Finishing off Geese

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Finishing off Geese

Postby duckbuddy » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:49 pm

Okay could of had a great hunt couple of weeks ago, but some how those geese ran away. Me and my brother managed to pull 50 geese from a flock of about 100, but they wouldn't commit. They were up at least 45-50 yrds, but no ten gauage and not a skybuster. What type of calling do you guys call to have those geese fall 10-15 yards before they get blasted. We tried long moans, short moans, dble clcks and murmurs. Need help fast, the geese are moving south quicker than i expected
duckbuddy
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:53 pm

Make sure everyone is hidden well and don't move around. Maybe if you are flagging stop sooner because that will give your position away and they will spot you, or maybe you are just calling too much.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby newbiewaterfowler » Sat Nov 26, 2005 10:39 am

mallardhunter wrote:Make sure everyone is hidden well and don't move around. Maybe if you are flagging stop sooner because that will give your position away and they will spot you, or maybe you are just calling too much.

I agree 100%,,are you guys in a layout blind?Even the bill of a hat sticking out and moveing is no good.If you are flagging and there down that low only flag on the corners and its just a quick flick...Next time take a pic of your concealment and your spread and post it,that will help others help you...good luck
newbiewaterfowler
hunter

Postby Andrew ONeill » Fri Dec 02, 2005 2:00 pm

If you listen to geese before other geese calling other geese before they land, they will get more excited. That is how I call, and it works great
Andrew ONeill
hunter

Postby Rowdy » Fri Dec 02, 2005 5:56 pm

they seen ya. or atleast seen something they didnt like.
Rowdy
hunter

Postby coaltrain1300 » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:33 pm

something wasnt right for sure. maybe spread wasnt to their likings. its aggravating trying to figure out why some flocks crap on your head and others just wont come that extra 10 yards. keep racking your brain. as everyone else said maybe calling to much or somethign was exposed you didnt know about. one decoy glare can kill you. i learned quickly this year thank God to get them to head your direction and shut up. it brought us more dead birds per flock.

if you got good dekes with no glare or excess dirt in good formation and spacing,
arent moving or flagging at the wrong time
are wearing gloves and facemask
calling too long and making them change their mind

dad burned if i know. but makes you want to go back and try again huh?
coaltrain1300
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum