Making a comeback - field goose

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Making a comeback - field goose

Postby bornagainhunter » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:33 am

I am getting back to waterfowl hunting after 20 years. I have ordered some shell decoys and a few wind wing decoys from Cabela's. Are the wind wings as effective as the motion wing decoys? How about the kites and the wind wing strings? Is the J or U shape with the opening facing the blind still the way to set up your decoys?

Things have changed allot since I last hunted and especially since I was in my teens. At 40+ I now have a son of my own and I am looking forward to learning the craft again before he is old enough to hunt so I can be the teacher and pass it on to his children. It seems like the posters on this site are hunting masters. I look forward to being the student. Thanks.
bornagainhunter
Newb

Postby donell67 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:49 am

hey welcome to the forum. you must wanting to field hunt. since you bought shells which i dont do much of.but water hunting we still use the j and u shape.the battery operated robo ducks i think are more affective because if theres no wind or little wind they will still work.but make sure the battery operated ones are legal in your state.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bornagainhunter » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:57 am

Sorry I forgot to mention that the three goose only trips I have planned over the next month are field hunts. It makes sense that the battery operated decoys would be the most reliable. I am in Missouri and will be hunting Swan Lake in the northern portion of the state. The site where I shot my first goose in 1975. I am looking forward to the 31st and the sights and sounds of waterfowl hunting. I will be purchasing some motion wing decoys for the duck hunting trips I have planned in November and December. What's the best brand....have seen all kinds.....string pulls, battery operated.
bornagainhunter
Newb

Postby donell67 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:07 pm

jerk strings work real good on calm days.i have to older robo ducks that i havent had any trouble with.they make them alot better now though direct drive, fold back wing, remotes,etc.......
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Spinning wings decoys

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:11 pm

I personally like Mojo for battery operated spinning wing decoys. I got a Baby mojo shipped to my door for $5 cheaper than the base price that cabelas has them listed for. The website has all sorts of cheap name brand hunting stuff. If you want to know more, PM me and I'll give you the internet address. Good luck with the comeback.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby yellowlab » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:50 pm

if youa re going to be doing some feild huting i think all the hunters would agree that a few fullbody bigfoots would be a ver good addtions to a spread of shealls ... you would line these up along the ends of the u and the j so that the incoming geese can see the fullbodys along the edged of your spread ...
also for more number i would pick up some sillowets they are light and don't take up much room. also they have the apearance of a fullbody goose and are very effective for adding numbers to a spread for a reasonable cost

gald to have another fellow hunter and wish you the best of luck with huting this season :thumbsup:
yellowlab
Forum & State Moderator

Postby bornagainhunter » Wed Oct 20, 2004 7:34 pm

I sure appreciate your advice and I am glad to see technology put to good use. I look forward to comin in from time to time and getting some pointers from experienced hunters such as yourself. Thanks again!
bornagainhunter
Newb

Postby Humboldt Drake » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:07 pm

when it comes to floater duck decoys nothing beats greenhead gear they are some of the best looking decoys ive seen, the paint rarely chips and they will only set you back about $15 to $30 depending on the species.

on windy days i tend to use more of a V shape spread or an X if the wind is blowing in all different directions

on calm, sunny days i like to use O, U and J spread
Humboldt Drake
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:34 am

Well my experience is that spinners will more often flare geese than bring them in.

As for GHG-still too many problems--I read 3 posts about paint/flocking rubbing off after 1 weeks time on thier FBs a few weeks back. Yeah GHG LOOK good but there are better brands out there that hold up much better IMHO.
Big Foots or David Smiths Decoys for FBs or Real Geese Pro series for silos is the way I would go for Canadas.
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum