Shot size

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Re: Shot size

Postby fishfurlife » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:20 am

Big geese have over a foot of neck and head, if you can't place your shot string there, then you need not hunt them. Little geese are no bigger than mallards in some instances. I know my limits with my shot size, and I have far less cripples than any of the guys I hunt with that use BBB or BB. You can assume they are for cripples, but until you have seen it in action then I wouldn't tell me what it is for. It doesn't matter what the shot size is, a poor shot is just that. I don't shoot or call shots unless I know that we all have chances to kill. Just because you might have three rounds in your gun doesn't mean you need to empty your gun at every group that comes in. That is how you cripple birds. Be aware of your choice of shot and use it in it's lethal effective range.

By the way, here is a picture of a bunch of cripples that were shot yesterday with mostly #4's and #2's. 8 men, 3 of the 27 geese had to be picked up outside of 100 yards because they sailed that far and fell dead. Like I said, please use what you are comfortable with, but don't tell me what is or is not effective without doing your homework. On that note, yes, there are shot size recommendations on some shot boxes, but they are not required shot sizes to kill waterfowl. It is a great starting point for most "Beginner" hunters that are looking to get into it.
fishfurlife
hunter

Postby Camochevy21 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:23 am

Hey hey hey, don't get angry. These are all just opinions, if you can kill your geese with 4s then do it. My thing is, I'm comfortable with bigger shot on everything, ducks geese whatever. To be honest, the best shell i have ever used for geese is Hevi shot #2s, but they are too expensive for a 22 year old so I went back to my estates. It just what everyone is comfortable with.
Camochevy21
hunter

Postby CluckinCrazy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:59 am

i shoot all my geese with 3" #2's launched from a browning gold with pattermaster extended range choke and i have had many clean kills with that 3rd and final shot pushing 60+ yards
WANTED TO BUY
RNT (blackout daisy cutter)
RNT ( Bois D'arc short barrel)
Tim Grouinds Real Thang (gold nugget or butterscotch)
Zink PH-2 or PH-1 (carmel swirl) (copper)
Zink Beanies
LEFT HANDED Athens Archery BUCK COMMANDER Bow
CluckinCrazy
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:12 pm

I killed a pair last seaon with 2 3/4 #4 at over 50 yards. Both geese were over 10 pounds. The year before I shot a 20 pounder with the same load at atleast 40yds and it hit the ground dead. That was while I was duck hunting. If i were just going for geese i'd shoot 3in BB or 3 1/2 BBB
duckman27
hunter

Postby comnndduckhunter » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:27 pm

20 lbs dang are you sure it wasn't a turkey :lol3:
comnndduckhunter
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:45 pm

Maybe a hybrid :lol3:
duckman27
hunter

Postby duck/goose hunter » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:57 pm

i hunt in Illinois and where we hunt we are usually shooting at 10 to 30 yds so they are right in you face i shoot 3 inch blackcloud 2's but if they start to not come in and fly high ill shoot 3in blackcloud bb's
duck/goose hunter
hunter

Postby quack man » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:26 pm

I can't believe people are bragging about taking 70+ shots. Learn to hunt them the right way. I shoot 3"3s or 2 3/4 2's. I don't think I have taken more than 3 or 4 shots farther than 30 yards in the past 2 seasons. I shot my limit opening day of duck with 2 3/4 4s. I wouldn't take far shots with it. A goose isn't that important to me. I kill enough geese that if they don't get inside 30 yards they won for the day. I hunt public a lot, so I don't need to hear that bull of prime land. Early season I hunted public marsh, did the work landed every bird and even swated a few honkers on the water. Land'em and shoot em with 6s if you can.
quack man
hunter

Postby bowers818@hotmail.com » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:43 am

yah so a goose at 70 yards shouldnt be a problem unless you are trying to do so with shells that should be used on teals like # 4 get your self some 3.5'' bbb :yes:
bowers818@hotmail.com
Newb

Postby A-Bomb » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:59 am

Pattern density is a whole lot more important than shot size if you ask me. Doesnt matter what shot size you shoot, if your only putting a few pellets on target, big or not, your odds of a clean kill go down exponentially...Thats why you need to pattern a gun and find out what choke/shell/shot combo you should be shooting. IME ive found that smaller shots pattern better and are extremely good killers on even large birds like geese. My gun patterns well with Winchester #3 Steel, so thats what i shoot. No problem killing giant canadas with them and have killed them many times with #4 steel....And if you need to shoot at geese at 70 yds you seriously need to re-evaluate what your doing. Its way more fun when they got their feet down and crash on or around your layout!!! :yes:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby Suncutter » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:36 am

I use #2 shot in 3in or 3 1/2 in and have no problem killing them dead. If you are body shooting you need to back up and go shoot some skeet to learn proper lead :hammer:
870 wrote::welcome: to the site NYducks55
Around here you'd get a warmer answer by asking to have sex with our daughters. :
Suncutter
hunter

Postby DRYLOK » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:59 pm

For all these years I was stubborn about 1 gun, 1 load at everything instead of this switching back and forth. This year thoug, I'm going to shoot up what I have left and go to 4s on ducks and BBs on geese. Don't know what brand but prolly just regular steel.
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
-Thomas Jefferson-
DRYLOK
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Mon Oct 11, 2010 2:57 pm

I shoot BBB Blackcloud and I run a full choke,and shoot 3.5's and have never had a problem since I switched to blackcloud!

Here is a pic from one day during our early season for goose and my young pup's first hunt for geese,she is only 10 months old! But these geese were all shot with Blackcloud BBB 3.5's!

2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby quack man » Tue Oct 12, 2010 2:22 pm

3" 3's Don't do the job, I think I should get some of Ts and start shooting at 150+ decoying them is no fun anyway.
Attachments
DSCF2224.jpg
quack man
hunter

Postby Theircommited10 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:00 pm

I like BB for geese . :thumbsup: -Gary
Theircommited10
DHC Sponsor

Postby Sask hunter » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:24 pm

I shot a goose at 20 yrds on monday and the pellet drug in some mud so you could follow the wound channel. A crossing shot at 20 yrds the bb hit the upper part of the breast bone and bounced back. That tells you how tough some parts of the goose breast bone is. The load was 1550 winchester HV in BB.
Sask hunter
hunter

Postby duck_slayer_1 » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:14 pm

I prefer Kent Faststeel BB with a kicks chock tube. And allways shoot them in the beak. Beeeeeeyaaaaaaa
duck_slayer_1
hunter

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:17 pm

Ive killed most all of my waterfowl, ducks and geese, with #4 & 2's. I keep all my shots within 40-45 yards. I pride myself on getting the spread right, calling right, and getting the birds in close, just as much as the actual taking of the birds. Guess some dont. Shotguns are not rifles, and i am sorry to see that marketing has convinced some that their guns are consistently reliable at 70+ yds. There is a bigger issue here that i see that everyone has over looked, and that is that people take more pride in the over advertised crap they buy, hey look what this thing can do i saw this on tv, and less emphasis on actual skill. If all i had to do was get within 70 yds of a goose to kill it then i would think anyone could do it. Whats the challenge of that, and not to mention how irresposible it is. At that range, shooting at a flock of geese, how many birds do you think get hit by stray pellets that might not be enough to bring them down but kills them a day or two later? You guys that brag about distance shooting. I challenge you all to start making posts about how close you called them in. That takes ability and skill. Anyone can blindly shoot at a flock at 70 yds and hope one falls.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby quackerattacker » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:03 am

This thread will never die. :lol3:

All I know for fact, is that the average fella that considers himself a waterfowler can't shoot his foot off with three shots, nonetheless a bird at any range. I don't care if you find a bird standin' in the dekes at 15 steps or passin' at 40 more satisfying, if you can't shoot it's unethical to do so at any range. You'd be better off challenging anyone who'd call himself a hunter to learn to shoot before he takes to the field, HGWT.

I do agree, extended chokes and BC's have turned too many into cold blooded killers...just read the posts. It must be true! :thumbsup:
uhmmmm...ya sure that's a duck...i dunt see no green head
quackerattacker
hunter

Postby duck/goose hunter » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:27 pm

in the early season i typically shoot 3in 3s at geese and later in the season when i am just hunting geese ill shot 3in 2s and i have never had any problem with either
duck/goose hunter
hunter

Postby kenner » Sun Nov 14, 2010 4:44 pm

I've read that a number of people like #1's and others liking BB's. (And yes, many like #2's, but that's a little smaller than I'm comfortable with).

I have a bag of steel B's and BB's for reloading:

1-1/4 oz BB's = 87 pellets and I can move them @ 1510 fps
1-3/16 oz BB's = 83 pellets and I can move those @ 1575 fps
1 oz of B's = 87 pellets @ 1750-1775 fps
1-1/16 oz B's = 92 pellets @ 1700-1730 fps
1-1/8 oz B's = 97 pellets @1590-1595 fps

The 1-1/16 oz load of B's, not only gives me a higher pellet count than the BB's, but @ 150~250 fps faster than the heavier payload of BB's.

Given these figures, what are your opinions on this size B load for geese?

Edit: Just did some math....

1-1/4oz=547 grains / 87 BB's = 6.29 gr/pellet x 1510 fps MV= 9498 gr*fps

1-1/16 = 465 grains / 92 B's = 5.05 gr/pellet x 1700 fps MV= 8585 gr*fps

Another Edit: One would have to figure X number of BB's striking with their force, compared to an extra B, or two, striking with their force.
kenner
hunter

Postby bowers818@hotmail.com » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:06 am

b's are the same size as 1's and you cant beat a number 1 ,my dad and i was out a few days ago hunting over open water limted out used 3.5'' bbb black cloud and 3.5''fast steel ones( 1 1/4oz/ 1625fps) you will be happy with b's or 1's on geese :yes:
bowers818@hotmail.com
Newb

Postby CluckinCrazy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 7:48 am

quackerattacker wrote:This thread will never die. :lol3:

All I know for fact, is that the average fella that considers himself a waterfowler can't shoot his foot off with three shots, nonetheless a bird at any range. I don't care if you find a bird standin' in the dekes at 15 steps or passin' at 40 more satisfying, if you can't shoot it's unethical to do so at any range. You'd be better off challenging anyone who'd call himself a hunter to learn to shoot before he takes to the field, HGWT.

I do agree, extended chokes and BC's have turned too many into cold blooded killers...just read the posts. It must be true! :thumbsup:

:lol: :beer:
WANTED TO BUY
RNT (blackout daisy cutter)
RNT ( Bois D'arc short barrel)
Tim Grouinds Real Thang (gold nugget or butterscotch)
Zink PH-2 or PH-1 (carmel swirl) (copper)
Zink Beanies
LEFT HANDED Athens Archery BUCK COMMANDER Bow
CluckinCrazy
hunter

Postby Wolf777 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:56 am

First off I'll start my response with stating that I am a full time college student and work full time which leaves little time and money for hunting. I use whatever shot I can afford, but gear that shot towards the birds I am hunting. I use everything from 3" BBBs F and T shot on geese to #3 black cloud. I keep all my shots under 40 yards and usually always have a BBB or T shot in there for my third shot just in case I need to finish a cripple. #3 black cloud has by far been the best load I have ever used through my Rem 870 with a modified choke. A nice dense pattern out to 45 yards and those wadcutter pellets don't get caught up in the heavy down like trad steel does. That shot cuts right through. Like a lot of guys I'd rather go home skunked than skybust at 70 yards. I spend the precious little time I have scouting and observing birds so that I know how to set my spread. I hunt with a dozen fbs and 2 dozen shells and a dozen cheap silouettes. I don't always limit out and I am fine with that, but I do always get birds to commit and drop in to land. Even if that takes 5 passes and passing on birds at 40 yards at a bad angle that could quickly turn into 60 yards.
Wolf777
hunter

Postby skybusterbob » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:33 pm

FeatherFanatic wrote:it would probally cause more cripples then anything. ill shoot #2 3 1/2" black could in a pinch but 3" shells id go to BB

Why BB in 3'' vs 2 in 3.5''? Do you think a pellet fired at 1500 fps knows what length of shell it came out of?

Lot's of skybusting is being promoted in this thread. I personally like 1's for first shot backed up by BB's for straight geese.
skybusterbob
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum