24 pound goose? what???

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Re: 24 pound goose? what???

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:33 pm

24 lb goose... yeah right , thats just as big as a Swan. I HIGHLY disagree that there ever was a 24 lb specimen of Canada geese. Thats huge, when i get a chance i will put up a pic of a mute swan i just killed. I believe it weighed 26 lbs my friend said. And for those that say there are... im almost certain that for those 3 years that the contest was running a goose 16 lbs or higher would have been entered if it were true. I just think ppl are misjudging weights. Ive seen people catch 15 lb carp that argued with me they were 35-40 lbs. We shot an 11 lber this yr and it was huge.
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter
 
Posts: 377
Joined: Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:34 pm
Location: S.E. PA


Re: 24 pound goose? what???

Postby Duplex lover » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:26 pm

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote:The heaviest flying bird is the tundra swan at 27 lbs. 24 lb Canada geese do not exist.

A trumpeter swan is much bigger than a tundra and a Mute is even bigger. 24# I don't know... :huh:
The last best place.
User avatar
Duplex lover
hunter
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Nov 14, 2011 7:25 pm
Location: Not quite the left coast almost Canada

Re: 24 pound goose? what???

Postby ThePro » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:53 am

Killed a 20 pounder in ohio a couple yers ago, but yes they do exist the true jumbos only fly in family groups and normaly seperate themselves from the big groups of geese. Ask any one who has hunted north dakota late season and i mean late season dec 1st and on they will tell you they exist and you might get lucky and find a guy or two that has one mounted.
ThePro
hunter
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 1:55 pm

Re: 24 pound goose? what???

Postby Blackfoot down » Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:16 pm

I hunt in Southwest Missouri...not exactly the goose capital of the world, but I manage a few... I shot these two on my way home from work by jumping a pond that I hunt sometimes. These are very typical geese for where I am at. I am 5'10" and weight 195. The goose I am holding weighed 13 pounds on my home scale. the goose my grandson is holding weighed 11 pounds on the scale. Notice the difference that just 2 pounds makes on a goose. I am not saying that there are not 16 pound geese, but that would be a huge damned goose. 18 would just be a monster. I have shot geese bigger that the one I am holding, but I don't think any of them would be 16 to 18 pounds!!! Obviously these are resident birds because there has been zero migration yet for geese that I have seen. I drive 40 miles to work every day one way and I usually take the back roads just to look for deer, ducks, geese, turkeys or whatever. When we get migrators, they are lessers and weight half of what the resident giant canadas weigh. Like I said, I do shoot birds bigger than this, but not enough to make me think they would weigh another 3 pounds...
Attachments
100_3982 (640x475).jpg
13 and 11 pounds
100_3981 (640x475).jpg
13 pound
100_3980 (640x475).jpg
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
User avatar
Blackfoot down
hunter
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:31 am
Location: Marshfield, MO

Re: 24 pound goose? what???

Postby tornadochaser » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:36 am

The 20 pounders that existed were mostly the breed stock from the captive breeding and relocating that was done to re introduce the resident greaters across the upper midwest in the 60's, 70's, and 80's. There are documented weights from those programs where birds attained 20 pounds. Now days you'll be extremely hard pressed to find one over 14 pounds. Even the missouri river secluded bay giant mutant steel shot immune geese that LP Brezny loves so much.

Tapatalkin on my Droid while I should be working.
tornadochaser
hunter
 
Posts: 764
Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:06 pm

Re: 24 pound goose? what???

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:03 pm

Just go to the parks I swear they could eat a kid there so big!
WIDrakeKiller
hunter
 
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: 24 pound goose? what???

Postby Cliner » Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:24 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:Just go to the parks I swear they could eat a kid there so big!


That's where I go for my bands and collars :hi:
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter
 
Posts: 969
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Western Missouri

Re: 24 pound goose? what???

Postby Blackfoot down » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:58 pm

So did Jeff Foiles...............
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
User avatar
Blackfoot down
hunter
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:31 am
Location: Marshfield, MO

Re: 24 pound goose? what???

Postby skybusterbob » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:58 pm

Lot's of guys have killed 18 plus pound geese until they are asked to provide proof. I shot a swan couple weeks ago at 20 lbs and I've never seen a goose that big. The contest pretty much proved they aren't around.
skybusterbob
hunter
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:36 pm
Location: KSLC

Re: 24 pound goose? what???

Postby War Wagon » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:00 pm

I'm 59 years old and all my years hunting Giant Canadian Geese in Wisconsin, we have shot 2 of them that were 16lbs. Got quite a few 13lbs. It's got to be the cheese..... :lol3:
User avatar
War Wagon
hunter
 
Posts: 964
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:23 pm
Location: Green Bay Wisconsin

Re: 24 pound goose? what???

Postby duckman27 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:19 pm

Here's a picture of a big one that I shot in Mississippi last year. The smaller of the two is a big greater that would have been around 12-13lbs. I didn't weigh the big bird but I gaurentee you that it would have been on up there in weight
Attachments
406440_313170082050137_100000714420453_1005388_1524665278_n.jpg
User avatar
duckman27
hunter
 
Posts: 2165
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:09 pm
Location: Firestone, CO

Re: 24 pound goose? what???

Postby War Wagon » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:44 pm

How big is this ?
Attachments
!cid_C16FB23A-0B36-4A27-8644-5E10BBB13EE0.jpg
User avatar
War Wagon
hunter
 
Posts: 964
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:23 pm
Location: Green Bay Wisconsin

Re: 24 pound goose? what???

Postby duckman27 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:43 pm

War Wagon wrote:How big is this ?


Wingspan is not where a birds weight comes from. The breast of the bird is what you need to see in order to determine a weight guesstimate. Wingspan doesn't = heavy bird.
User avatar
duckman27
hunter
 
Posts: 2165
Joined: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:09 pm
Location: Firestone, CO

Re: 24 pound goose? what???

Postby rebelp74 » Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:46 pm

Blackfoot down wrote:So did Jeff Foiles...............

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....


Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
User avatar
rebelp74
hunter
 
Posts: 2197
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:25 pm
Location: Elm Grove, LA

Re: 24 pound goose? what???

Postby skybusterbob » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:22 pm

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=171921&p=1612149#p1612149

This topic has been beat like a dead horse.
skybusterbob
hunter
 
Posts: 503
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:36 pm
Location: KSLC

Re: 24 pound goose? what???

Postby Cliner » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:54 pm

rebelp74 wrote:
Blackfoot down wrote:So did Jeff Foiles...............

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Therein lies the joke.
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter
 
Posts: 969
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:18 pm
Location: Western Missouri

Re: 24 pound goose? what???

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:01 pm

You guys shooting 20 pounders nowadays are full of it. This crap comes up at least once a year on the forums and the "stories" get more and more rediculous every year. Ever see a 30+ pound turkey like some of the ones you get from south-central MO? They are the size of a 55 gallon drum with feathers. A goose, which is built considerably LIGHTER than a turkey in order to enable LONG migration flights would look about 1/3 larger than that to weigh even near as much. Oh and btw, a bird that's making a long migration south from it's breeding grounds is going to be LIGHTER when it gets to where it's going, not heavier. This bird (an old resident bird from a large group of other resident birds) was HUGE...easilly 1/3 larger in body size than any of the birds we took that morning. The kid that's holding him shot it (his first ever goose too btw). He is 5' 11" tall and weighs about 175 pounds so he isn't a little kid. Care to guess how much that goose weighed???
Attachments
chris's monster honker.jpg
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter
 
Posts: 767
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 7:15 am

Re: 24 pound goose? what???

Postby Tealer » Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:30 am

Glad to see the responses this year are a little more realistic.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot
 
Posts: 5937
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:41 am
Location: Along the Columbia

Re: 24 pound goose? what???

Postby Guzman » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:01 am

We shoot a lot of 20 pound geese here. They are the Maximus Geese and migrate here from a small watering hole in north east Alberta. The name of the lake is Narnia. 40 Years ago a fronteirsman Bo Jackson planted a wild strain of wild oats up there. The soil being high is Potasium DiCarbonate caused the oats to grow like crazy producing naturaly big geese whcih we call the Maximus> If you would like to shoot one of these big geese book a trip with us and we will take you near the city of Yourfinghigh. And shoot one of the trophies. Our taxidermist Megatron will mount it up for you. Cost for one of these trips is $1000 prepaid with no gaurantee.
Guzman
hunter
 
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:32 pm
Location: Moses Lake, WA

Re: 24 pound goose? what???

Postby dsm16428 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:42 am

Guzman wrote:We shoot a lot of 20 pound geese here. They are the Maximus Geese and migrate here from a small watering hole in north east Alberta. The name of the lake is Narnia. 40 Years ago a fronteirsman Bo Jackson planted a wild strain of wild oats up there. The soil being high is Potasium DiCarbonate caused the oats to grow like crazy producing naturaly big geese whcih we call the Maximus> If you would like to shoot one of these big geese book a trip with us and we will take you near the city of Yourfinghigh. And shoot one of the trophies. Our taxidermist Megatron will mount it up for you. Cost for one of these trips is $1000 prepaid with no gaurantee.


:clapping: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter
 
Posts: 767
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 7:15 am

Re: 24 pound goose? what???

Postby brokermike » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:21 am

dsm16428 wrote:You guys shooting 20 pounders nowadays are full of it. This crap comes up at least once a year on the forums and the "stories" get more and more rediculous every year. Ever see a 30+ pound turkey like some of the ones you get from south-central MO? They are the size of a 55 gallon drum with feathers. A goose, which is built considerably LIGHTER than a turkey in order to enable LONG migration flights would look about 1/3 larger than that to weigh even near as much. Oh and btw, a bird that's making a long migration south from it's breeding grounds is going to be LIGHTER when it gets to where it's going, not heavier. This bird (an old resident bird from a large group of other resident birds) was HUGE...easilly 1/3 larger in body size than any of the birds we took that morning. The kid that's holding him shot it (his first ever goose too btw). He is 5' 11" tall and weighs about 175 pounds so he isn't a little kid. Care to guess how much that goose weighed???



Please tell me those are decoys in the background and that kid didn't just billy club someones pet goose
User avatar
brokermike
hunter
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:02 pm
Location: Southwestern Vermont

Re: 24 pound goose? what???

Postby dsm16428 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:28 am

brokermike wrote:
dsm16428 wrote:You guys shooting 20 pounders nowadays are full of it. This crap comes up at least once a year on the forums and the "stories" get more and more rediculous every year. Ever see a 30+ pound turkey like some of the ones you get from south-central MO? They are the size of a 55 gallon drum with feathers. A goose, which is built considerably LIGHTER than a turkey in order to enable LONG migration flights would look about 1/3 larger than that to weigh even near as much. Oh and btw, a bird that's making a long migration south from it's breeding grounds is going to be LIGHTER when it gets to where it's going, not heavier. This bird (an old resident bird from a large group of other resident birds) was HUGE...easilly 1/3 larger in body size than any of the birds we took that morning. The kid that's holding him shot it (his first ever goose too btw). He is 5' 11" tall and weighs about 175 pounds so he isn't a little kid. Care to guess how much that goose weighed???



Please tell me those are decoys in the background and that kid didn't just billy club someones pet goose


Seriously?! :no: Oh yeah. We just walked up and clubbed em like baby fur seals. :fingerhead: Of course they're decoys! Did you happen to read my signature line? :lol3:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter
 
Posts: 767
Joined: Mon May 28, 2012 7:15 am

24 pound goose? what???

Postby brokermike » Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:36 pm

Lmao. No tapatalk doesn't show sigs
User avatar
brokermike
hunter
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:02 pm
Location: Southwestern Vermont

Re: 24 pound goose? what???

Postby DMBgoosehunter13 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:21 am

dogknott wrote:Image

:lol3: :clapping: :beer: This is a great picture!
User avatar
DMBgoosehunter13
hunter
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:26 am
Location: Maryland

Re: 24 pound goose? what???

Postby ohioboy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:24 pm

dsm16428 wrote:You guys shooting 20 pounders nowadays are full of it. This crap comes up at least once a year on the forums and the "stories" get more and more rediculous every year. Ever see a 30+ pound turkey like some of the ones you get from south-central MO? They are the size of a 55 gallon drum with feathers. A goose, which is built considerably LIGHTER than a turkey in order to enable LONG migration flights would look about 1/3 larger than that to weigh even near as much. Oh and btw, a bird that's making a long migration south from it's breeding grounds is going to be LIGHTER when it gets to where it's going, not heavier. This bird (an old resident bird from a large group of other resident birds) was HUGE...easilly 1/3 larger in body size than any of the birds we took that morning. The kid that's holding him shot it (his first ever goose too btw). He is 5' 11" tall and weighs about 175 pounds so he isn't a little kid. Care to guess how much that goose weighed???



How much did it weigh?
User avatar
ohioboy
hunter
 
Posts: 2293
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: MoCo, MD

PreviousNext

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests