Marsh restoration

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Marsh restoration

Postby KAhunter » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:50 am

This year we burned our marsh for the first time in about 8 years. Alot of the old holes that were open water and would fill up with ducks are now chocked out by grasses. We have done some spraying to control phrag and open up some areas i am just curious if anyone has anyone other methods. I dont think dynamite is an option and i dont have a 4 wheeler/ atv. I am up for anything. We used roundup to control the phrag, could i use that to kill some other areas and open up the marsh?? I know its more environmentally friendly than most othe herbicides. Anyways just wanting some suggestions, need to get some ducks back or atleast get a few more. Thanks.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Re: Marsh restoration

Postby clemaire2 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:51 pm

roundup is one of the best that i found and the best time to spray is after you burn and it starts greening up agian then come back and spray it one more time about 3 weeks later
clemaire2
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:07 am

nice thats what i was hoping i am going the roundup way i wanna open up some marsh and create some more water holes so hopefully that will work out well
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

KAhunter
hunter

Postby bigbuckilla » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:46 pm

i have a question: how do i keep the marsh that i have from washing away. an island i lease was 9 acres in 1980, now its about 20' x 20' and at the rate its going the island will be gone in two or three years. I started leasing it three years ago and noticed how rapidly it was getting smaller and smaller in just 3 years... when told the owner that the island will be gone in a few years and he told me how big it was when he bought it., i told him i will do everything in my power to keep that island there. a few days ago i went out there with 19 bales of straw and pinned them to the north side, then ran 8' oak stakes in a few areas and little satalite islands to pin them down to the bottom.
im too poor for riprap or bulkheading.. so im just winging it. this week i was gonna go out there with a bag of fertalizer and a few native grasses and bushes and plant/ place them on there. what else can i do? for cheap...or even better free...
bigbuckilla
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:12 am

thats your best bet is trying to control the erosion with hay or coir logs... coir logs are a little mor expensive but if you stake them in they collect sediment behind them and will help to build out your island.. you can then plant behind them with whatever native beneficial plant you want to both help with erosion as well as duck food (depends on type of water as to what you can plant)... like i said they may be a little more expensive(maybe not, not sure on the price) but you may be able to find something on your own to use and install it yourself.. check out pinelands nursery for more info, they have a website... good luck.. just a note my phlosophy and belief (one i strongly support and believe to be very true) is that habitat management (whether it be an impoundment or marsh or crp or whatever) is the way of the future for duck hunting, ive seen some areas go to sh*t where nothing is being done and there is no management whatsoever (working on fixing that now) and ive seen the hunting getter siginificantly better where grasses and other duck food have been planted and managed to help grow and thrive as to allow for a stable food source in the winter.. ive jumped on board and habitat management has become my passion and hobby for the future of waterfowling

KAhunter
hunter

Postby clemaire2 » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:28 pm

we plant cord grass/oyster grass down here for erosin problems it is a very hardy plant it will grow out of water, in to water to about a foot deep , it will grow in salt water are fresh
clemaire2
hunter

Postby forester11 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:56 am

This in response to the original post, not sure what to do about the island. The issue you are having with the pot holes filling in with vegetation is going to be a tough one to fix spraying them isn't going to help and it may end up making the situation worse.

Each year as the vegetation dies it falls to the bottom of the pot hole and if you don't have a high enough oxygen content in the water to support vegetation eating bacteria, nematodes etc...it just stays there and causes the pot hole to fill in over time. If you spray you're just speeding up the rate of organic deposition in the pot hole. The increase in grass volume you are seeing is likely a result of shallower water within the pot hole which increases the amount of bottom that has enough light to support grass growth.

Unfortunately the simplest and most effective way to correct this would be to drain the area for several years to let the organic matter decompose, then reflood. Depending on terrain and other factors you may be able to get an excavator or backhoe in there and clean out the bottom of the pot holes as well. I hope this helps feel.
forester11
hunter

Postby forester11 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:08 am

I've thought about this a little bit more and another source of your problem may be pH. This is typically usually more of a problem in spruce bogs. If your marsh is too acidic it also won't support the bacteria etc...that you need to keep your potholes from filling in. There are three possible sources for increasing acidity, surrounding vegetation, acid rain and run off from an external source (agricultural land, roads, industry etc). If your marsh is surrounded by conifers (softwoods) they may be affecting the pH.

The first thing you should do is check the pH of the marsh water with a litmus test (you should be able to buy one at a place that sells swimming pool equipment). Check it in as many places as you can, potholes that are filling in, ones that are stable, near the shore, in the middle of the pothole, on the surface and near the bottom. Ideally you want a pH that is neutral to slightly acidic, (pH of 6.7-7.0). Unfortunately this is only the water pH and in the best case scenario you would want soil and water both but you really need some sort of background in soil sciences when trying to determine soil pH.

Now this problem may be easier to fix than the dissolved oxygen content of the water. As a long term fix if you are dealing with conifers surrounding your marsh you may want to consider planting some hardwoods. In the short term if you lime the hell out of your marsh you should be able to lower the pH.

pH and oxygen levels are the first two things that occured to me when I read about your problem. There may well be other potential sources of the problem as well as alternate ways to fix them. You may want to talk to your local duck biologist, DU or Delta chapter or someone at your local university.
forester11
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:33 am

the filling in problem was from lack of burn management, we didnt burn it in like 10 years and alot of the potholes have filled in... just from burning this last year it has helped tremendously to open it up... thanks for the input but its a coastal, tidal( well wind driven) marsh so draining is a no go and pH isnt a factor as the sound water moves in and out with the wind... we are basically trying ot open up some holes and hope for the best... i think we are gonna try and burn it one more time next year and then get back to a 2 or 3 year cycle...

KAhunter
hunter

Postby forester11 » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:00 am

Burning it would definitely reduce your organic matter hadn't thought of that. It'll likely work especially where its coastal so your water levels are going to be constantly changing. You should burn it on a day where the water is low.
forester11
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:48 pm

yeah we burned it this winter (mostly in february) and the results are already apparent... there was alot of wildlife (frogs and snakes especiially, almost had my junk hit by a cottonmouth) and its opened up alot.. i found for opening up/ getting a good consistent burn is to burn as much at one time as possible, lighting about every foot and letting it go as this gets a good hot fire going that burns everything!! im going back next weekend i will post a report and pics hopefully... gonna plug some grass out in the sound as we lost almost ALL of our grass last year and we need to get it back, hopefully that will take

KAhunter
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology