How do I get Cacklers to my spread??

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

How do I get Cacklers to my spread??

Postby newbiewaterfowler » Sun Oct 30, 2005 10:02 am

A couple of friends and myself went hunting yesterday and between flagging and calling we could get the cacklers to turn and look,and a couple of times we thought they were going to comit but turned away and kept going.The basins and some specks had no problem comeing in to our spread.As far as calling we tried several ways,called until they got close,called all the way until they were over the spread,and usen A cackler call.Our spread was two groups,with a landing zone in the middle,usen Hardcores and GHG,and we had about 54 dekes all together. and all three of us were in Finishers that were concealed pretty good
newbiewaterfowler
hunter

Postby Deadeye_youth » Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:17 pm

Something must of not been right but usually just your normal spread will bring em in.
Deadeye_youth
hunter

Postby cletus » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:53 pm

You said something about calling when they are right over the spread. I have heard lots and practise my self that when the birds are commited to the spread, stop calling and the let decs do the rest. Is it big flocks coming in or just a couple of straglers here and there. Its later in the year and the flocks are bigger, means more eyes to notice more wrong, not to mention they have probably taken a pounding many times before. Same with us last weekend, big flocks and hard to get in.
cletus
hunter

Postby Ganderlander » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:50 am

You did not mention your decoy placement but Cacklers seem to stay tighter or closer when feeding so you may try putting your decoys closer together maybe like 2-3' apart and see what that does. It also could be that they saw something that they did not like and were alittle spooky.
Ganderlander
Newb

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum