Duck Hunting Forum banner

24 pound goose? what???

78K views 338 replies 111 participants last post by  Elvis Kiwi 
#1 ·
Ok guys i was watching that RNT waterfowlin show and they were talking about all the different species of geese we have and the only one i had never heard of was a maximus. They said this thing can get to 24 pounds. I personally have never shot a 24 pound goose but im wondering where i have to go to make that happen. I goose hunt typically in Illinois, are those monster geese out there and i just havent gotten one yet? thanks

Luke

#2 ·
No there are not any geese left of that size. Rumor is they used to have them that got this big though. A guy from dropzone dekes ran a contest for a 16 pound goose and nobody shoot one one for three years, finally somebody shoot a #14.

#4 ·
ok waterfowler edge it is. guess i get my hunting shows confused. ANYWAYS. . .i want a 24 pound goose ha

#5 ·
lukea.becker said:
ok waterfowler edge it is. guess i get my hunting shows confused. ANYWAYS. . .i want a 24 pound goose ha
im just givin yea crap. i DVR'd both them shows. i loved the episode of Waterfowlers edge today. i didnt like the RNT-V one that good. i wander how big a 24 pound goose would be.

#6 ·
yup i dvr'd them as well, arent we cool haha. a 24 pound goose would be something like a turkey i suppose. that would be a lot of bird to see falling out of the sky and i bet it would hit with quite a thud as well.

#8 ·
leave it to the cheese-head to rain on my parade hahahah.

#10 ·
HAHAHA im glad im not the only one who does that. the dogs go nuts too. A couple years ago when i bought my first layout blind i was pretty excited about it, so me and my buddy set it up in my living room and played old school nintendo Duck Hunt while laying in the blind and drinking jim beam. was a fun night haha

#11 ·
lukea.becker said:
HAHAHA im glad im not the only one who does that. the dogs go nuts too. A couple years ago when i bought my first layout blind i was pretty excited about it, so me and my buddy set it up in my living room and played old school nintendo Duck Hunt while laying in the blind and drinking jim beam. was a fun night haha
lol. sounds fun. i havent gotten that extreme to lay in the living room in my layout blind, but i might.

#12 ·
Tealer said:
No there are not any geese left of that size. Rumor is they used to have them that got this big though. A guy from dropzone dekes ran a contest for a 16 pound goose and nobody shoot one one for three years, finally somebody shoot a #14.
just my two cents but talking to old hunters from my area and reading nebraskaland magazine all of the old hunters say that our geese now a days are alot bigger than "their" geese were just what ive heard and read.

#14 ·
you're probably a packer fan too huh lol

#16 ·
shot a 17 lb canada a couple years ago...weighed on an old fish scale and on the electric one , measured to difference be tween are weight

it was a monster, no doubt

had bin feeding on corn all year

never officially weighed or ****
the one o my left was prob a 9-12 pounder, my right, the big one, my pocket.... it was a squirrel who got to close

just lettin ya kno

#17 ·
nice man, them are some nice honkers there

#19 ·
^ nope

abot 160-170 in that pic, tho you couldnt tell

but that goose is a monster

trust me, as hard as it is.

if you look at the smaller bird and realize its still a greater canada goose, with a small bird being 8-12 pounds at the end of season after feeding on corn for 6 months, ya wouldnt disagree

#21 ·
klist said:
shot a 17 lb canada a couple years ago...weighed on an old fish scale and on the electric one , measured to difference be tween are weight

it was a monster, no doubt

had bin feeding on corn all year

never officially weighed or crap
the one o my left was prob a 9-12 pounder, my right, the big one, my pocket.... it was a squirrel who got to close

just lettin ya kno
has anyone ever told you that you have nice honkers? lol.

i cant wait till goose season here in southern IL baby! :grooving: :grooving: :grooving: :grooving: :grooving:

#25 ·
last season out in KC, Missouri my brother and I both shot very large geese. My biggest at about 19lbs and his at 21lbs....it was late season so they had been feeding on corn all year too :biggrin: . A 24lbs goose wouldnt surprise me to bad.

#26 ·
WisconsinWaterfowler said:
The heaviest flying bird is the tundra swan at 27 lbs. 24 lb canada geese do not exist.
i bage to differ we have 2 geese on the wall that both went over 20 lbs and 1 that went over 24 lbs all three were banded out of minn. in 1994 shot in 1997 and 1999 so i know for a fact that there are geese in the 20 lbs range and 24 maybe uncommon but they do exist

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.