Shot size

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Shot size

Postby BGHHH » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:24 pm

Hi! I am new to goose hunting and just bought two boxes of 2 shot 3 inch ultra shok high density federal. Well this be okay for geese?
BGHHH
Newb

Re: Shot size

Postby FeatherFanatic » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:45 pm

it would probally cause more cripples then anything. ill shoot #2 3 1/2" black could in a pinch but 3" shells id go to BB
R.I.P Dusty miller
You can never have to much money, calls, guns or honey holes
FeatherFanatic
hunter

Postby WeimerHeimer » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:47 am

I used #2 Hevi-Metal this past Monday hunting. I shot one Canadian Goose with it and it was a nice clean kill. I've found the Early Season birds here in PA are smaller birds than we get in the Late Season, so I go with #2 shot. Now in the fall I'll step it up a bit and go with BB.

More importantly, you need to pattern your gun. See how it shoots with #2 shot VS. #BB shot AND try different chokes while you're at it. Every gun shoots differently.

Good Luck!
Atlantic Flyway
Member:
DU
NRA
York Riflemen
Team Flock Busters
WeimerHeimer
hunter

Postby Brent » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:13 pm

Geese are weird.

I hit one three times Saturday with 3.5" Remington HD BB's and it soaked up all three chunk producing hits before it hit the water with its head still up. It was shockingly huge and none of us ever recalled seeing one anywhere near this big during the early season. It was a monster.

The same morning I shot a normal size bird with 3" #4 Hevi-Shot that were old enough to be Remington labeled that folded the goose with one hit.

I always think I have the right goose load figured out then something weird happens.

Brent
Brent
hunter

Postby NickK » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:58 pm

I don't put any shells through my shotgun for waterfowl that are larger than #2 shot. ALL STEEL. I don't waste the money on that high density crap. Steel puts 'em down fine if you know your limits :hi:
Nick
Love to duck hunt :)
NickK
hunter

Postby mccree79 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 10:33 pm

I prefer BB, but #2 will kill geese. Just don't count on the "Hail Mary" 60 yard shot to work with #2s.
mccree79
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Sun Sep 13, 2009 2:36 am

#1s are my favorite. Maybe 2s for early season, but all around I use 1s
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby Didgeridoo » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:54 pm

Started the year off with Kent #2's for geese. Ended the year with 3-inch BBB Kents. This load seems to pattern really nice and reaches out for those double taps on cripples (pretty rare when throwing BBB's at em.) I just found I was getting way too many cripples with the smaller shot size. And that's with geese being right on top of us. Sometimes we clearly hit geese with #2 and it'd seem to not penetrate the feathers. You could hear it hit the bird and the bird would flinch but keep flying, unscathed.

The smallest I'd go now is BB's unless you know they're going to be within 20 yards landing in your decoys.
Didgeridoo
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:54 pm

#2's will kill them just fine...heck I've bagged many with #3's. Keep them within 30yrd and you'll bring home many limits of birds. :thumbsup:
Butt, Belly, Bill :biggrin:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby Professor Chaos » Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:10 pm

I have been shooting HD 2s and 4s at the geese around here. I really like them. i've killed geese with 8s,and up though so its more about shot placement than anything.
Believe Everything You Read On The Internet
Professor Chaos
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:56 pm

Didgeridoo wrote:Started the year off with Kent #2's for geese. Ended the year with 3-inch BBB Kents. This load seems to pattern really nice and reaches out for those double taps on cripples (pretty rare when throwing BBB's at em.) I just found I was getting way too many cripples with the smaller shot size. And that's with geese being right on top of us. Sometimes we clearly hit geese with #2 and it'd seem to not penetrate the feathers. You could hear it hit the bird and the bird would flinch but keep flying, unscathed.

The smallest I'd go now is BB's unless you know they're going to be within 20 yards landing in your decoys.

I totally agree with this quote. I couldn't have said it better myself.

goosehunter64 wrote:#2's will kill them just fine...heck I've bagged many with #3's. Keep them within 30yrd and you'll bring home many limits of birds. :thumbsup:
Butt, Belly, Bill :biggrin:

You may have the luxury of having geese within 30 yards all the time, but I certainly don't. You've probably got a trailer full of full bodies and permission in the best fields around. I don't, and I'll kill geese at 70 yards if I have to. I've done it many times, today was one of 'em. You won't kill late season Canadas with #3's at more than 30 yards with anything less than a head or neck shot.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby stevensinks » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:22 pm

Last year I killed 98 using 3 1/2 inch kent 2,s. 92 of those were in Jan and Feb. and most hit the ground stone cold dead. No lease, no big decoy spread, most were on public ground. You hit them in the head and not in the butt and no goose has too many feathers. You just have to check your pattern and know your limits.
Charlie
stevensinks
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:57 am

stevensinks wrote:Last year I killed 98 using 3 1/2 inch kent 2,s. 92 of those were in Jan and Feb. and most hit the ground stone cold dead. No lease, no big decoy spread, most were on public ground. You hit them in the head and not in the butt and no goose has too many feathers. You just have to check your pattern and know your limits.

I'm not saying you can't kill 'em with 2's, but if you hit 'em in the body and not the head, those birds are flying off with shot in 'em. I don't know about you, but I'm not a good enough shot to hit 'em in the head every time. If I put 2 - 3 BBB's in the body, he's comin' down. Not to mention 1 BBB will break a wing every time. I don't mind runnin' 'em down if I have to. Better than lettin' 'em fly off and die, which even with big shot happens occasionally. That's just part of the game. :thumbsup:
Papachessie
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:40 pm

you shoot geese at 70 yards? wow, that's a pretty sure recipe for crippled birds and unethical hunting. Nice example.

Get the birds within 30 yards and you'll kill 'em just fine with 3" #2. On windy days and later in the season I switch to BB's.

If you can't get them in that close then change how you're hunting.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby QUACK3XS » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:03 pm

[quote="Papachessie"]I don't, and I'll kill geese at 70 yards if I have to. I've done it many times, today was one of 'em.[\quote]

Really :no: ..........waterfowlers are well known for misjudging distance. I'm hoping this is the case with your statement above, if not, I'm really glad you don't hunt anywhere near me.......& knowingly taking a long shot just to "Hope & Pray" is bad practice. Why not shoot the ones in range? or if you can't get them that close...change your set up. I'm a freelance hunter...i don't lease, i don't pay to hunt land...EVER. The difference is I kill geese in range but, i don't need to kill geese. Only Rookies & those who just have to kill take that kind of shot.

my .02 cents worth..........not claiming to be better than you, just hoping you can change something in your total hunt (spread,hide...etc..) that can give you the advantage
U.S. NAVY SEABEE VETERAN
QUACK3XS
hunter

Postby quackerattacker » Wed Dec 23, 2009 5:06 pm

harvey1b wrote:you shoot geese at 70 yards? wow, that's a pretty sure recipe for crippled birds and unethical hunting. Nice example.

Get the birds within 30 yards and you'll kill 'em just fine with 3" #2. On windy days and later in the season I switch to BB's.

...it'd be easier to move a few thousand miles to the north where you guys are and just shoot 'em while they're still stupid, harvey. You should try it after they've been hunted a few months, shot at a few hundred times, and educated by the real goose hunters... :lol3:

Just curious, if his kill per shot ratio beyond 30 yards is equal to or better than yours inside o 30...what would it matter? Would you also consider anyone that refuses to shoot a few cases o shells at clays durin' the off season just as unethical? What should your shot per kill ratio be to be considered an ethical waterfowler, in your own opinion, harvey?
uhmmmm...ya sure that's a duck...i dunt see no green head
quackerattacker
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:22 pm

quackerattacker wrote:
harvey1b wrote:you shoot geese at 70 yards? wow, that's a pretty sure recipe for crippled birds and unethical hunting. Nice example.

...it'd be easier to move a few thousand miles to the north where you guys are and just shoot 'em while they're still stupid, harvey. You should try it after they've been hunted a few months, shot at a few hundred times, and educated by the real goose hunters... :lol3:

Just curious, if his kill per shot ratio beyond 30 yards is equal to or better than yours inside o 30...what would it matter? Would you also consider anyone that refuses to shoot a few cases o shells at clays durin' the off season just as unethical? What should your shot per kill ratio be to be considered an ethical waterfowler, in your own opinion, harvey?

My stepson and I killed 4 birds yesterday and 2 were at around 70 yards, one at 50 and one at 20. 70 yards isn't that hard if your using BBB and the right choke. We fired 6 shots yesterday, the two that didn't bring down birds were clean misses. I've been killin' geese for about 25 years, I know how far they are and I know my limitations. Call me unethical if you like, but I'll bet you cripple more geese with your duck loads at close range than I do at long range with real goose loads. I guarantee birds fly off with plenty of #2 shot in their belly and people think they missed. If you don't hit 'em in the head or neck, you'd be hard pressed to bring down a late season big Canada with # 2's. Even if I have birds within 30 yards, which I do more times than not, I would still be shootin' nothing less than BB. Look at the pics in "Past Hunts" the only birds in those pics killed with anything smaller than BB are the snows and blues. I was using # 1's and everyone else in those pics were using BB or BBB.
Papachessie
hunter

Postby gooserslan » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:04 pm

Your load will work but if you are strictly goose hunting i would recommend bumping it up to BB. If its a goose and duck combo hunt then you are right on the money with your 2 shot.
Season Totals.
Flambeau Wood Duck- 1
GHG Wood Duck - 1
GHG Mallard Hot Buy- 2
Big Foot Canada Floater - 1
gooserslan
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:07 pm

gooserslan wrote:Your load will work but if you are strictly goose hunting i would recommend bumping it up to BB. If its a goose and duck combo hunt then you are right on the money with your 2 shot.

Good advice, and don't forget, don't try to kill the geese over 30 - 35 yards.
Papachessie
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:49 am

quakerattacker . . . cry me a river. 1 shot - 1 kill is what I go for. It doesn't always work that way, but that's the goal. I kill geese that get a lot of pressure. Many of the birds we hunt never leave the area, but you wouldn't know anything about that.

I am not going to get into a debate on the internet on Christmas Eve. Boasting that you shoot birds out at 70 yards is irresponsible.

Keep up the good work guys. :thumbsup:
harvey1b
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:03 am

harvey1b wrote:quakerattacker . . . cry me a river. 1 shot - 1 kill is what I go for. It doesn't always work that way, but that's the goal. I kill geese that get a lot of pressure. Many of the birds we hunt never leave the area, but you wouldn't know anything about that.

I am not going to get into a debate on the internet on Christmas Eve. Boasting that you shoot birds out at 70 yards is irresponsible.

Keep up the good work guys. :thumbsup:

You decided to be in the debate when you posted this. And I do regret saying I kill 'em at 70 yards, but not because it's unethical, but because it started this crap. Like I said, we killed 4 birds in 6 shots Tuesday, 3 shots each. I think that's a pretty good ratio. Monday was a whole different story, they came right over our heads at 30 ft. and we couldn't hit the broad side of a barn because our patterns were probably 5 inches at that distance. Believe me, if we were hittin' 'em they'ed have come down...with a big hole in 'em. We ended up with our 4, but after whistling about 10 missed shots past their heads. I can't see where either of those hunts would be unethical.
Papachessie
hunter

Postby canbakchaser » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:18 am

my dad shot him Image with regular steel 2s at 30 yards
Special Thanks to Autumn Wings Decoys for donating the 2011-2012 Central Flyway Rambler.
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby Littlejohnny29 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:13 am

Well put.

For those of you that killed birds out to 70 yrds - that's great, so did I. You'll kill more birds cleanly if you work them in close - like your suppose to.

All of our birds are killed w/in that range (30 -40yrds). One person in our group hunts w/ a 20 gauge (3" BB, sometimes #2's). And we kill the same amount of birds as the cowboys taking 70 yrd shots. I mostly use #2's 3" heavy steel or kent fs. Work fine. Few cripples, lot's of clean kills.

IC choke works fine. No need for full (IMOP).

"Get'm close, kill them clean"
"One day before I die, I am going to hunt flooded timber in Arkansas"
Littlejohnny29
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:51 pm

canbakchaser wrote:my dad shot him Image with regular steel 2s at 30 yards

Too bad there's not going to be much salvageable meat from that one. I like to eat what I shoot, and I don't like chewing on #2 steel. I can find BB and bigger pretty easily, although most go all the way through the breast. You'll be pickin' #2's for an hour. :no:
Papachessie
hunter

Postby TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:01 pm

ive seen geese die from #4 through size f
waterfowler20 wrote:
getemducks wrote:I am new to this but I think what you have there is a duck. :huh:

Are you crazy! That ain't no duck, thats one of'dem cackler gooses! :hi:
TEAM WEBFOOTPOSSE
hunter

Next

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum