Just when I thought I had it!

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Just when I thought I had it!

Postby cletus » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:08 pm

I always use bb or bbb for geese. But now I have heard a buddy of mine who is an avid shotgunner says he uses # 2 steel for geese. He is not the first person to say that either. He said that by using 2's for geese or ducks for that fact, that you get a real nice long shot string, and a better pattern due to more pellets. Especially when using the 1 3/8 ounce loads. As well was added that with the smaller pellet you get a bit more penetration, although most of the steel passes clean through anyway. Do many others use 2's for geese. I shoot 3 1/2 inch and wouldnt mind getting one load for ducks and geese, cuz we tend to get a mixed buffet of birds in the fields. thnx!!
cletus
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Fri Nov 11, 2005 9:15 am

Well I think you buddy may be misguided. You do NOT want a long shot string, the after market chokes are shortening the shot strings. Long shot string = less pellets hitting the target. 2nd is the 1 3/8 loads in a 2.75 or 3" are sub HV loads--meaning the old style velocity of under 1450 fps, granted they work to 35 yds of so on geese-but there will be too many cripples beyond that. That is why HV loads are being used now a days, the penetration is much better at longer ranges. But I suspect the VHV have blown patterns based on past result of handloads, basically those over 1550fps. I think the happy medium is a HV of 1450 to 1500fps for a steel shot shell load, regardless of shell length.

Heck I have shot many a 12lb goose with 3" #3 shot, 1 1/8 oz at 1475fps over the decoys. But for longer shots I prefer bb or bbb in a 3.5" The reason for the #3 is for ducks that come in. But a happy medium for both ducks and geese(to mid range-eg 55yds) would be #2 shot .
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cletus » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:44 pm

thnx h2ofwlr (I think I got that right). I was kind of looking for a happy medium, I hate trying to switch loads back and forth for ducks and geese when they come screaming in. What choke would you recommend for using the #2's. Specifically the load in choice is the Winchester expert hi velocity, 3 1/2 inch # 2's going at 1550 fps. That loads patterns pretty good with either improved or modified choke. What would you recommend, other than trying it out for myself. Thnx again.
cletus
hunter

Postby REM1100 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 1:17 am

I switched over to winchester #1s 1 1/8 oz in 3" high speed 1550 much cheaper and my rem 1100 with gunsmith reamed barrel between full and modified seemed to really perform this year... birds really folded up from 35-50 yds..seemed to have less lead even though I use the swing thru blot.... I used to use bbs for big ducks and geese but am impressed with #1s...cleaned birds ..ducks, geese and cranes had many more pellets closer together.

however my 870 dosn't like bbs, 1s ,2s, but works well with #3 full steel choke

just my 2 cents..nothing theoretical!
REM1100
Provincial Moderator

Postby plainsman » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:13 pm

cletus wrote: Specifically the load in choice is the Winchester expert hi velocity, 3 1/2 inch # 2's going at 1550 fps. That loads patterns pretty good with either improved or modified choke. What would you recommend, other than trying it out for myself. Thnx again.

I use the same load[ #2's and BB ]. I find that the factory full that came with my 935 does a GREAT job on the geese. Head shots up close and holds the pattern really well after it gets out there a ways :thumbsup:
Causing permenant flight delays
Callin' 'em in and knockin' 'em down
plainsman
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum