24 pound goose? what???

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Re: 24 pound goose? what???

Postby missouri redhead » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:02 pm

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote:The heaviest flying bird is the tundra swan at 27 lbs. 24 lb canada geese do not exist.

i bage to differ we have 2 geese on the wall that both went over 20 lbs and 1 that went over 24 lbs all three were banded out of minn. in 1994 shot in 1997 and 1999 so i know for a fact that there are geese in the 20 lbs range and 24 maybe uncommon but they do exist
09/10 totals
ducks-
woodducks:8
teal:4
gadwal:22
ringnecks:35
pintail:3
shovler:47
mallards:55
redheads:14
cans:4
hoodies:5
goldeneyes:19
coots:100+

geese-
canadians:30
specks:12
snows:14

bands:0 asusal
missouri redhead
hunter

Postby goosehunter64 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:09 pm

missouri redhead wrote:
WisconsinWaterfowler wrote:The heaviest flying bird is the tundra swan at 27 lbs. 24 lb canada geese do not exist.

i bage to differ we have 2 geese on the wall that both went over 20 lbs and 1 that went over 24 lbs all three were banded out of minn. in 1994 shot in 1997 and 1999 so i know for a fact that there are geese in the 20 lbs range and 24 maybe uncommon but they do exist

Who and on what kind of a scale were these weighted on???
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby missouri redhead » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:27 pm

goosehunter64 wrote:
missouri redhead wrote:

Who and on what kind of a scale were these weighted on???

We have a lake localy that the CA manages for honkers and every year he ask that if u shoot a very large or very small bird to bring it in and they weight it measure it and age it. he has dune this for years to find out what kinda geese move threw the area and how the migration changes over the years it is quite interesting some of the info. he has gotin over the years has been doin this project since i started hunting geese 11 years ago. so to answer your qestion the CA did the weight and on a certified scale just like the ones they used to use for turkeys when you checked them in. some ppl. might not beleive that there are geese that big but i trust my CA is being honest
missouri redhead
hunter

Postby quackerattacker » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:12 pm

missouri redhead wrote:We have a lake localy that the CA manages for honkers and every year he ask that if u shoot a very large or very small bird to bring it in and they weight it measure it and age it. he has dune this for years to find out what kinda geese move threw the area and how the migration changes over the years it is quite interesting some of the info. he has gotin over the years has been doin this project since i started hunting geese 11 years ago. so to answer your qestion the CA did the weight and on a certified scale just like the ones they used to use for turkeys when you checked them in. some ppl. might not beleive that there are geese that big but i trust my CA is being honest

Well for God's sake...show us a picture! Since not a single picture of a certified 20lb plus Canada goose exists anywhere, I'd love to see one!

C'mon fellas, you do realize your chances of killin' a buck that will qualify for Boone and Crockett entry are far greater than killin' a Canada over 15 lbs are don't ya? There's more proof of sasquatch! :yes:
uhmmmm...ya sure that's a duck...i dunt see no green head
quackerattacker
hunter

Postby Didgeridoo » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:23 pm

We shoot a lot of geese here in Manitoba and my biggest this year was a 13.5 lb. Getting it mounted because it was so big and had some wicked colouring. Same day out we got a 12 lb and an 11 lb. Only two of us hunting that day.

We commonly will shoot atleast one big goose per trip out. This would be about 11 lb+. The biggest we've ever encountered here was a 14 lb bull. We normally will try and pick out the biggest birds out of a flock. A bird that is 11 lb+ stands out in a flock. Anything bigger than that would be super obvious and stand out like a sore thumb. :tongue:
Didgeridoo
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Sun Dec 20, 2009 5:00 pm

missouri redhead wrote:

I am sorry but I just dont believe that they weighed that much. If they truly did though then I would believe that they had some kind of domestic genes in them giving them that size.

http://www.pungoacreshunt.com/images/11 ... 57-350.jpg

This is a picture of a tundra swan. They max out at around 20lbs. I would love to see a pic of this bird.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby Professor Chaos » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:26 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

yeah. sure you did. :wink:
Believe Everything You Read On The Internet
Professor Chaos
hunter

Postby Didgeridoo » Sun Dec 20, 2009 7:53 pm

I'll have to measure the wingspan on the 13.5 lb I shot. Have it frozen for mounting right now. Would be interested to hear the wingspan on the two "20 lb" geese Missouri Redhead.

Nick
Didgeridoo
hunter

Postby missouri redhead » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:53 am

I don't have any pics of them on the scale just pics of the mounts. when i get home I will take them and post them should be sometime in the next week ill be home for xmas. the biggest one my dad shot and mounted. he doesnot look as big as the swan. as for the wing span idk the exact measurements but streched out they are about as wide as a ford ranger as i remember. as i sed before we don't shoot alot of the giants here and haven't for awhile but we do get 1 or 2 know and then.

P.S. most of our big geese come in flocks of 5 to 8 no big flocks but big birds
09/10 totals
ducks-

geese-

missouri redhead
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Mon Dec 21, 2009 5:40 pm

If it wasnt as big as the swan then that makes me even more skeptical. Post a picture though with someone standing next to it so we can see its size. The largest canada goose I have ever heard of weighed 17lbs and it was a hybrid. It is extraordinarily rare to shoot a 15lb goose let alone a 20lb one.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:18 pm

I killed one close to 16 or 17 lbs last week and one that was atleast 20 lbs two years ago. They are huge once they make it down to mississippi. The bird was in a flock of probably 15 and was about twice the size of every other goose in the flock
duckman27
hunter

Postby ducksrlivetrap » Mon Dec 21, 2009 6:35 pm

i just shot a 16 pound goose last week and i thought that was huge im having it mounted the second largest ive ever shot was 14 pounds and every body said i should of had it mounted
The weakest like in waterfowl hunting is YOUR ability to talk to the birds.

Im a fan of the ugly boats.

nobody's perfect ,and im definitely nobody
ducksrlivetrap
hunter

Postby Kurt » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:00 pm

had a freind that shot a goose that weighed 22 pounds but he cleaned it and put it in the freezer and no pics. that was in 96 had the 10 year reunion in 07 and for some reason he still gets crap for that story till this day. funny how if there is a contest for a 16 pounder it takes 3 years and now how many people have shot one bigger on here. ya right hahaha
Locked and Loaded
Kurt
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:46 am

Kurt wrote:funny how if there is a contest for a 16 pounder it takes 3 years and now how many people have shot one bigger on here. ya right hahaha

Haha, exactly. Everyone has shot a 16 lb plus but once you actually have to have proof it is a whole different story. :lol3:
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:48 am

I shot a big one yesterday and I figured it was 12. I bagged up 12 pounds of groceries and put them in a bucket and put the goose in a bucket and compared, and found that it's more like 10-1/2 - 11. I'd have to see a 20 pounder to believe it. My buddy weighed a big one a few years ago and it was 13. And believe me, we have some big 'ol local birds that rarely leave city limits and get to be pretty old. The local birds are a lot bigger than the migrators we shoot. :hi:
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby ducksrlivetrap » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:39 am

ive weighed my 16 pounder and took pics what do you want for proof before it gets cut up and mounted
The weakest like in waterfowl hunting is YOUR ability to talk to the birds.

Im a fan of the ugly boats.

nobody's perfect ,and im definitely nobody
ducksrlivetrap
hunter

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:35 am

ducksrlivetrap wrote:ive weighed my 16 pounder and took pics what do you want for proof before it gets cut up and mounted

Its not that I dont believe you I dont believe missouri redhead who supposedly has three 20lb plus geese on his wall. While it is highly unlikely to shoot a 16 lb goose it is possible. Anything above well...get a different scale. I would like to see pics of the bird though. Its not everyday someone shoots a 16lb goose.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby missouri redhead » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:25 am

sorry it took so long to get the pics I almost forgot with the holidays and family I got to talkin with dad and he is going to try to find the letters from greg our local CA but he thinks they got lost in there house fire anyway i could not get someone to stand by the goose at this time of morning so i imepravised:

the first pics the goose is in fount of a blanket hutch that measures 24x36 and the last pics its in frount of a rubermade container that measures 21x44

09/10 totals
ducks-

geese-

missouri redhead
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:39 pm

If those measurements are correct, that is one big goose. I've got 4 laying on my garage floor right now and a couple are good sized, I'm guessing 10 lbs. and they measure 38" from the tip of the bill to the tail, stretched out straight. That one appears to be over 50". :eek:
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:43 pm

by John O`Neal » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:29 pm

Branta Canadensis Maxima ; aka (giant Canadian goose) This one of eleven sub-species of Canadian geese was thought to be extinct till a flock was discovered in 1962 wintering on Silver Lake in Rochester Minn. Restoration programs throughout it`s original breeding grounds, the great plains, have been hugely successful. This species is primarily non-migratory and has developed a preference for living in cities, on golf courses, in parks, and housing development green spaces. Estimates indicate that up to a million Giant Canadians exist in the upper mid-west prairie region. This bird depending on whose research you reference can range from an average of 11lb. to 14lb. with some males reaching weights exceeding 20lbs. the largest on record being an exceptionally large male weighing 25lbs. with a wing span of 88 inches. In Kansas it`s range is primarily in the eastern portion of the state along with a breeding population in the Wichita region. A few decades back a restoration program for Giant Canadians was initiated at the Marais des Cygnes wildlife area. A similar program was also started about this time by a Green Wing chapter of Ducks Unlimited at Wyandotte Co. lake in K.C.K. Both programs were highly successful to the extent that the Wyandotte Co. lake project created large management issues through the degradation and the denuding of large public use areas at the parks` entrance. Even though their existence is well documented a person may hunt for example 35yrs. without seeing one unless you happen to hunt in an area where these large birds exist. If you want to hunt Giant Canadian geese you have to go where the giant birds hang out, or fly out to. As far as the largest goose killed at the goose/shootout being below the size we are referencing it is probably attributable to being out of the distribution range of the Giant Canadian . This sub-species is only shown as being in the most southern areas of the Canadian provinces. For those of you out there that want to shoot a big goose they do exist and they are proliferating in the eastern portion of the state. In reference to a previous post. I`m not a fisherman but I did weigh those big geese using a fish scale. Good luck & Stay Safe !JOHN O`NEALJohn O`Neal
hunter

This is a post I made a few years back regarding the controversial subject of big geese. It was in response to the claim that geese over 12 lbs are just myths and are the by-product of a heavy thumb on the scale. I have hunted Giant Canada's for years as their exists a size able and ever growing number of the birds here in eastern Kansas. The largest I have ever taken weighed in at 16 lbs. and was shot at the very edge of the city limits. The big birds were flying out of the city to feed in the fields on the edge of town. Giant Canada geese possess an attribute called indeterminate growth in effect their size is ultimately determined by factors such as, age ,environmental issues, stress, predation, and of course hunters. The accompanying pic is of three geese I took on New Years eve 2009. Two of them weighed 12 lbs . the largest being 13 lbs. Eastern Kansas BIG-UNS.

JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby John O`Neal » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:18 pm

John O`Neal wrote:by John O`Neal » Mon Dec 31, 2007 2:29 pm

Branta Canadensis Maxima ; aka (giant Canadian goose) This one of eleven sub-species of Canadian geese was thought to be extinct till a flock was discovered in 1962 wintering on Silver Lake in Rochester Minn. Restoration programs throughout it`s original breeding grounds, the great plains, have been hugely successful. This species is primarily non-migratory and has developed a preference for living in cities, on golf courses, in parks, and housing development green spaces. Estimates indicate that up to a million Giant Canadians exist in the upper mid-west prairie region. This bird depending on whose research you reference can range from an average of 11lb. to 14lb. with some males reaching weights exceeding 20lbs. the largest on record being an exceptionally large male weighing 25lbs. with a wing span of 88 inches. In Kansas it`s range is primarily in the eastern portion of the state along with a breeding population in the Wichita region. A few decades back a restoration program for Giant Canadians was initiated at the Marais des Cygnes wildlife area. A similar program was also started about this time by a Green Wing chapter of Ducks Unlimited at Wyandotte Co. lake in K.C.K. Both programs were highly successful to the extent that the Wyandotte Co. lake project created large management issues through the degradation and the denuding of large public use areas at the parks` entrance. Even though their existence is well documented a person may hunt for example 35yrs. without seeing one unless you happen to hunt in an area where these large birds exist. If you want to hunt Giant Canadian geese you have to go where the giant birds hang out, or fly out to. As far as the largest goose killed at the goose/shootout being below the size we are referencing it is probably attributable to being out of the distribution range of the Giant Canadian . This sub-species is only shown as being in the most southern areas of the Canadian provinces. For those of you out there that want to shoot a big goose they do exist and they are proliferating in the eastern portion of the state. In reference to a previous post. I`m not a fisherman but I did weigh those big geese using a fish scale. Good luck & Stay Safe !JOHN O`NEALJohn O`Neal
hunter

This is a post I made a few years back regarding the controversial subject of big geese. It was in response to a fellow who had hunted for 35 yrs.and claimed that geese over 12 lbs are just myths and are the by-product of a heavy thumb on the scale. I have hunted Giant Canada's for a number of years and there exists a size able and ever growing number of the birds here in eastern Kansas. The largest I have ever taken weighed in at 16 lbs. and was shot at the very edge of the city limits. The big birds were flying out of the city to feed in the fields just outside of town. Giant Canada geese possess an attribute called indeterminate growth, in effect their size is ultimately determined by factors such as, age ,environmental issues, food sources, stress, predation, and of course hunters. The accompanying pic is of three geese I took on New Years eve 2009. Two of them weighed 12 lbs . the largest being 13 lbs. Eastern Kansas BIG-UNS.

JOHN O`NEAL
John O`Neal
hunter

Postby vapor300 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:52 pm

Take the picture of the goose you have mounted and stand it next to a mounted Eastern Gobbler that what give us a better idea
vapor300
hunter

Postby joshco84 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:25 pm

here is a pic of the first goose i killed last year. it weighed right at twelve and a half pounds and had a much wider wing span than i do. It is pictured with a smaller goose for reference that is around five, maybe six pounds. I hunt with a lot of people and this is the biggest goose any of us have killed.

Who knew strippers had feelings?

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby ganderlandr » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:24 pm

13lbs we have killed a couple slightly larger but never weighed them. i am absolutely positive non of them hit 15lbs though

RNT
ganderlandr
hunter

Postby ILgoosehunter12 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:11 am

we killed a big goose. im not sure how much it wieghed but it was a big goose. id say about 10-12 pounds. i might have a pic of it on my computer at home. im at school right now. il check when i get home. and if i dont, im regreting not takin one becuase it was a big goose.
I don't want it, i just need it. To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive
ILgoosehunter12
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum