, northern versus souther latitudes). My studies were in the southeast. Not northern latitudes, which probably wouldnt have as significant effect. Shade placement, etc.. also are key variables. Some of the products today (plastics) are probably suitable. I have heard of numerous success stories. Just something to think about.

Scott
"Waterfowl are Missionaries of the Air" - Jack Miner
sesimmons
hunter

Postby andrew_kirby » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:35 am

ya i live in the northeastern corner of ohio by lake erie and a large resovoir and was just looking for some cost effiecient ideas where i could produce a lot of them for my local swamps and ponds. nesting season is obviously already here but
andrew_kirby
State Moderator

Postby sesimmons » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:03 am

Ohio, might work just fine?? Good luck and thats definitely cost efficient
"Waterfowl are Missionaries of the Air" - Jack Miner
sesimmons
hunter

Postby cjg » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:36 pm

Sometimes you can get guys with a small local sawmill to donate boards or at least give you a good deal. I've got a small Woodmizer mill and have donated lumber for different causes and would again.
cjg
hunter

Postby andrew_kirby » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:34 am

the idea worked im gonna come up with something better or build of this one for next year
andrew_kirby
State Moderator

Postby grandquay » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:13 am

can you post a pic of the milk jug woodie box?
grandquay
hunter

Postby andrew_kirby » Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:54 pm

im out of the country now but when i get back i will try
andrew_kirby
State Moderator

Postby aunt betty » Wed Sep 19, 2012 11:10 am

Saw this and decided to bump it onto this old thread. It goes here I guess.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=251151133655
The link to these "plastic wood duck boxes" was found on duckhuntingchat.com...
$T2eC16dHJIkE9qU3lQu6BQU3K+kwpg~~60_1.JPG
$T2eC16dHJIkE9qU3lQu6BQU3K+kwpg~~60_1.JPG (45.7 KiB) Viewed 1408 times
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby apexhunter » Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:12 pm

I remember DU having those a few years back and results were so-so. If one is going to put forth the effort to install, maintain and check boxes the small amount of extra work to build them just adds to the enjoyment of the process. A 10' piece of 1x10 roughsawn lumber will make a box (something like cypress is best as it is neutral with smell and has good rot/decay resistance)...just make sure you install a predator guard and clean them out after the broods are hatched and leave the nests.

An older gentleman an hour or so from here that was a high school shop teacher for 30+ years used to get the lumber donated and make hundreds of them each winter in class. Our DU chapter would help him sell a bunch of them and we'd add the extra cash to the donation back to his school and other organizations in the area.
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:02 pm

Yeah, them plastic ones are duckling ovens imo. Just figured I would share what DU will put their name on if there's a buck in it.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby apexhunter » Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:59 pm

aunt betty wrote:Yeah, them plastic ones are duckling ovens imo. Just figured I would share what DU will put their name on if there's a buck in it.

Next fishing trip just take some english muffins, canadian bacon and some hollandaise sauce- find a plastic duck box and you'll have eggs benedict for breakfast :thumbsup:
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby duckdodger24.5 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:48 am

DU would put their name on lead shells if given enough money.
duckdodger24.5
hunter

Postby Camocynergy » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:11 pm

Find your local boy scout/4-H groups and get them to earn their woodworking badges making nest boxes. You might have to "fix" a few up after they give them to you, but free labor.
Camocynergy
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:25 pm

Wood Ducks stay in my swamp all year round. There is a place where I can usually slip up on 40-80 Woodies, living peacefully among the Cypress. Would there be a benefit to building them some boxes? Population is certainly strong, I've just been thinking I might help them out. Don't know much about these boxes.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby klee7013 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:24 am

You could put 2 or 3 out and check it and keep records of it for 2 years
and if they have a successful hatches then yes i would say its worth it. if not pull them out

for example we started boxes 6 years ago. they have been doing well we added some more 2 years ago and after the first year had two boxes that had 30+ eggs unhatched so we moved them because they where hurting more than they where helping. We number our boxes and keep records ever year of unhatched, if its used, if all eggs hatched, if baby ducklings stuck inside of box, etc
and make changes per the records we keep now.
klee7013
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:46 pm

Thanks! Sounds interesting and the kind of thing I like to do. I'll have to research the boxes, the how, what, when, and where, on this.
AR Dave
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology