24 pound goose? what???

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Re: 24 pound goose? what???

Postby duckman27 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:51 pm

I just looked and can't find a pic of it. :sad: I'd seen him a couple of times flying around with 15 or so normal canadians during the summer but never got a shot on him during the early goose season. There were a couple other guys that hunted in the same area that had been talking about some giant goose that they kept seeing but could never get into range. Finally toward the end of duck season the flock came over and me and my buddy killed two of them. The one my buddy killed was just a normal goose that weighed in at just over 12 pounds. The one I shot was the giant and he made the other goose look like a greater canada compared to a cackler. My scale only went to 20 lbs since it was a fish scale. I called up my friends dad who is a life long goose hunter and has killed too many geese to keep track of and he said it was by far the biggest goose he had ever seen. I don't know if it had some kind of genetic disorder or what. It's head was about the size of a softball. Sorry I don't have pics of him.
duckman27
hunter

Postby Adventurer79 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:44 pm

First Canada I ever shot weighed in at 17lbs from Mid-Michigan (1993). Local populations in the midwest, or at least in Michigan, with year round access to crop fields and open water are growing quite large. Same genetic batch just not subjected to the hardship of migration. They are well fed 12 months a year as long as deep snow doesn't force them further south. Cant say that I know of one but a 20+ pound bird wouldn't suprize me.
My buddy and I laughed our asses off at the first geese we shot in the U.P.
WHAT THE ........... HA. Midget geese we thought.
Adventurer79
hunter

Postby Tealer » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:04 am

So still no pics of said monster geese? :fingerpt:
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Professor Chaos » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:31 am

Funny when a $1000 dollars in decoys are on the line that all the 15+ pound geese disappear... now they are back. here come the excuses for no pictures or verification too... :no:
Believe Everything You Read On The Internet
Professor Chaos
hunter

Postby joshco84 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:36 am

Professor Chaos wrote:Funny when a $1000 dollars in decoys are on the line that all the 15+ pound geese disappear... now they are back. here come the excuses for no pictures or verification too... :no:

Ha you noticed that too?
Who knew strippers had feelings?

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby Tealer » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:24 pm

Joshco be careful now we are calling everyone a liar. :no:
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby duckman27 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:43 pm

Tealer wrote:Joshco be careful now we are calling everyone a liar. :no:

I can't find a pic of him on the files on my computer. I know ya'll arent believin me but go to North Mississippi during the september goose season and you will kill the biggest geese of your life. I don't know what makes them so big. I live in CO now and all the geese here are really small compared to what we had in MS
duckman27
hunter

Postby Tealer » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:40 am

duckman27 wrote:

I can't find a pic of him on the files on my computer. I know ya'll arent believin me but go to North Mississippi during the september goose season and you will kill the biggest geese of your life. I don't know what makes them so big. I live in CO now and all the geese here are really small compared to what we had in MS

I have hunted Ole Miss in the early season, pretty sure your geese are the same size as the rest of the country. We have year round grain fed geese too.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby joshco84 » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:19 am

Tealer wrote:
duckman27 wrote:

I have hunted Ole Miss in the early season, pretty sure your geese are the same size as the rest of the country. We have year round grain fed geese too.

Pretty much all we have is grain fed geese so i am not buying it. I know guys that shoot resident geese out of wichita that never get over thirteen pounds, and they eat nice lush green grass all year long.

Botiz630 wrote:Careful, then you'll have to get something to get rid of the geckos. And then something to get rid of what got rid of the geckos. Before you known it your camp will be full of great white sharks fighting velociraptors.
joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby Tealer » Sat Mar 13, 2010 2:37 pm

I am still waiting for a pic.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby duckman27 » Sat Mar 13, 2010 5:39 pm

Can't find any
duckman27
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:26 pm

duckman27 wrote:Can't find any

Not to bust your balls to hard but if I shot a goose any where near 16 pounds there would pics every where. If I shoot a goose that was 20 plus you guys would be tired of hearing about it.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:47 am

Tealer wrote:
duckman27 wrote:Can't find any

Not to bust your balls to hard but if I shot a goose any where near 16 pounds there would pics every where. If I shoot a goose that was 20 plus you guys would be tired of hearing about it.

Exactly, it's possible that a huge goose such as 18 lbs can exist but the odds are so small. You would probably be surprised at how much less the bird weighed if you use a proper scale.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby Redbeard » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:09 pm

i shot a 24 lb cackler once...but i didnt have a camera with me
"Jedge, y' know, suh, us all has ouh good an' ouh bad days wid de ducks. Yes, my lawdy, us sho' do. Dey's times whin de ducks flies all ovah ev'ything an' ev'ybody, an' still us kain't none o' us hit nuthin'- lak me an' you wuz' dis mawnin' "
Redbeard
Super Trooper

Postby Tealer » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:56 pm

Redbeard wrote:i shot a 24 lb cackler once...but i didnt have a camera with me

:lol:
Are you sure you didn't mean 2.4? :yes:
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Redbeard » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:07 pm

Tealer wrote:
Redbeard wrote:i shot a 24 lb cackler once...but i didnt have a camera with me

:lol:
Are you sure you didn't mean 2.4? :yes:

im sure. It was the same size as the 20 lb mallard I shot last year
"Jedge, y' know, suh, us all has ouh good an' ouh bad days wid de ducks. Yes, my lawdy, us sho' do. Dey's times whin de ducks flies all ovah ev'ything an' ev'ybody, an' still us kain't none o' us hit nuthin'- lak me an' you wuz' dis mawnin' "
Redbeard
Super Trooper

Postby cinnamonteal7 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:36 pm

i droped a B52 the other day hardest damn thing to clean ever lol :beer:
miss him once shame on me, miss him twice on me agian, miss him three times damit! reload and watch where that SOB lands this isnt over.
cinnamonteal7
hunter

Postby The Waterfowler » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:42 am

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote:The heaviest flying bird is the tundra swan at 27 lbs. 24 lb canada geese do not exist.

Tundra Swans don't get close to that size. Trumpeters are the heaviest with an mean weight just over 26 pounds in the males, Whoopers are next at 23+. The largest Tundra I've ever killed and weighed was just a few ounces under 17 pounds. The ferral Mute Swans can reach 27 pounds also. Until you've skinned a Swan, you don't realize that they are more bone and less meat than a big Canada.
Helping waterfowl make bad decisions since 1961.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Waterfowler
hunter

Postby joshco84 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:00 pm

The Waterfowler wrote:
WisconsinWaterfowler wrote:The heaviest flying bird is the tundra swan at 27 lbs. 24 lb canada geese do not exist.

Tundra Swans don't get close to that size. Trumpeters are the heaviest with an mean weight just over 26 pounds in the males, Whoopers are next at 23+. The largest Tundra I've ever killed and weighed was just a few ounces under 17 pounds. The ferral Mute Swans can reach 27 pounds also. Until you've skinned a Swan, you don't realize that they are more bone and less meat than a big Canada.

Even if you think about it, the majority of the weight on a big canada is the breast meat. Other than that its pretty much feathers and bones.

joshco84
Leg Humper

Postby WisconsinWaterfowler » Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:57 pm

The Waterfowler wrote:

:oops: I totally meant trumpeter thanks for catching that Pat. I just went by what DU said with the trumpeter weight. :eek: Wow I dont know how I typed that.
WisconsinWaterfowler
hunter

Postby mudpack » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:22 am

Professor Chaos wrote:if you think you shot a 20 pound goose you are retarded...

No, you are not retarded, you are GUESSING.
mudpack
hunter

Postby Suncutter » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:38 am

I killed one once dat was a thurdy pounder n when he honked it sounded like a fog horn goin off. Took tree chots frum my single chot H&R :sniper: :beer: :hammer: :umm: . I have seen some big geese but none over 12-14 lbs not saying they arent out there but????????
870 wrote::welcome: to the site NYducks55
Around here you'd get a warmer answer by asking to have sex with our daughters. :
Suncutter
hunter

Postby duck_slayer_1 » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:23 pm

Dogknott I shot one like that the other day. :beer:
duck_slayer_1
hunter

Postby klist » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:25 pm

its funny, but this thing is thread is still around. and i still have a photo of a goose i shot, in this thread, that was over 17. weighed on a fish scale, as well as measuring the difference on a regular scale with me on it, and them me with the goose

maybe ill go find it again
klist
hunter

Postby klist » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:31 pm

klist wrote:Image

there we go. maybe someday ill get another one, but that sucker was just huge!!! feeding on corn and flying less than 2 miles to roost in CA makes for a big dam goose. the smaller one is the normal size we get, where the other one came from i dont know.

and im not a small guy- bout 5 '9, 160-170, and my hands aint small

k list
klist
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum