duck/ goose dry field hunting AR

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

duck/ goose dry field hunting AR

Postby Caleb S » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:49 pm

Ive done some dry field snow goose hunting in the past and enjoy it. This year i want to get into some dry field duck huntin and im almost done getting everything i need. would it be worth getting some canadian goose full bodies??

Im in central Arkansas btw

i know theres canadians here, they fly over my house everyday day, ive also herd about some being on the river. but is it worth gettin some for dry corn or bean fields? id like to if it would be worth it but not sure. is there good numbers of canadians in AR?
Caleb S
Newb

Re: duck/ goose dry field hunting AR

Postby FowlMouth19 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:54 am

If you see geese mixed in with the ducks in the fields then I would say yea get some. You wanna make it look exactly like it does when the birds are there feeding. If you never see geese in the same fields as ducks then I wouldn't put any geese out. Just try and match what you see when your scouting, not only the amount of birds but also take note of where they are in the field. Just make it look as natural as possible. If that makes sense.
FowlMouth19
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:16 pm

i agree with fowlmouth. here in CO. we have mainly goose full bodies and then too the side i use a few duck decoys because sometimes they come in. i would imagine you can do the same but the other way around. just make a small flock to the side of your ducks and see what happens. as long as it doesnt make the ducks flare, then it wont hurt. and if they are flaring, keep adjusting them to make it look as natural as possible. good luck!
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:17 am

get specks, not canadas..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Caleb S » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:57 am

possumfoot wrote:get specks, not canadas..

yea thats what i was recently told, but if i get specks how many should i get? and what about early season? dont specks come with the snows a little later?
Caleb S
Newb

Postby possumfoot » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:13 pm

canadas are few and far between..

HOWEVER.. canadas will decoy to quality specks.. specks are less likely to decoy to canadas..

robo's are a no-no when hunting geese. you need to learn to call specks too.. you can kill specks over a mix (speck and snow) while snow calling if you are accomplished at that...
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby kkelly » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:51 pm

I just moved to NE, OK from North Dakota and haven't done any hunting here yet. But I know that up in ND a lot people would setup nothing but a Canada goose spread and toss a MOJO in there to suck in the ducks. Then when the geese were getting close, they would shut off the MOJO (geese don't like MOJO's). I don't know if the same strategy works here. Hope it helps!

Good luck!
kkelly
hunter

Postby quack-n-stack » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:07 pm

Mojos are a defantly a no-no for geese. However do they work for ducks? Thats the age old question that will be debated to death for a while to come. If it works for you good deal, if it don't work, don't use them. As stated above try to mimic the species you find when scouting. being right on the X is huge when dry field hunting. There are alot of resident canadas in central arkansas. Here is how i set up decoys in a dry field when i'm hunting canada. Remember though the most important part of speck hunting is calling. I run just a few snow decoys mixed in for look and also it allows me to get a few single and doubles in. I use full body ducks in front of my blinds with specks and a few snows mixed in to the left and behind faiding into canadas on the right. Now again scouting is upmost importance. You will have to find the ducks using a dry field in order to be succesfull. Hope this helps!

S-snows
D-duck
W-white front (specks)
C- canadas
B- Blinds

DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
S WWWDS B B B W D W CCCCC
W W W S W W C W S CCCCCCCC
WSWWWWW CC W SCCCCCC
quack-n-stack
hunter

Postby ARduckboy24 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:16 pm

Specks migrate early to because every year never fail on the refuge I hunt in northern araknsas there are tons of specks and snows already there mainly specks.
if it flies it dies........if it sits it dies to
Central Arkansas: ducks, geese, deer, dove, and coyote. Northern Arkansas: turkery,ducks, deer, dove, and coyotes. Kansas:turkey, coyote, deer, phesant(not yet but will soon), duck and geese.
ARduckboy24
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum