Flagging Issues

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Flagging Issues

Postby tealslayerblw » Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:46 am

What kind of flags do you guys use? i just got some land that im gona goose hunt next year and i need to gear up. Whats ure favroite flags? and what are some of the cheaper ones run?
tealslayerblw
hunter

Postby ISHOOTDIVERS » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:54 am

Flags usually go from like $15 and up, the best flag I have found that I like the best is anything black on a flimsy telescoping pole.I forget the names of the ones but they go out maybe 10-12 feet and give the flag nice movement, Cabelas has em
Diver Hunters Do It In Big Waves!

Save A Seal, Club An Activist
ISHOOTDIVERS
hunter

Postby goosecaller » Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:51 am

I will use a few flags. One tall one to get the attention of the geese at a distance and a smaller (homemade) one to flip when I am working them. I always use a black flag, but have seen others use white. Cabela's has a good selection, and I just made my smaller one. They are not hard to make, but they are cheap enough to just buy as well.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby Erik Olsen » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:46 pm

take a square of black cloth (mines an old table cloth) 2.5ft by 2.5ft staple it to a 3 to 3.5 ft dowl and just use it to get there attention. spend the money on a form of motion that puts movement in your spread and away from u. wing waver, hidgon flapper, sillosocks or northiwind wind socks all do a good job. this is better than a flag as when they turn and head your way the motion is not u thus their beady little eyes are not on u
"pass me some ammo" Oh crap you shoot three and a half!"
Erik Olsen
hunter

Postby Gopack » Fri Feb 24, 2006 10:18 am

I've got two Foiles flags and they're awesome. Got them free from Macks with some special package they had when you bought a layout blind. If you are planning to get a blind keep your eye in MAcks catalog. They usually have a deal when you buy an Avery blind you get some other stuff, normally on back cover of the catalog. I tried making my own but couldn't figure out how to get them flexible enough to jig. The Foiles have stiffener rods and when you jig them they look exactly like flapping wings, plus they roll up as small enough to fit in flag pockets of my Avery's.
Gopack
hunter

Postby quackerkiller » Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:26 am

:withstupid: the one you get with the avery blinds are nice
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Out For Blood
quackerkiller
Forum & State Moderator

Postby greatwhitehunter3 » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:40 pm

i have a goose calling video -Honker Talk with Shawn Stahl
on here it shows them flaggin with a square piece of black fabric on a pole. does it have to be shaped like a goose to be effective???just wondering cuz i tried making my own that looks like a goose and didnt stay together very good. a square piece would be very easy to make.
Born to Hunt, Forced to Work!
greatwhitehunter3
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:10 am

I don't know about flagging. I think it will flare them if you flag when they are too close, but it works great on getting their attention. I've seen guys use their hats even to try and get attention of those mile high flocks ya see sometimes.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Boomn4x4 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:47 am

:withstupid:

I used to carry my deeks in a large black duffle bag. When there were geese out in the distance, I would stand up and start waving it "smoke signal" style. Worked great for me.

I don't flag either when they are close.
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby goosecaller » Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:52 am

I will flag them all the way to the ground sometimes if they are responding to it. Sometimes if they are floating off line and I need them to get back in line with us, I will tell someone on the opposite side of the setup to just give it a lilttle flip (using the small flag, not attention getting flag). That way they see a little movement and it seems to get them to line back up. Sometimes though, they don't want to see it. Kind of like calling, sometimes they like it, sometimes they don't.
call 'em in and kill 'em all
goosecaller
hunter

Postby mrleo25 » Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:22 pm

When are they to close to use the flag and how long do you flag for? Is there a special way to flag as far as a figure 8 or just wave it?
mrleo25
hunter

Postby tealslayerblw » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:30 pm

just an up down pattern, i usually flag up until 100 yards
tealslayerblw
hunter

Postby Boomn4x4 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:46 am

I flag with up and down motions and gradually get closer to the ground. Try to simulate a goose landing.

I follow the same rule with flagging as you do with calling. Only flag to Tips and Tails. If they are crossing perpindicular and you can see their wing tips, or if they are flying away and you can see their tails it's ok to flag. I never flag inside a couple hundred yards.
I love my job, it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.
Boomn4x4
Membership permanently suspended

Postby cam » Sun Oct 15, 2006 9:23 am

all days are different once you get the hang of it you wont go with out a flag
cam
hunter

Postby DMK » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:49 pm

Make certain you read the body language of the birds wether you
your flagging or calling .
Soon you will beable to ID what will and won't work.
I to have had my son flag until they are on the ground.
It is like they are blind to them being on ground while they keep the flags moving.
Do not give up.

DK
DENNIS
Hanlontown, Iowa
DMK
hunter

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum