3" shells for geese?

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Re: 3" shells for geese?

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:17 am

MagTen wrote:I shoot for the head and have stone killed more birds with #1s than any other size.

I do think you would be satisfied with a 3" gun.

3" 1 1/4oz loads of steel 1s, are where 26 seasons of virtually daily goose guiding have left me.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:22 am

I was wrong once...you see I "thought" I had made an error but it turned out I was correct.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby whitefrontback » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:56 pm

pattern your gun with different length goose loads with various chokes, Fulls and modifieds. That will tell you what shells are best suited for your gun. 3 1/2 shells can and will cause some guns to jam. It really depends on the gun, but it would be worth the extra money for a gun that shoots 3 1/2. I will say that Ive seen specks dropped at 50+yds with 2 3/4 #4s with a full choke.
whitefrontback
hunter

Postby bingly » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:57 am

I am 14 years old, 5'4", and 110lbs. and i shoot 3.5"s so i would say that i dont think recoil would be an issue. The other weekend i went duck hunting on my youth hunt for one of the days and the 3.5 really helped my range. If money is and issue ,you can pick up a stoeger m3500 for $630 all camo and that is a really nice gun.
2011-2012 Hunting Stats:
Ducks:4
Geese:
Deer:
Bear:
Turkey:
Varmints: 5
bingly
hunter

Postby Bull Can » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:26 pm

If you plan on hunting later in the year, I would get 3.5". 3" definitely kill geese, but 3.5 for those smart and thick late season birds is a great tool. In early season I shoot 3" 2's and I easily fold geese at 30 yards, but this birds were young with not much of a fat layer. 3.5" is also very helpful if you intend on doing a lot of late season diver hunts.
Getcha Some Green
Bull Can
hunter

Postby Papabear » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:16 am

I shoot 3 inch for geese .I have a few buddy's that went out and bought a 31/2 inch gun and none of them even shoot the 3 1/2 inch any more. they all tried it and did not like it or wanted to spend the extra money on the shells when a 3 inch dose the job just as good as the 31/2 inch shells
papabear
PARENTS DON'T TAKE PICTURES OF THEIR KIDS PLAYING VIDEO GAMES
For Those Who Understand No Explanation Is Needed-For Those Who Don't None Will Do
WE HUNT BY SIGHT-NOT BY SOUND
Papabear
hunter

Postby R. Toker » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:30 pm

I shoot a Beretta AL391 Urika 2 synthetic 28" gun for ducks and geese. I use Kent Fasteel 3" 1.25oz of #1 shot and it will knock the air out of geese and ducks. Good all purpose load.
Lynch Mob Calls
Gander Valley Custom Calls
Beretta AL 391 Urika2 28"
Carlson's LM Choke
Kent Fasteel
Beretta SV10 Prevail III 32"
WATERFOWL AND SPORTING CLAYS!!!
R. Toker
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:24 pm

3 1/2" are for guys that are not good enough to get them in range of a 3" shell...................... :crying: :crying: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

If the 8 and 4 gauge were legal there would be guys that wanted to use them so they could shoot birds at 100 yards.....................
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby Andy W » Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:55 am

I've switched from 3 1/2" to 3" and do as well or better than I used to.
Andy W
hunter

Postby rebelcj7 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:10 am

The 2 3/4" versus 3" versus 3.5" debate will come around every so often..

Can you kill them with 2 3/4" sure... And you will find many who are die hards for it, many of those are up in their age and 30 years ago when all you could find is 2 3/4" chambers, geese were not NEAR as smart as there wasnt all the new innovations making birds smarter and harder to hunt/decoy etc.

I use 3" for ducks and occasionally have honkers dump in while hunting ducks and yep it will kill them... However, if I am only hunting honkers I will normall shoot 3.5". Do I need it? Nah, but having the extra power can/will/does help at times. No I don't go out with the intention of shooting geese at 50 yards, as I doubt anyone does but there are those days where the sun/moon/stars dont align perfectly and birds dont work like they did 30 years ago.

If you are going to use 3" I would highly suggest Hevi Shot or Heavy Metal. Sure it costs a bit more then regular steel but I can't begin to count the times I have seen guys bang on honkers with 3" steel just to see a few feathers get pulled and birds fly away. so do the math, 3 shots of cheap steel and zero birds or maybe one versus 3 shots of Heavy Metal or Hevi Shot and 2 birds.. or 3 birds.. You simply can not pass up Hevi Shot for geese, it will greatly cut down your shots/kill ratio.

:beer:
rebelcj7
hunter

Postby Pumpgunner » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:45 pm

Depending on how many geese you shoot a year it might be worth it to invest in a couple of boxes of Hevishot. I bought 2 boxes of 3" #2 Hevishot just for shooting at geese this year and that stuff is scary good, I have had complete pass-throughs on geese at 45 yards. But then again I don't shoot that many geese in a year so that may not be economical for you.
Avery- the K-Mart of waterfowl gear.
Pumpgunner
hunter

Postby Fowlhunter22 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:06 pm

zeus50 wrote:some one on another forum made a comment to this, that i liked.

If you're in the market for a new gun, pay the extra for 3.5 model...

If if you don't hunt 3.5.....

there might come a day where you say... "oh sh!t, i forgot my shells"....if your buddy only hunts 3.5 you're SoL...

Just a thought...

the only time i use 3.5 is with my 10ga....with the 12 i only shot 3s...

Z

this is the exact reason i wanted a 3.5" gun i forgot to put more shells in my blind bag after a week or two of hunting and i ran out and all my uncle had was 3.5" shells and i had a 3" gun
Fowlhunter22
hunter

Postby HonkQuackBang » Tue May 15, 2012 3:50 pm

:hi:
In Ireland am using Lyalvale Express max game No.4 shot 50gm 3in

They knock down geese way out far and i have great faith in them! Never used 3 1/2in shells nor will i.

Aslo i use Nobel Sport SuperMagnum No.2 shot 56gm 3in
Nobel Sport HeavyLoad No.0 shot 42gm 2 3/4 in

I kill geese with all these cartridges but im unsure if you guys can get them over there?
HonkQuackBang
hunter

Postby BGipson » Tue May 15, 2012 5:56 pm

In my observations while hunting, 3.5" shells are for the guys who "need to know they have that extra shot/speed/whatever"... have I ever seen a noticeable difference in the number of birds they dropped compared to me with my 3" BB's or BBB's? not 1 bit. Do they feel more confident and shoot better because they have them? probably but it's debatable whether they'd admit it. If you are hunting properly then you will get the birds in to a respectable range and place your shot on their head/neck. It takes 1 maybe 2 bb's penetrating a skull to kill a bird so I don't see the point of putting 20 pellets on the head when 1 or 2 would do the trick just fine. Maybe it's just me but I prefer to use a flyswatter on flies not a sledgehammer :fingerhead:
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby viskey » Wed May 16, 2012 7:13 am

i was in your same situation debating on the M2 and the SBEII. I ended up getting the M2. Let me explain why.

1. $300 price difference in gun
2. $6 more per box for 3 1/2" instead of 3"
3. Im not sure about you but when i switch from my duck load to my goose load i want it to be the same FPS so it doesn't screw up my leading the bird. Now comparing a 3" 1550 fps BB to a 3.5" 1550 fps BB, i don't remember the exact numbers but it was something like i would be only gaining 16 extra bb's in the pattern when im already throwing out 100 bb's is an extra 16 really going to make a difference especially when only a certain % make it in the "killing circle"?

So that is why i got the M2, it just really wasn't even a close decision once i got the numbers down. It wasn't worth it.

p.s. if you went slower on the goose loads to per say 1400fps you would be getting more than the extra 16 (i believe like 23) but then again your lead will have to change because of the speed and still wouldnt be a significant increase in bb's.

hope this helps! good luck on your decision!
Richard Visker
Big Al's Decoys Pro-Staff
Lynch Mob Calls Pro-Staff
Dakota Hunting Retriever Club
SDWA | SDWF | DU
viskey
hunter

Postby VAgooser » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:34 pm

We did a lot of pass shooting on the rivers here this past late season (horribly mild winter=terrible waterfowling in VA [apparently]) and I was very pleased with 3" shells. I shot mostly Federal Black Cloud BBB and BB and later on cheap Winchester Xpert Steel n BB and had good success with those.
truth is.. 2 3/4" shells will do the trick, though nowadays we're being pummeled with the idea of 'victory through superior firepower', but truthfully a well placed 2 3/4" shot will out perform a poorly taken shot from 3 1/2" gun anyday.
My advice.. practice makes perfect. Shoot skeet, pattern your gun at different ranges all with your current setup and you may find that 3 1/2" shells arent necessary, and this may save your shoulder for future hunts. :thumbsup:

I personally hope to hunting until Im at least 90 .. so i can deal with 3"! lol

Hope this helps! :beer:
VAgooser
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:14 am

if your grandpa could do it with 2 3/4’’ you can do it with 3’’
dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby cuppedandkilled » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:25 pm

Pattern, pattern, pattern. My Mossberg 835 with a petternmaster loves Winchester Expert 3" 2's. My Beretta Urika 2 with it's factory choke loves Federal Blue Boxes in 1's as well as Estates. If I do my part - ill kill birds. 3.5" shells have the extra pellets but are over-rated IMO.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
cuppedandkilled
hunter

Postby the cashman » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:19 pm

Id rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. But the truth is, no, you don't need it.
N.O. Guide Service: D.D.F. Division Supervisor

Team J.Mc All-Stars

"A duck call in the hands of the unskilled is one of conservation's greatest assets" ~ Nash Buckingham
the cashman
hunter

Postby HonkQuackBang » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:59 am

Lyalvale Express max game No.4 shot 50gm 3in

They do the job for me!
HonkQuackBang
hunter

Postby cut_un » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:55 am

MAy have been said as I'm getting into the post late. I think it depends on whether you will be pass shooting or decoying birds. A goose a 20 with his wings/head neck exposed is easy pickings,2 3/4 & 3' is plenty..... A goose a 45 + yards as with pass shooting... you need a heavy load to break him down
Big Al's" Take 'Em" Silhouettes Pro Staff

Team Chasin' Feathers
Eastern Shore Rod & Gun Club
Share your passion, take a kid hunting!
cut_un
hunter

Postby War Wagon » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:11 am

I dont care what kind you pick out. Just make shure it fits you. Yes take it out and pattern it, guns digest shells differently. Fast shells, slow shells, load options, gage sizes, choke tubes, you will find out whats good for you. The one thing you cant buy is Marksmanship. Get out to a local Trap, Skeet, or a Sporting Clays Course and Practice, Practice, Practice :yes: :yes: :yes:
War Wagon
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:11 pm

I shoot 3" and honestly have not had any problems. 3" BB's are where it's at :thumbsup:

Now if I can learn how to hit birds :help:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:44 am

3" is all I use. Perfect for geese
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby cawaterfowlslayer » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:17 pm

I was in the same boat about 2 months ago when I was getting a new semi auto. I went with the extra money for the 3-1/2 inch just for the reason that if I need it or want it later I have it. I dont have to use it but I have it. I am planning on using mostly 3in anyway with just a few 3-1/2 here and there. You can kill any bird with a 3in shell but I look at it like for the little extra money why not have the option to use the 3-1/2 inch. Anouther plus with the 3-1/2 is if you ever forget shells someday but all your buddy has is 3-1/2 you can still shoot it.
Thats just my opinion.
It Flys it Dies
cawaterfowlslayer
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum