24 pound goose? what???

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Re: 24 pound goose? what???

Postby dsm16428 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:48 pm

Interesting yes. Correct...meh. A statement fo a 24 pound goose with absolutely zero proof to substantiate said claim is nothing more than that...a claim. I found no foot notes or reference material for the claim so unless somebody can actually provide PROOF, I'm still calling BS on this as well. Seen THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of dead geese on the ground and BIG geese too, and have never in my life have I seen one that would go over maybe 15 pounds, let alone 24.
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby brokermike » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:55 pm

Finally PROOF for the naysayers!

http://wikimapia.org/2003735/Maxie-Worl ... nada-Goose

seriously a 24 lb goose is mathemtacially impossible. It couldn't fly
brokermike
hunter

Postby satguy1963 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:35 pm

Here is a US fish and wildlife document showing a 22 lb bird killed before 1963 posting of said document.

http://www.fws.gov/news/historic/1963/19630401.pdf

So for those of you who have said that 15 or 16 lbs is impossible read this. :hi:
satguy1963
hunter

Postby satguy1963 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:04 pm

Here is another reference of 24 pound geese by the Indiana DNR. Do you folks really not know how to use google search.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/2999.htm
satguy1963
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:37 pm

satguy1963 wrote:Here is a US fish and wildlife document showing a 22 lb bird killed before 1963 posting of said document.

http://www.fws.gov/news/historic/1963/19630401.pdf

So for those of you who have said that 15 or 16 lbs is impossible read this. :hi:

Yup...30 years before the posting of that document! Seriously man, you show me a goose taken in the last 30 years that weighs over 16 pounds and provide PROOF, not some musty old news letter or a single line in a paragraph in one state's dnr page with again...NO REFERENCE MATERIAL TO SUBSTANTIATE THE INFORMATION, and I'll gladly eat my words. Until then...not a chance.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
dsm16428
hunter

Postby ohioboy » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:12 pm

IowaWaterfowler10 wrote:
ohioboy wrote:
IowaWaterfowler10 wrote:
Keep dreaming. We have killed big ass geese and thirteen is pretty generally accepted as the max. Fourteens occasionaly happen, but that is stretching it.

Going to wave the BS flag high and mighty. First goose I ever shot was 12lbs and yestarday shot one that was 13.8 and was one of the smallest birds in the flock. Not trying to start something and maybe we are shooting different types of geese, but 13 is definatley not the Max. I'd say 14-15.

So since you are familiar with this thread where is the pic? I would like to see one. If not i guess we are going to need another bs flag. :lol3:

I would but yet to figure out how to post photos I can email it if you wold like.

Iowa emailed this to me for me to post
Attachments
image.jpg
ohioboy
hunter

Postby joshex1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:29 pm

gentlemen and women,

listen, you can buy a 16# goose online, I know cause I was searching for christmas dinner this year online. even saw one site claimed to have 18# geese

there is one way to settle this once and for all.

grow a goose, 1 male 1 female , capture a young canada goose and raise it on cornfeed oats and other good eat'in keep weigh'in it see how big the honker can get. post the reslts here. picture of goose and goose on scale would be nice.
joshex1
Newb

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:09 am

23963_533955139949112_2041183422_n.jpg

This Mute was 24 lbs. Yup thats one HUGE freaking Canada. I don't buy it for one second!! If there was rlly a wild goose of that size there would be proof showing it. Its like bigfoot. LOL BTW I am 5' 11" and weight 165.
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:43 pm

Three Eastern Kansas Giant Canada`s. Two 14`s and a 13 pounder.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:44 pm

Ah yes...the thread that just won't die... :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
dsm16428
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:24 pm

Any body can post a picture of a goose and say it's x amount of weight. Unless you post a picture of a bird on a certified scale, and post the name of the owner of the scale, and show that the scale is zeroed and certified, your picture is worthless. The internet is full of legends of big geese. Do enough research, and you'll find out that certain breeding programs did have geese upwards of 20 pounds, in a controlled environment, captive, and fed grain year round. Those were birds that were transplanted across the upper midwest as part of the re-introduction of the "giant" canada goose based off the Rochester, MN flock.
Are there birds out there that could still reach 20 pounds? Possibly. The refuge decoy contest pretty much proved though how illusive even a 15 pounder is, not to mention countless "goosefests" all over where the've never registered a 15 lb bird on a certified scale. I have friends that do nothing but trap, study, and band resident geese all summer long and they have never weighed a bird over 14 pounds, even our park birds that sit in town all year. Weighing a goose on your berkley fishing scale is about as accurate as using a T ball bat for a yard stick.

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Cliner » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:39 pm

I shot, what looked like a monster goose a few weeks ago and it weighed in at 12.6 :beer:
Work hard, relax hard.
Cliner
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:16 pm

[quote="tornadochaser] Unless you post a picture of a bird on a certified scale, and post the name of the owner of the scale, and show that the scale is zeroed and certified, your picture is worthless. Sent from my DROID Pro[/quote]

Are you F*****g serious. Ray Charles could see that those are some big ass geese . This thread is one of the more popular ones and as one guy stated, it refuses to die . Goose hunters obviously are interested in talking about and seeing the myth ,legend and facts regarding big geese . I am fortunate to live near two former Giant Canada restoration program sites that successfully reintroduced the Giant Canada to Eastern Kansas many years back. We have a healthy and growing population of Giant Canada geese in the area . Taking big geese in the 13 and 14 pound range is not an every day occurrence but when a flight of those long neck big bodies slip into the kill zone there is a definite difference in the thump when they hit the ground .I can only wish Cabela`s would sponsor a yearly big goose contest similar to what they do for pheasant season. They could get participating manufacturers to offer some high end prizes ,decoys , shotguns ,layout blinds ,gear. It wouldn`t take long I assure you to find that one in that 14 to 15 lb. range .
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:11 am

Biggest Goose I ever shot weighed just a touch over 11 pounds. I thought I was gonna win the refuge contest decoys for sure, until I had it weighed. They look and feel much heavier than they really are.
I'm just saying....
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby tornadochaser » Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:49 am

John O`Neal wrote:[quote="tornadochaser] Unless you post a picture of a bird on a certified scale, and post the name of the owner of the scale, and show that the scale is zeroed and certified, your picture is worthless. Sent from my DROID Pro[/quote]

Are you F*****g serious. Ray Charles could see that those are some big ass geese . This thread is one of the more popular ones and as one guy stated, it refuses to die . Goose hunters obviously are interested in talking about and seeing the myth ,legend and facts regarding big geese . I am fortunate to live near two former Giant Canada restoration program sites that successfully reintroduced the Giant Canada to Eastern Kansas many years back. We have a healthy and growing population of Giant Canada geese in the area . Taking big geese in the 13 and 14 pound range is not an every day occurrence but when a flight of those long neck big bodies slip into the kill zone there is a definite difference in the thump when they hit the ground .I can only wish Cabela`s would sponsor a yearly big goose contest similar to what they do for pheasant season. They could get participating manufacturers to offer some high end prizes ,decoys , shotguns ,layout blinds ,gear. It wouldn`t take long I assure you to find that one in that 14 to 15 lb. range .[/quote]

Big difference between a 13 pounder and a 15 plus. Studies, contests, and anecdotal evidence have proven that. Look at any recent published usfws goose document and the bc maxima is listed at 9-12 pounds.

Sent from my DROID Pro
tornadochaser
hunter

Postby Justin300mag » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:33 pm

When I was a kid I had a neighbor who took me bird hunting for the first time. He showed me a picture of of him holding a goose. the beak was touching his chin and the bird almost touched the ground(within a couple inches) and he was 6 feet tall. The bird was shot in the late 70's. I wont even tell you what he guessed the bird weighed (because you would laugh) but it does make the idea of a 24 pound goose seem possible. I am going to start weighing some of the larger geese I shoot to satisfy some of my curiosity. Alot of the pictures I am seeing people post as "huge" geese seem fairly normal or average size to me. From what I have heard the geese around this area are larger than the geese people shoot in most parts of the country.
Justin300mag
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:56 pm

John O`Neal wrote:[quote="tornadochaser] Unless you post a picture of a bird on a certified scale, and post the name of the owner of the scale, and show that the scale is zeroed and certified, your picture is worthless. Sent from my DROID Pro[/quote]

Are you F*****g serious. Ray Charles could see that those are some big ass geese . This thread is one of the more popular ones and as one guy stated, it refuses to die . Goose hunters obviously are interested in talking about and seeing the myth ,legend and facts regarding big geese . I am fortunate to live near two former Giant Canada restoration program sites that successfully reintroduced the Giant Canada to Eastern Kansas many years back. We have a healthy and growing population of Giant Canada geese in the area . Taking big geese in the 13 and 14 pound range is not an every day occurrence but when a flight of those long neck big bodies slip into the kill zone there is a definite difference in the thump when they hit the ground .I can only wish Cabela`s would sponsor a yearly big goose contest similar to what they do for pheasant season. They could get participating manufacturers to offer some high end prizes ,decoys , shotguns ,layout blinds ,gear. It wouldn`t take long I assure you to find that one in that 14 to 15 lb. range .[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

I'm serious, and it would take a LOT longer than you think (and maybe never). Those birds aren't as big as you think they are, and it takes a WHOPPER of a goose to even get to 14. Those are huge geese in your pic, and the middle one *might* be in the 13# range, but you certainly don't have two 14s and a 13 there.

Get one of these, and you'll come crashing back to earth pretty quickly-

Here's a HUGE resident bird that did little else but skip 200 yards at a time from the roosting pond to the corn field in the background of the picture. He could barely get off the water. I'm on the left, 6'5" 240#. Guy on the right is almost as big. That's a full-sized new Tundra, and as anyone can see, the bird is in line with the tailgate and stretches past the width of the tailgate and almost matches the width of the truck's body. Legitimately, no holding it out or other tricks with depth to make it seem bigger than it was. And it had a body to match, with huge breast muscles and bulk throughout. The weight of this bird of the certified scale pictured above was 13.4-

Speaking of a "thump" when big birds hit the ground, here's a recent video of some giant Canadas going splat when they hit the ground. They all make easily audible splats when impacting the ground, and the fifth one crashing back to earth at around 2:40 is hilarious. They were big birds, and I didn't weigh them, but I've weighed hundreds of others and there was nothing special about these, so my guess is that they were all between 9 and 11 pounds just like 85% of the other late-season birds-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ngy5T0caoFo

Certified scale > people's hopes and dreams
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:53 pm

Tangier Island Slacker wrote:
John O`Neal wrote:[quote="tornado chaser] Unless you post a picture of a bird on a certified scale, and post the name of the owner of the scale, and show that the scale is zeroed and certified, your picture is worthless. Sent from my DROID Pro[/quote]

Are you F*****g serious. Ray Charles could see that those are some big ass geese . This thread is one of the more popular ones and as one guy stated, it refuses to die . Goose hunters obviously are interested in talking about and seeing the myth ,legend and facts regarding big geese . I am fortunate to live near two former Giant Canada restoration program sites that successfully reintroduced the Giant Canada to Eastern Kansas many years back. We have a healthy and growing population of Giant Canada geese in the area . Taking big geese in the 13 and 14 pound range is not an every day occurrence but when a flight of those long neck big bodies slip into the kill zone there is a definite difference in the thump when they hit the ground .I can only wish Cabela's would sponsor a yearly big goose contest similar to what they do for pheasant season. They could get participating manufacturers to offer some high end prizes ,decoys , shotguns ,layout blinds ,gear. It wouldn't take long I assure you to find that one in that 14 to 15 lb. range .[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

I'm serious, and it would take a LOT longer than you think (and maybe never). Those birds aren't as big as you think they are, and it takes a WHOPPER of a goose to even get to 14. Those are huge geese in your pic, and the middle one *might* be in the 13# range, but you certainly don't have two 14s and a 13 there.

Get one of these, and you'll come crashing back to earth pretty quickly-

I don`t see the need for the scale I`ll just post up the pic`s and let you tell us what they weigh or in this case what they don`t weigh .
There appears to be an absolute consistency in the posts regarding big geese . Those that have taken big geese are obvious believers and those that haven`t, consistently claim they don't`t exist . I hope you get the opportunity to harvest one in that 13/14 lb range someday since you obviously hunt in an area where Giant Canada`s exist. Giant Canada's have indeterminate growth ,meaning there are some big ones out there still growing . Get yourself one and become a believer. Nice goose you have there but certainly not a 12 pounder . :yes: Have a great day !
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby Tangier Island Slacker » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:23 am

John O`Neal wrote:I don`t see the need for the scale I`ll just post up the pic`s and let you tell us what they weigh or in this case what they don`t weigh .
There appears to be an absolute consistency in the posts regarding big geese .

The only consistency in these threads is that those claiming to regularly shoot geese over 13 (or more) pounds don't put them on a good scale. You're part of that group.
Tangier Island Slacker
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:30 pm

Tangier Island Slacker wrote:
John O`Neal wrote:I don`t see the need for the scale I`ll just post up the pic`s and let you tell us what they weigh or in this case what they don`t weigh .
There appears to be an absolute consistency in the posts regarding big geese .

The only consistency in these threads is that those claiming to regularly shoot geese over 13 (or more) pounds don't put them on a good scale. You're part of that group.

I concede you have me on the certified scale issue as a digital bathroom scale was all I had available. But as to the validity of the existence of a 14 lb goose, your opinion appears to be based solely on your own experience and the geese you have encountered. The goose you shot is a huge one at 13lb 2oz but what makes you so absolutely sure bigger geese don`t exist. The fact that you haven`t seen one ? I seriously doubt anyone shoots big boys that size on a consistent basis but as I said before Giant Canada's were reintroduced to our area over four decades ago. We have a lot of the big honkers in the area. I have seen several 13# s and a few 14# s taken but I none were weighed on a certified scale . I didn't intend this to become a pissing match, you either believe there are big ones out there, or you don`t . But professing everyone out there claiming to have shot a big goose is full of it, based on the fact that you haven`t seen one is a pretty close minded. I would much rather show you than argue with you about it . If you ever get to eastern Kansas I,ll take you where the big boys live . I carry a Pro Guide XL in the decoy trailer just for big guys your size . It`s all in fun . Have a great day .

More Eastern Kansas Big-uns.
JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:37 pm

John O`Neal wrote:I concede you have me on the certified scale issue

Thats all you needed to say.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby VincentCorrea » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:24 pm

This is from the Ducks unlimited web site.
Canada Goose

SIGN IN AAA

Latin: Branta canadensis
Average length: M 25-45 inches
Average weight: M 3-13 lbs., F 3-11 lbs.

Description: Both sexes of Canada geese have a black head and neck except for broad white cheek patches extending from the throat to the rear of the eye. The female of a breeding pair is often smaller. The breast, abdomen and flanks range in coloring from a light gray to a dark chocolate brown, either blending into the black neck or being separated from it by a white collar. The back and scapulars are darker brown, the rump is blackish and the tail is blackish-brown with a U-shaped white band on the rump. The bill, legs and feet are black. Most subspecies are uniformly large and pale and exhibit the characteristic "honking" call.

There are 7 recognized subspecies of Canada geese: Atlantic, Hudson Bay or Interior, Giant, Moffitt's or Great Basin, Lesser, Dusky and Vancouver. In general, the subspecies nesting farther north are smaller in size and darker in color to the west. The Giant Canada goose is the largest goose in the world, with some individuals weighing more than 20 pounds. They can also be long-lived, with a banded Giant Canada goose at 30 years and 4 months currently holding the longevity record for waterfowl. David Sibley has developed an informative webpage that can assist in subspecies identification for Canada geese. Also, the Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife has a helpful field guide (PDF) to identify Cackling and Canada geese.

Breeding: Canada geese nest across inland North America and in more southerly habitats than cackling geese. Canada geese exhibit very strong family and pair bonds, and tend to return to their natal homes to nest. Female Canada geese lay a range of 2-8 eggs with an incubation period of 25-28 days.

Migrating and Wintering: Canada geese are herbivorous, feeding on grasses, sedges, waste grain and berries. In coastal areas of North America, grain-producing agricultural lands adjacent to estuarine or saltwater marshes with bulrush and cordgrass provide ideal winter habitat. In the mid-continent United States, refuges with freshwater marshes and abundant food crops attract Canada geese.

See the table below for breeding and wintering distributions of Canada geese:

Subspecies

Breeding

Wintering

Atlantic

Newfoundland, Labrador and QC

New England to SC; largest concentrations in Delmarva Peninsula

Hudson Bay or Interior

Akimiski Island; eastern SK to northern ON; Hudson Bay lowlands; southern James Bay

Southern ON; MB, ND, SD, MN, MI, KS, TX, WI, IL, MO, MS, AL, GA and SC

Giant

Akimiski Island, SK to northern ON, Hudson Bay lowlands, southern James Bay, eastern MT and WY, CO

Southern ON, SK, MB, Dakotas through Great Lakes states and central and southeastern United States

Moffitt's or Great Basin

Akimiski Island; SK to northern ON; southern AB; Hudson Bay lowlands; southern James Bay; eastern WY; inter-mountain regions of UT, ID, NV, WY, and CO; MT

Southern ON; SK, MB, ND, SD, MN, MI, KS, NM, TX, WI, IL, MO, MS, AL, GA, and SC; central and southern CA; AZ, NV, UT, ID, and MT

Lesser

Baffin, Southampton, Victoria, Jenny Lind, and King William Islands; parts of the Hudson Bay coast and Queen Maud Gulf; northern AB

Southeast CO, OK, TX, northeastern Mexico

Dusky

Copper River Delta of southeastern AK

Willamette and Lower Columbia River Valleys of OR and WA

Vancouver

Southeast AK and BC coast

Southeast AK and BC coast; OR, WA

Population: In general, populations of Canada geese are currently more stable than in previous decades. Nearly extirpated in the early 1900s, Giant Canada goose populations have become problematic in some areas due to their elevated numbers. Mississippi Flyway Giant Canada goose population estimates have increased an average of 3 percent a year from 1998 to 2007, when it was estimated at 1.64 million birds, a 5-percent decrease from 2006. With resident Canada goose estimates now over 3 million nationwide, several states have established early Canada goose seasons that focus solely on reducing populations of resident Canada geese. In contrast, the Dusky Canada goose population remains at relatively low numbers, with 2007 breeding population counts estimated at 10,000 birds. Breeding population estimates in 2007 for Atlantic Canada geese were 1.38 million birds, while the Hudson Bay population was estimated to be 966,500 birds. The remaining subspecies combined accounted for more than 2.7 million additional geese in the 2007 flight.

From a harvest management perspective, Canada geese are usually included in season lengths and bag limits with other white-cheeked geese. Hunters should be sure to check specific state regulations for hunting restrictions.

Free DU Decal

Receive a free DU decal when you signup for our free monthly newsletter.

Waterfowl ID Resources
•Waterfowl ID - iPhone App
•Waterfowl ID - Android App
•Shortcuts to Waterfowl ID
We do get some big birds here in NJ. I would think 13 LBS is easily attainable. I actually shot a big resident bird in September that wasn't as big as the one in my avatar but fatter and heavy as hell. These birds that I shot that one from would feed at horse farm not far from the lake I shot it on. From the looks of the other birds in that flock they were mostly big fatties like it. What sucks is I had a picture of it but it got deleted when I had to create a new user account on my computer and transfer my files. I can tell you in all honesty it was a very heavy goose 13 LBS if not more.
The one in my avatar was shot in Maryland. It was the biggest old boy I have ever shot, again I don't know it's exact weight, but I would say at least 12 LBS, and it could have very well been more, I was so pumped I wouldn't even have noticed if it was.Image This is a picture of that bird with a Atlantic to the left and a Lesser immediately to it's left. It is the third bird in from the left.
"I killed a huge goose once".
VincentCorrea
hunter

Postby JON » Tue Apr 16, 2013 2:09 pm

John O`Neal wrote: I didn't intend this to become a pissing match, you either lie to yourself and all your buddies about the weight of a goose and the size of your pecker or you don`t .

FIFY :thumbsup:
JON
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Wed Apr 17, 2013 9:30 am

Go to Canton, Illinois and hunt Giant Canada Geese. (it's a sub-species)
The thing is, hunters don't weigh birds. Am pretty sure I've shot Giant geese that weighed at or around 20 pounds. Dragging two in a garbage bag seems like a ton.

Come to where I live after Christmas. The Giant ones will be in the area then. If you hunt 'regular' Canadas...you'll go HOLY CHIT!
Their honk is deeper and they're just plain huge compared to the greaters and lessers. Pretty much all we get around here are the Giants.

Haven't shot one in four years. been killing specks in Arkansas instead. I'll shoot and weigh one sometime.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Wed Apr 17, 2013 11:37 am

You don't shoot 20 pounders, I have hunted where you are from. Maybe a 13 here and there but no 20's...sorry to burst your bubble.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum