Duck food plot

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Duck food plot

Postby Champney » Tue May 12, 2009 5:38 pm

I have a piece of land with a timber swamp and a pond on it and I'm planting wild rice in and around the pond since it worked good in on the lake last year. Was wondering if anybody knew if theres anything I can grow on the field next to it and the shore line that the ducks or geese will use and doesn't take a lot of money to maintain? Didn't know if the biologic stuff at cabelas worked on land or if I'm going to have to plant some other stuff. I don't really care about the geese because the farmer plants corn next to it every year and the geese pile in there every year.
Champney
hunter

Re: Duck food plot

Postby side-slippin » Wed May 13, 2009 3:30 am

never used it, but i've been doing quite a bit of research on the biologic "guides choice" if thats what your talkin about. The bulk of Guide’s Choice was chosen for its ability to perform in a variety of conditions — wet or dry — with the other ingredients in the blend favoring one condition or the other. limited reviews on cabelas seem decent. planning on trying it either this season or next around the edges of a pond along with some smartweed out in the center of the pond.

my personal favorite that i've seen was jeff foiles place. 40 arces of corn stalk, with an area cut down in the middle and then flooded. i dont think that you can get to much better than that.
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology