24 pound goose? what???

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Re: 24 pound goose? what???

Postby Suncutter » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:19 pm

Look I dont doubt anyone when they say they shot a big goose but I do taxidermy for a living and people have a lets say issue with judgeing weight ,length and score. Its funny when they tell you they have a 22in bass that weighs 12lbs in the freezer and when they bring it to ya it is 15in and weighs 3lbs. Then ask if you can make it that size cause the freezer must of shrunk it.
870 wrote::welcome: to the site NYducks55
Around here you'd get a warmer answer by asking to have sex with our daughters. :
Suncutter
hunter

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:30 pm

you know i don't usually post on stuff like this because you never know if people are stretching the truth or not. i personally have shot and weighed a 15 lb canada that was banded the bird was shot about 2 years ago. the paperwork said it was banded in nr cumberland house, saskatchewan. the paperwork said it was hatched in 1999 or earlier. i have also witnessed and personally weighed a 18 lb canda. it was shot on a hunting trip in kansas. so yes, big geese are around. however, i haven't seen any others of those sizes in all my years waterfowling. canada goose sizes range greatly in the region of the US and canada you are located so i could see where someone that isn't in a region that gets larger canada's would think we are crazy. i don't expect anyone to believe it, but thats just what i have witnessed.
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:39 am

klist wrote:
klist wrote:Image

there we go. maybe someday ill get another one, but that sucker was just huge!!! feeding on corn and flying less than 2 miles to roost in CA makes for a big dam goose. the smaller one is the normal size we get, where the other one came from i dont know.

and im not a small guy- bout 5 '9, 160-170, and my hands aint small

k list

Just for the record I am 6'4" 320, so 5'9" 160 is small to me. I have doubts that is close to 17.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Didgeridoo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:45 am

Last year I shot a 14lb honker and it's in my freezer for mounting. Was the biggest of the year for us in Manitoba. Usually we'll get atleast an 11-12lb goose per shoot and that's a big bird.
Didgeridoo
hunter

Postby klist » Wed Sep 22, 2010 9:08 pm

Tealer wrote:

Just for the record I am 6'4" 320, so 5'9" 160 is small to me. I have doubts that is close to 17.

if i could send it to ya i would

everyone has a fish story, but that goose is a monster. on two scales, a fish scale, and a electronic scale to weigh your self, if came up over 17 lbs. i stood on a scale without the goose, and measured the weight. i then held to goose and got back on. the difference was 17 lbs.

and 6'4 320 is a big guy :hi: remind me to to scare you in the field ha ha

the goose in my right hand was the normal size of the geese we shoot, from 8-12 lbs. in size comparison alone, you can see the the other goose is big. look at the head. look at the body mass, and the feet. i cant change youre doubts, but i can say that it was big

k list
klist
hunter

Postby A-Bomb » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:26 pm

Heres a 25# bird!!!

Sorry, i couldnt help myself. :lol:
MDHA Saginaw Bay Chapter
http://www.midha.org/
A-Bomb
hunter

Postby drake14 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:15 pm

Maybe it was a turkey.
drake14
hunter

Postby tench » Fri Oct 15, 2010 2:30 pm

I got a 17 and a 16 in the same day in Northern VT, about 5 minutes from the border...
tench
hunter

Postby texan68 » Fri Oct 15, 2010 5:57 pm

ILgoosehunter12 wrote:
lukea.becker wrote:ok waterfowler edge it is. guess i get my hunting shows confused. ANYWAYS. . .i want a 24 pound goose ha

im just givin yea crap. i DVR'd both them shows. i loved the episode of Waterfowlers edge today. i didnt like the RNT-V one that good. i wander how big a 24 pound goose would be.

errrrrr 24 pounds. :biggrin:
Leave it better than you found it. Pick up your empties.
texan68
hunter

Postby alanwebfoot » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:20 pm

personally mounted a 14 1/2 pounder with a 5'2'' wingspan what a monster ,and this according to the pictures I,v'e seen is NOT considered a giant race of the canada geese it didn't have the offwhite forehead mark,some waterfowlers from California claim to take 20 pounders every season!!!
alanwebfoot
hunter

Postby mendotakiller » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:20 pm

yea i know this post was from like a year ago but my dad has told me a story that i just had to research to see if he was serious...back in the 70's him and a buddy were laying in a field in le grand california. Near merced...and was shocked to hear the low sounding grunt of what his buddy called the "giagantis geese" he claims the honk was 2 times as deep as the regular honkers they were shooting (and im not talking about the small ass lessers) i mean the good size 10 pound honkers he was comparing this to. the story goes that they were laying there and a couple hundred yards off about 40 yards high 6-8 of the giagantis were flying. my dad described them as prehistoric creatures trying to fly lol he claims the wing span was AT LEAST 7 feet. But he says probably a bit bigger. He layed there in the mud and tryed to muffle his call in his jacket to try to get that low sounding grunt like these big boys. Didnt happen...they just kept crusing but what a memory that would be!! he also says they had to weight every bit of 25 pounds. He does have one goose mounted that weighed in at 13 1/2 pounds...
mendotakiller
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:41 am

And the legend of 20 lb plus canadas keeps growing.... :fingerhead:
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby Guzman » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:30 am

Area 51 geese....

Like someone had posted earlier Paul offered a dozen drop zones, which are worth $1000 to someone who sent him a 16 pound goose. He had to drop down to 14 pounds.... and it took a long time for someone to get him a 14 pounder.
Guzman
hunter

Postby cowboyrustad2728 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:16 am

Rochester Giant goose??
cowboyrustad2728
hunter

Postby MossyMallard12 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:29 am

The goose is sooo Photoshopped!!!!
Chillin', Killin', Grillin'!
MossyMallard12
hunter

Postby Cliner » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:29 am

We kill some pretty big geese and I'd say our biggest ones are probably 14-15lbs and they don't come around often...
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:06 pm

bamaduckhunter wrote:last season out in KC, Missouri my brother and I both shot very large geese. My biggest at about 19lbs and his at 21lbs....it was late season so they had been feeding on corn all year too :biggrin: . A 24lbs goose wouldnt surprise me to bad.

Pics? These claims are always total bs.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

24 pound goose? what???

Postby War Wagon » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:43 pm

Really ????
Last edited by War Wagon on Fri Dec 06, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
War Wagon
hunter

Postby wvugunner92 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:45 pm

I killed a 25 pound goose and a 350 Inch whitetail on the same morning. I took plenty of pictures but I lost em.
Lock em nd Drop em
wvugunner92
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:21 pm

If you take a duck and stuff it inside a chicken and then stuff the duck-chicken combo into a 18 pound goose it will then weigh well over 24 pounds...be quite tasty, and make your mouth go yummy. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby joshex1 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:26 pm

lukea.becker wrote:Ok guys i was watching that RNT waterfowlin show and they were talking about all the different species of geese we have and the only one i had never heard of was a maximus. They said this thing can get to 24 pounds. I personally have never shot a 24 pound goose but im wondering where i have to go to make that happen. I goose hunt typically in Illinois, are those monster geese out there and i just havent gotten one yet? thanks

Luke

ok I just had to post this: I know of several spots where the geese get this big, but it's illegal to hunt there.

the first and most prominent place to find 24# geese and up is a open top swan sanctuary, you know the kind that puts out food for the swans all year round, it's usually corn or ground corn, the canada geese love this place because they geta free meal and don;t have to be affraid of people. heck people even come with bread to feed them by hand.

these birds are easily 24+ pounds they are lazy, they don;t do much flying, heck if you chase them they just go into the water and swim away slowly.

if you absolutely want to shoot a canada goose there, you might consider talking to the park security and setting up an appointment, cause these parks are trying to get rid of the canada geese, they tell people not to feed them, but the geese stay for the corn feed and safety awyways.

And the second place to find a 24#+ goose? drive around your local malls, you know the ones with those ponds outside that always have canada geese camped out there, those geese are also pampered they feel safe there so they stay all year round theres no predators in the city, and they rarely get chased by kids, and it's illegal to hunt there and they get free food from the ponds and grass. most of those are 23# and up you can tell just by looking at them. they are big honkers for sure.

if you want to hunt there, you will need to take a risk of getting caught, thats right the mall doesn't give a flying honk about the gesse camping out there cause they have more than ample parking. so the mall will not barter hunting time for you, and even if they did the police could be driving by and see your crazy ass in the back of a pick-up with your rifle and hunting gear.

aka unless you are a police officer theres no way you can legally use a gun in these areas. and beware there are many many cameras on a mall and it's parkinglot. you had better scope out where they all are during the day or something.

if you still want to do it I suggest going at night, park your pickup there and wait a while, take a nap or something, then get out with your gun and lay under the truck, put a silencer on your rifle and for gods sake watch your shot!! remember even if you don;t visibly hurt anything, if a few days later a streetlight goes out cause you shot the pole and the bullet damaged or crossed the wiring, the electrician is gonna find that bullet and the shaerif's dept. is gonna find out whose gun it came from.

so if you're firing, fire into the water or ground for best results, or make sure the bullet stays in the goose and you're all good.

again I do not condone these actions cause they are against the law.

but thats where the big geese are.

I suppose the best and most legal method is this: create your own pond on your own private hunting property, put up fake geese permanently, lay out a cornfeeder station and let the birds have at it for a few years untouched, then It's Huntin Time
joshex1
Newb

Postby REM1100 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:40 am

I shot this biggy in 1998, weighed it at the Beaver lumber yard at 14 lb 11 oz . It took three shots to stop him as he was sliding by the edge of the decoys. Since then I have not seen any biggies even at the cleaners.

on the X in Saskatchewan
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby tripleb » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:53 am

Back in the early '90's, before goose hunting became popular around here and the ODNR decided to thin out the numbers by a 5 goose a day early goose season, we had some really big geese in the area. A friend of mine shot a very, very large goose, which he said he weighed on a baby scale at 18 pounds 2 oz. I didn't see him weigh it, nor check the calibration and while he could have lied about the actual weight, I doubt it. It was the biggest goose I have ever seen, before or since.

However, the biggest goose I ever weighed, weighed on a Dr. office type balance scale, weight 12 1/4 pounds. Most of ours now run in the 10 to 12 pound range, as adults and average a bit smaller than what we used to shoot years ago.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:44 am

joshex1 wrote:And the second place to find a 24#+ goose? drive around your local malls, you know the ones with those ponds outside that always have canada geese camped out there, those geese are also pampered they feel safe there so they stay all year round theres no predators in the city, and they rarely get chased by kids, and it's illegal to hunt there and they get free food from the ponds and grass. most of those are 23# and up you can tell just by looking at them. they are big honkers for sure.

What makes those geese so special? I've shot tons of them. Watched them get up off of retention ponds in city limits and fly a half mile out to where I'm hunting, then I shoot them in the face. On a rare day my two birds will weigh a combined 24 pounds.

The difference between a 12 pound goose and 24 pound goose isn't lifestyle. They don't get that big being lazy. They don't get that big at all.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby joshex1 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:24 pm

not quite, lifestyle definitely has an effect.

the domestic goose on a farm after 1 season (1 year of entering adulthood) can weigh 16# they usually sell them at that size so they don't get any bigger, but it's the farm lifestyle that makes them get big. cornfeed and no worries.

same with people corn feed and no worries = fat ass

lifestyle definitely has something to do with size I don't care what animal you are. unless you have a fast metabolism.
joshex1
Newb

PreviousNext

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum