Hunting Winter Wheat

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Hunting Winter Wheat

Postby g100driver » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:50 pm

I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to set up and hide when hunting a winter wheat field? We have TONS of it here and the geese are in there thick. The only problem is that it is hard to hide a layout blind. Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.
g100driver
hunter

Re: Hunting Winter Wheat

Postby kswildcat » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:11 pm

I have camo coveralls that have green as the primary color that I wear. Then we set some magnum shells over the top of us and bunch up some fullbodies around us. It sucks and its definitely not the most comfortable way to hunt, but it seems to work, we've killed plenty of geese with this setup when we have to.
kswildcat
hunter

Postby BigAL64 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:24 pm

A friend that I hunt with came up with this idea. Get that green astroturf outdoor carpet from Home Depot or Lowes, get a piece big enough to cover you completly cut a hole where your face is so you can see. sometimes we put our main spread around us. if that doesn't work we put the main spread 20 yards away and put silos around us. whatever works for that day
BigAL64
hunter

Postby g100driver » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:36 pm

BigAL64 wrote:A friend that I hunt with came up with this idea. Get that green astroturf outdoor carpet from Home Depot or Lowes, get a piece big enough to cover you completly cut a hole where your face is so you can see. sometimes we put our main spread around us. if that doesn't work we put the main spread 20 yards away and put silos around us. whatever works for that day

How do you "pop out" to shoot?
g100driver
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:09 pm

we have astro turff from an old football or soccer field, im going to cut a few sections that fit my layout blind and just set it in
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby maxushooter68 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:14 pm

Ive always had the best success by getting either rafia grass from the fake flower department at walmart or cutting weeds that are similar and spray painting them with green paint that matches the field. then using it to brush up the layout. another good method is using monkey grass if you can.
maxushooter68
hunter

Postby BigAL64 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:54 pm

g100driver wrote:
BigAL64 wrote:A friend that I hunt with came up with this idea. Get that green astroturf outdoor carpet from Home Depot or Lowes, get a piece big enough to cover you completly cut a hole where your face is so you can see. sometimes we put our main spread around us. if that doesn't work we put the main spread 20 yards away and put silos around us. whatever works for that day

How do you "pop out" to shoot?

I just sit up and shoot i am used to shooting sitting down from shooting from a layout boat and blind. the other guy with the post about covering his blind with astroturf would work good also
BigAL64
hunter

Postby weukolar » Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:01 am

I dyed raffia the winter wheat and zip tie it to clothes line pins on the blinds. Where I'm at cattle graze wheat and it is red dirt, and little green stuff. it works ok, but I'm going to start putting super mags off the ground and put them over the blind more or less to help hide it better. It's tough down where they don't have stubble to hide in.
weukolar
hunter

Postby wtrfwl havoc » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:50 pm

kswildcat wrote:I have camo coveralls that have green as the primary color that I wear. Then we set some magnum shells over the top of us and bunch up some fullbodies around us. It sucks and its definitely not the most comfortable way to hunt, but it seems to work, we've killed plenty of geese with this setup when we have to.

X2 on what kswildcat says. i have hunted well educated geese in winter wheat for years. i have tried everything dyed raffia, army netting, christmas tree garlan, spray paint, etc. i have experimented with stuff for years. without a doubt the best way to hunt in winter wheat is by doing exactly what kswildcat said. i am also from kansas and believe me coming from one of the top wheat producing states in the U.S. you have no other choice but to adapt and figure it out. like he said not the most comfortable but by far the best. the problem with layout blinds in wheat field is the shadowing. geeese can pick shadows out as well as they can see some ones face in the sun. by just laying in the field you are as low profile as you can get thus pretty much eliminating shadows. one other thing to consider is how waterfowl see. waterfowls primary defense is the detection of uv light. uv light emits a bluish color, and in a wheat field thats not so good haha. everything you put on your layout blinds, (raffia, netting, spray paint, etc.) that is not natural, will emit some sort of uv light just as astroturf will. no matter what you use you should treat it with a uv prohibitor. also frost forms on wheat far quicker and easier than say milo or corn stubble. if there is frost on the ground but not your blind that is a huge red flag. i like to go out the night before and throw my blind up and let the frost build on it also. just my $.02
wtrfwl havoc
hunter

Postby BigAL64 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:59 pm

It's good to hear from guys that hunt weat all the time. We will def. try it this year
BigAL64
hunter

Postby kswildcat » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:56 pm

Something else I forgot to mention was to look for tractor ruts near where the geese were. Lay in the ruts and this eliminates every shadow and you can get away without using the shells dekes over you. Also, when you hunt like this, be sure to spray your clothes with something that will kill the UV shine. I only wash my hunting clothes in Hunter Specialties anti UV detergent.
kswildcat
hunter

Postby weukolar » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:05 pm

Down in Oklahoma there is red dirt and thin wheat. Would it be a good suggestion dyeing a painters suit oklahoma red dirt and putting a little green in there?? What do yall use for comfort laying down?
weukolar
hunter

Postby kswildcat » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:48 pm

weukolar wrote:Down in Oklahoma there is red dirt and thin wheat. Would it be a good suggestion dyeing a painters suit oklahoma red dirt and putting a little green in there?? What do yall use for comfort laying down?

You could probably try that. I wouldn't use dye though, I'd be worried about the UV problems that might cause. I think what might be best is if you could find some cheap, light colored cloth coveralls, mix up a good batch of soupy red clay, and mud the coveralls like you would your layout blind. Then find a wheat colored spray paint and lightly paint your rows on. Not sure if it would work, but its the best I can think of off the top of my head. Good luck, and oh ya, don't wash them after you do all that work.

And for comfort, well, its not very comfortable. All I do is use a little camo pillow for my head.
kswildcat
hunter

Postby BigAL64 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:32 pm

kswildcat wrote:I have camo coveralls that have green as the primary color that I wear. Then we set some magnum shells over the top of us and bunch up some fullbodies around us. It sucks and its definitely not the most comfortable way to hunt, but it seems to work, we've killed plenty of geese with this setup when we have to.

we are going to try this. One Question, how do you see out of the shells ?Or do you put them over you with your head sticking out ?
BigAL64
hunter

Postby kswildcat » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:33 pm

BigAL64 wrote:we are going to try this. One Question, how do you see out of the shells ?Or do you put them over you with your head sticking out ?

I just put one on my chest, my thighs, and over my feet. Try to use feeders, because the geese seem to look closer at the actives. I wear a full face mask and use that camo makeup stuff on my hands just in case the shell on my chest doesn't hide them while I'm calling. We put fullbodies in between us and down by our feet, using the decoys to break up what shadows our bodies do cast. Try to use ones with stakes instead of stands, and set them up as high as possible. This has worked well for us.

Good luck and let me know how it works out for you
kswildcat
hunter

Postby weukolar » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:53 am

I've been out 2 times the last few days, and tried putting supermag shells over out feet to mid section, and throwing supermags around us.(our fields dirt is red-red, and the wheat is eaten down to the ground) zero cover. We first tried on the NW part of the U, right on the outside of the full bodies. We had groups come in to check it out about 50 yds up, but they just ended up flying off like they didn't like something. We then put it on the West side of the U, and didnt have any more groups come in close enough to tell.
This morning we were on the West side of the U still about 10 yds from the spread. And a group didn't commit but did a flyover about 20yds up, but with us being outside of the spread, which I thought would help them not notice us, they were a long shot. :hammer: so defeated the purpose trying to conceal ourselves whenever we are not in a good position to take shots.
I was thinking this might work, somebody let me know what ya'll think.
-- -0- -- --- - --
-- -0- --
-- -0- --
-- -0- ---- --- --
Us being the 0. I was thinking they may be more focused on the front of the U? But I'm not for sure if we should be anywhere in the line of site of the U or should just stick to the sides of the U.
weukolar
hunter

Postby skybusterbob » Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:13 am

I'd try a goose chair blind. I think that would be more comfortable.
skybusterbob
hunter

Postby kswildcat » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:39 pm

We hunted a wheat field this morning with the methods I mentioned in earlier posts. 4 guys shot 12 greaters, 7 specks, and 17 snows. We had 4 honkers come in and set down less than 5 feet in front of us. I hadn't seen anything like it in quite awhile.
kswildcat
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum