Shot size

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Re: Shot size

Postby Remingtonguy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:30 am

My favorite goose load is the kent fasteel #1 3inch 1 1/4oz. I like to use it with my modified choke.

Clint
2009-2010 Season: Ducks 72, Geese 15
2010-2011 Season: Ducks 113, Geese 9
Remingtonguy
hunter

Postby canbakchaser » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:06 pm

Papachessie wrote:
canbakchaser wrote:my dad shot him Image with regular steel 2s at 30 yards

Too bad there's not going to be much salvageable meat from that one. I like to eat what I shoot, and I don't like chewing on #2 steel. I can find BB and bigger pretty easily, although most go all the way through the breast. You'll be pickin' #2's for an hour. :no:
actually it all punched right through it was fine the chest feathers were a little torn up
Special Thanks to Autumn Wings Decoys for donating the 2011-2012 Central Flyway Rambler.
canbakchaser
hunter

Postby mtquackstacker » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:52 am

I shoot nothing but 2s and 3s outta mt gun and I drop geese stone dead. I only shoot Winchester xpert. If you can't kill geese with this then they're to damn far away. I watch guys shooting at geese 60 and 70 yards up and 90 percent of the time they don't hit them and when they do they are crippled and un retrievable because they fell in the next county. Just shoot birds in average shotgun range and at that point high density loads and 30 dollar boxes of shells aren't worth anything.
mtquackstacker
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:14 pm

Shot size is most often determined by the style of hunting you are doing. The three big geese in the picture were killed stone dead using a 3" load of 2s thru an improved cylinder choke. These birds were taken at 20 yds hanging over the decoys. As the situation changes and I am forced to hunt at a lengthier distances I often will choke down and go up on the shot size to BBs. These were big birds 12,12 and 13 lbs respectively, but at 20 yds a fast load of 2s has a killing effect.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:35 pm

I completely agree that #2's will kill 'em at close range (IMO about 35 yards or less). But, I'm shootin' BB's or BBB's even at that range because they're much easier to find in the birds if they don't go completely through and I never know if the birds are going to cooperate and get inside that magical range. BBB's will kill 'em just as dead at 20 yards as #2's.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:02 pm

Papachessie wrote: BBB's will kill 'em just as dead at 20 yards as #2's.

A point well taken . When shooting 2s thru a relatively open choke I must show patience and allow them to enter the dead zone. But on the other hand the pellet count dispersal of a load of 2s within that zone has the effect of making me a much better shot .
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby vapor300 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:19 am

i am shooting hevi shot goose 2's and have been killing geese from 20 yards all the way to 70! And yes i will take a shot at 70 yards, last hunt i was on we kill 6 honks and 5 ducks 4 of the ducks where killed beteen 60-80 yards, they where just getting call shy so we figured we try one, after we killed the first one did we killed 3 more at the same distance, except for one gadwall that we killed at 20 yards. Then we had a single goose come over at about 50 yards and i dropped him dead, last group of 5 honks came in and we got all of them.

Know your limits if you cant hit a duck or goose at 70 yards then dont shot, if you can shot, i killed alot of ducks this season all have been anywhere from 10-70 yards, and 90% have been stoned, i think its alot to do with shooting hevi shot and a patternmaster, but for you all saying we are unethical for shooting and killing ducks at 70 yards. cry me a river!
vapor300
hunter

Postby gooserslan » Tue Jan 05, 2010 6:16 pm

You are unethical for shooting and killing ducks at 70 yards.
Season Totals.
Flambeau Wood Duck- 1
GHG Wood Duck - 1
GHG Mallard Hot Buy- 2
Big Foot Canada Floater - 1
gooserslan
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:16 pm

Boys and Girls ***???? 70 and 80 yard shots really??? I dont call shots at 45 let alone 70. Bring em in folks, learn to call, camo yourself better, or switch your spread. And we waterfowlers wonder why birds get call and decoy shy. :no:
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Postby goosehunter64 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:40 pm

Papachessie wrote:
Didgeridoo wrote:Started the year off with Kent #2's for geese. Ended the year with 3-inch BBB Kents. This load seems to pattern really nice and reaches out for those double taps on cripples (pretty rare when throwing BBB's at em.) I just found I was getting way too many cripples with the smaller shot size. And that's with geese being right on top of us. Sometimes we clearly hit geese with #2 and it'd seem to not penetrate the feathers. You could hear it hit the bird and the bird would flinch but keep flying, unscathed.

The smallest I'd go now is BB's unless you know they're going to be within 20 yards landing in your decoys.

I totally agree with this quote. I couldn't have said it better myself.

goosehunter64 wrote:#2's will kill them just fine...heck I've bagged many with #3's. Keep them within 30yrd and you'll bring home many limits of birds. :thumbsup:
Butt, Belly, Bill :biggrin:

You may have the luxury of having geese within 30 yards all the time, but I certainly don't. You've probably got a trailer full of full bodies and permission in the best fields around. I don't, and I'll kill geese at 70 yards if I have to. I've done it many times, today was one of 'em. You won't kill late season Canadas with #3's at more than 30 yards with anything less than a head or neck shot.

You may have the luxury of having geese within 30 yards all the time, No I don't

You've probably got a trailer full of full bodies and permission in the best fields around. No I don't

I'll kill geese at 70 yards if I have to. I've done it many times, today was one of 'em. You sir are very irrsponsible(SP)

You won't kill late season Canadas with #3's at more than 30 yards with anything less than a head or neck shot. Bingo.

Maybe you need to scout more, or learn the fundamentals of goose hunting better....but shooting at 70yds is wrong. Oh I know you are sitting there behind your keyboard thinking?...yeah I do kill many at 70yds and feel good about it....well sir, how many do you wound.....how many....the thing is, you'll never know, because you can't tell that far out how much shot they are flying off with.
I'm no means saying I've never wounded and won't in the future...but I keep my birds 40yds and under, more on the side of under.
If I have to take a shot at 50 and beyond, 99% of the time, I will not take it.
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby vapor300 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:35 am

Killed 2 today that where 50+ yards, sorry that you dont know how to shoot high and kill ducks and geese! There is a big difference between geese that are straight above you 70 yards and geese that are 70 yards straight out, if you know how to shoot 9 times out of 10 your going to kill those geese that are 70 yards straight up, but if there straight out 70 yards your chances will go down, have i done it, yes, have i killed geese that far, yes, is it the best shot to take, no. But if its a slow day and i think it mite be the only geese where going to get and i dont think there going do it right, those geese are coming down. And i wont do this if its more then 2-3 geese, if its a flock of 4 or more ill let them go. but with 5 guys in the blind all shooting 3 1/2 hevi shot and all of us are good shooters, ill bet money we get all of them.

Ok continue on with the cry baby, where unethical hunters crap!
vapor300
hunter

Postby Quackermasher » Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:38 am

I like to use high speed BB's, just my preference but I've chased enough geese in my life time across a field waddling in the snow & mud.
Quackermasher
hunter

Postby jfry » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:23 pm

For geese that are decoying well, I have shot them with 3" hevi-shot 4s through an IC choke. I shot geese yesterday at 40 yds with hevi-metal 3s in a mod choke. Both dropped like rocks. I usually try for head shots but there are times when body shots will do it as well.
jfry
hunter

Postby Decoy King » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:10 pm

All the geese I've shot have been with 2 3/4in, Fiocchi #2 shot. My gun only shoot 2 3/4in and they have all been clean kill.
Decoy King
hunter

Postby waterfowler20 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:15 pm

Decoy King wrote:All the geese I've shot have been with 2 3/4in, Fiocchi #2 shot. My gun only shoot 2 3/4in and they have all been clean kill.

I doubt they are clean kills with 2 3/4 in shells, i doubt you can even kill them.
Take'Em
waterfowler20
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:26 pm

waterfowler20 wrote:
Decoy King wrote:All the geese I've shot have been with 2 3/4in, Fiocchi #2 shot. My gun only shoot 2 3/4in and they have all been clean kill.

I doubt they are clean kills with 2 3/4 in shells, i doubt you can even kill them.

Don't bet on that. I had a buddy that killed geese with a .410 just for the sport of it. Plenty of geese fall to 2-3/4" shells. I don't know if the King there killed 'em or not, but plenty of other people have. Your just going to give up a few BB's or a few FPS.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby waterfowler20 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:53 pm

Ya i know what you mean.
Last edited by waterfowler20 on Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Take'Em
waterfowler20
hunter

Postby FeatherFanatic » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:21 pm

i shot a canada that was 18lbs and it was 6'3 wing tip to wing tip. and heres your pic, that lab is 100 lbs

I shot it with 3 1/2 black could bb tho
Attachments
hoss's first.jpg
R.I.P Dusty miller
You can never have to much money, calls, guns or honey holes
FeatherFanatic
hunter

Postby Camochevy21 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:21 pm

Anything under 2 is fine, but my 2 cents is

3 1/2" BBB with an extended long range patternmaster. :thumbsup:
Camochevy21
hunter

Postby fishfurlife » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:52 pm

I shoot geese with steel #4's. Kills them stone dead. Shoot what you are comfortable with. I hunt with a guy that swears that you couldn't kill a goose with anything smaller than bb's, yet he hunts with me. I like to hedge my odds to having more pellets out there to strike the goose in a deadly area.

A good friend of mine converted me years ago to #6's for ducks and #4's for geese. Ponder this........ How many of you turkey hunt with #6's. I know it is lead, but it is a dang bigger animal and it kills them stone dead. I shoot #4's and the odds are in my favor. I finish the geese to the point that by my third shot the geese are rarely more then 35 yards away. Most times I only shhot twice anyways, if that. I enjoy watching others shoot.
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby comnndduckhunter » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:05 pm

T-shot will kill geese at 70 yards patterned with the right choke and I dont care how many decoys you put out on public land if you cant get were the birds want to be they may only give 50-70 yards if you can see the white of there cheeks you can hit them but if you don't know if you can do it dont! T shot can crumple geese flat dead at 70 yards but it takes homework get to the pattern board and check those ranges that will tell you what you can or can't do T shot carries a lot of energy problem is nobody does there homework at the range as far as 2s and 3s I have hard time killing geese at 30 yards with those loads 2s and 3s wound a lot of geese in my book save em for ducks bbb is also great load bbs 50-60 yards no problem path shoot snow geese for a couple springs you will be judge distance pretty well.
comnndduckhunter
hunter

Postby kwacker » Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:51 pm

I find it kind of funny that an expert shot like Papachessie can figure out the lead and angle of a goose at 70 yds and kill it stone dead but cannot hit a goose at 30 ft. word of advice on that 30 ft bird, put the bead on the neck and folow through, at that range you probably could hit them with a slug if it was legal. Sorry, but not a fan of the 70 yd shot.
kwacker
hunter

Postby fishfurlife » Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:17 pm

comnndduckhunter wrote:T-shot will kill geese at 70 yards patterned with the right choke and I dont care how many decoys you put out on public land if you cant get were the birds want to be they may only give 50-70 yards if you can see the white of there cheeks you can hit them but if you don't know if you can do it dont! T shot can crumple geese flat dead at 70 yards but it takes homework get to the pattern board and check those ranges that will tell you what you can or can't do T shot carries a lot of energy problem is nobody does there homework at the range as far as 2s and 3s I have hard time killing geese at 30 yards with those loads 2s and 3s wound a lot of geese in my book save em for ducks bbb is also great load bbs 50-60 yards no problem path shoot snow geese for a couple springs you will be judge distance pretty well.

IF you do your homework then you know that #4's are lethal to and beyond 40 yards. If you shoot for the head and not the body then there is no problem. I hunt public and I decoy and finish geese. I don't call shots until they are in your face. Personally, if a guy that was hunting with me tried to pull up on a goose at or near 70 yards up or out, I would give him the talk about ethical shots. Your T shot allows you to hit them in the body or anywhere else for that matter and knock them out of the air. My 4's hit them in the head or neck where I aim and finish the job before they hit the ground. I am not knocking your style or your methods, just clarifying that if you did your homework you would know that even #6's are lethal out to 40 yards. More pellets=more chances at a lethal strike, that is my theory that I don't try to impose on anyone else.
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby comnndduckhunter » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:34 am

if you use 4 shot what happens when you dont hit the head of the goose? I agree if you hit em in the head anything is possibe when I hunt in Nd the birds are big if you hit the bodys with 4 shot you get a wounded bird I have shot them under 40 with 3 shot feathers flyin everywere bird dissapeared over the horizon if it works for you awesome but I use bb-Tshot because the game and fish recommend it and so does the back of the shotshell box if you buy federal shotshells its printed on the back I try not to make a habit of 70 yard shots but we have all done it some days birds just dont want anything to do with you I wish it weren't that way
but it is. good luck however you want to do it
Last edited by comnndduckhunter on Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
comnndduckhunter
hunter

Postby Camochevy21 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:06 am

4 shot are for cripples, not geese. imo

80 yard shots huh? You guys must be hunting in Batchtown. That is a little steep, but sometimes you got to do what you got to do.

What chokes are you guys using that you're killing geese at 80 yards.
Camochevy21
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum