Shot size

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Re: Shot size

Postby skybusterbob » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:43 pm

comnndduckhunter wrote:20 lbs dang are you sure it wasn't a turkey :lol3:

Paul the inventor of drop zone decoys put the geese rumor of over 16 lbs to rest. He did a contest that he would give someone a dozen free decoys if they could produce a goose over 16 lbs let alone 18 or 20. It took two years and hundreds of hunters to get one that barely was 16. 20 lbs lol ha ha ha.
skybusterbob
hunter

Postby Rhogg » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:57 pm

i like SSG for decoying geese. i will bump up to the 00 buck for longer shots.

7 woodies
1 Mallard
2 goldeneyes
2 old sqaw
1 Lawn dart
2 ruffies
Rhogg
hunter

Postby wingshooter37 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:39 pm

Last month I went goose hunting for geese that were flying over from a pond across a creek. I would shoot and see the pellets hit the feathers on the goose but they wouldn't go down. While I was sitting there wondering why the goose were not falling :huh: I look down the treeline and see my dad sitting there laughing at me :lol3: it was then that I realised I had grabbed #2 and not BB
-wingshooter37
wingshooter37
Newb

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Mon Dec 02, 2013 8:29 pm

Dammit people learn how to decoy geese. Anybody that says you need bb to kill geese is wrong. I don't shoot many big geese in a year (45) or so but all of those are killed with 3s or 4s, because that's what I'm hunting cacklers with. I don't see any more cripples than I do with cacklers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby KillerKowalski » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:48 pm

wetgoldenretriever wrote:Dammit people learn how to decoy geese. Anybody that says you need bb to kill geese is wrong. I don't shoot many big geese in a year (45) or so but all of those are killed with 3s or 4s, because that's what I'm hunting cacklers with. I don't see any more cripples than I do with cacklers

Shot size can be dependent on where you hunt. Birds are fatter in different locations.
KillerKowalski
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:54 am

We get a lot of big geese here in Kansas and a ton of snows, white fronts and snows. I use one size for all. Trible B, I would rather be oversize than undersize.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby BBK » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:00 pm

wetgoldenretriever wrote:Dammit people learn how to decoy geese. Anybody that says you need bb to kill geese is wrong. I don't shoot many big geese in a year (45) or so but all of those are killed with 3s or 4s, because that's what I'm hunting cacklers with. I don't see any more cripples than I do with cacklers

I'll take you out here and you can get a goose right in your face for a 30 yard shot. If you don't hit them in the neck, you aren't killing them with the 3's or 4's. Our geese have a layer of fat 1/8" thick and a head the size of a baseball.

I've shot a few geese with 3's, they all came down with a busted wing and had to be chased and dispatched. Most of them had marks on the head and neck where the shot cut the skin down to bone but did not penetrate.

What is a "big goose" to you? a 8-10lb goose? Ours average right on 13lbs. They stay here year-round. They eat, eat, eat, and eat. The feet on the darn things are about as big as a guy's hand!
BBK
hunter

Postby clymerfowler » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:15 pm

man we must have weak geese here in ny. this one man early season limit was shot with expert 1s and a couple black cloud 3s.
my group shoots anything between 2s and BB in winchester experts. All 3 inch shells. All 3 1/2 shells do for you that 3 inch dont is hit your shoulder harder.

Pigeons-231
woodchucks-54
clymerfowler
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:08 pm

clymerfowler wrote:man we must have weak geese here in ny. this one man early season limit was shot with expert 1s and a couple black cloud 3s.
my group shoots anything between 2s and BB in winchester experts. All 3 inch shells. All 3 1/2 shells do for you that 3 inch dont is hit your shoulder harder.

You said the magic words, EARLY SEASON

Those geese if fully downed wouldn't be as easy to kill with the shells you've mentioned. HOWEVER if they were inside 20 yards that size shotwould kill them dead with head shots. JMHO BBs would be my minimum size
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Postby Krazy Yankee » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:24 pm

To answer your question....yes, I shot a few limits of geese this year with 2's (3" Hevi-metals) and I love them. I wouldn't go any smaller if you have just geese in mind. I've folded honkers with 3" 3's, but I would recomend something a bit larger. I love 3" BB's for honkers, they fold geese from Sept. to January
Krazy Yankee
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:46 pm

KillerKowalski wrote:

Shot size can be dependent on where you hunt. Birds are fatter in different locations.

They are still fat local honkers. Big birds. I killed several over 12#s

dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby Mike657 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:31 pm

Nitro Steel T, but you might prefer a denser pattern.
Good Luck in the field-Mike.
Mike657
hunter

Postby southpaw92 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:01 pm

i went out a while back with a guy... they came in on a pond he hunts.... we get our limit and were picking up shells and he starts laughing because he was using kent teal shot.... i was a little upset because if you hunt geese with me i like atleast 2s but my favorite goose load is kent 3 .5 bb
Canada Geese 17
Mallards 8
GW Teal 12
Gadwalls 2
Pheasants 7
southpaw92
hunter

Postby rebelcj7 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 6:59 am

I shoot 3" Hevi Metal BB's and works good for me.
rebelcj7
hunter

Previous

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum