3" shells for geese?

Canadas and Specks (Whitefronts). A place to discuss Canada goose hunting tips, tactics, and reports.

Moderators: Skyblaster7, Cupped-n-Committed, smitty2640

Re: 3" shells for geese?

Postby WOODIE13 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:53 pm

I have shot HS #4's, TM #2's, HM #2's and Kent FS #2's, bottom line, get them in close, inside 40 yds, you will kill any of them with any shot as long as you know your gun and your abilities. All 3"
WOODIE13
hunter

Postby alex is a DUCK hunter » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:20 am

i shoot 3" 1 1/4 2s, 1s, BBs, and BBBs at everything from teal to snow geese. mainly i go with the BBB's, theyre all the same shell and i shoot between 3-5 cases through out waterfowl season. Just get used to your shells and the same choke and youll be unstoppable. hope this helps
alex is a DUCK hunter
hunter

Postby bennyboy72 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:18 am

I have always shot 3 1/2 #2s along side my dad who uses 2 3/4 #4s. We always shoot when they are finishing so he always does just as good as me. I know that when I have used bigger shot like BB or BBB I have found the shot rolled up and stuck inside the feathers before they even reach the flesh. Obviously some of them make it to the vitals but I've often wondered how many of the birds I've unloaded my gun on where all the shot rolled up in the feathers. I know I'm not a perfect shot and definitely miss my fair share but sometimes you just know you hit with every shot and they fly away laughing at you. I have no idea if anyone else has ever noticed this before with the bigger shot but I've never seen it happen with smaller shot sizes?
Last edited by bennyboy72 on Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
bennyboy72
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:01 am

bennyboy72 wrote:I have always shot 3 1/2 #2s along side my dad who uses 2 3/4 #4s. We always shoot when they are finishing so he always does just as good as me. I know that when I have used bigger shot like BB or BBB I have found the shot rolled up and stuck inside the feathers before they even reach the flesh. Obviously some of them make it to the vitals but I've often wondered how many of the birds I've unloaded my gun on where all the shot rolled up in the feathers. I know I'm not a perfect shot and definitely miss my fair share but sometimes you just know you hit with every shot and they fly away laughing at you. I have know idea if anyone else has ever noticed this before with the bigger shot but I've never seen it happen with smaller shot sizes?

I Have thought about this, but it could very well be true. I have had many occasions when three or four geese come in, 25 yards out and start putting the landing gear down, me and my buddy both unload, and the geese pull up and fly away laughing at us. We always shoot BBB
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:40 pm

i have both, an M2 and an Extrema2. i like the 3 inch shell. in the m2 the recoil isnt bad. if it were a SBE 2 it would be worse due to inertia system. if im feelin 3 1/2ish i shoot the extrema 2. gas gun = less recoil than the interia.
Springing Flying Fish are good practice in the off season
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Fri Aug 31, 2012 5:06 am

ducking&diving wrote:i have both, an M2 and an Extrema2. i like the 3 inch shell. in the m2 the recoil isnt bad. if it were a SBE 2 it would be worse due to inertia system.

That reads like you're saying the M2 doesn't have an inertia system, which is news to me. And I'd think that with like loads the SBE2 will have slightly less recoil thanks to slightly more weight.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby ducking&diving » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:38 pm

m2 is inertia like the SBE 2. my point was that 3 inch shells kick less than 3 1/2. inertia kicks more than gas. i havent looked at the benelli weights of each in a long time. when i picked them up they didnt feel alot different in weight. you may be right. i guess the problem is that i was comparing an m2 and and X2. one intertia 3 incher to a gas 3 1/2 incher.
Springing Flying Fish are good practice in the off season
ducking&diving
hunter

Postby Kaunas » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:50 pm

Using 3" browning gold fusion and no need for 3 1/2". It's all about u not about your gun :)
Kaunas
Newb

Postby Blackfoot down » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:36 pm

3 inch shells are plenty for geese when using a 12 gauge. Lure them into the proper range of 40 yards or less and you will have no issues...
Blackfoot down
Marshfield, MO
Blackfoot down
hunter

Postby SkyBuster302 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:37 pm

Ive shot honkers with 3 in until I could afford a 3.5 in gun. I could kill em with the 3 in but you can't get up there and kill em like a 3.5 will. The big difference is distance. In my opinion if you got it you can use it. Spend the extra money cuz you might not ever know when you'll need that extra *** behind that shot ..
Lockin' em & droppin' em since '91
SkyBuster302
hunter

Postby Duce » Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:19 pm

SkyBuster302 wrote:Ive shot honkers with 3 in until I could afford a 3.5 in gun. I could kill em with the 3 in but you can't get up there and kill em like a 3.5 will. The big difference is distance. In my opinion if you got it you can use it. Spend the extra money cuz you might not ever know when you'll need that extra *** behind that shot ..

For your information a 3 1/2 don't shoot any farther than a 3 inch or 2 3/4. They shoot the same distance. The only difference is the amout of pellets. :welcome:
Duce
hunter

Postby Takeem406 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:29 pm

I bought a Maxus last season. I shot 3.5 all year without patterning it first.
I patterned a few 3.5's this year and found that at 25 yards with a factory IM Cylinder I barrely had any hits.
With a 3" I peppered the paper.
I tried a few other 3.5 shell and choke combos but they all were worthless.
I'm using a Patternmaster Code Black UPLAND with 3" Kent 1425 fps #1's. 25 to 40 yards its awesome! No issue dumping huge northern grey eyebrows!
Really just use good decoy tactics and calling and get em into 35 yards.
I just got a CB Goose so ill be trying that with 3.5" shells to see what they do.

So extra shot don't mean Jack if its not even hitting its mark!

Sent from my Tim Grounds Triple Crown
Takeem406
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:15 am

Have an SX3 I got the 3.5" in case I needed it. I think it patterns bad and 3'' kills the geese fine. The other problem is 3.5'' seem to jam more often. Where as 3'' cycle a lot better. I shot a triple on geese with 3'' opening weekend, don't know what else you could ask for. Oh and I was using the SX3 w/ factory modified choke and 3'' Remington Sportsman BB Steel. The 3.5'' were same setup just longer shells. I now buy all 3'' goose loads for field hunting. Now if I took a lot of time to pattern a 3.5'' and I knew the geese would be hard to work then yes I would use a 3.5''. My Dad talks about shooting his limit of geese with a 20 gauge steel #4's. Just aim for the head. Nice part about BB is if you hit them in the body they still go down.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby The Duck Hammer » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:06 pm

I refuse to use 3" shells for anything!!!

Thats because my Mag 10 only except 3 1/2" shells. :yes:
“When you're at the end of your rope, tie a knot and hold on” - Theodore Roosevelt
jaysweet3 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:easy...just manipulate the ruler to make the inch shorter so that 28" reads 30"..... :thumbsup:

That's how I got a 13" pecker.
The Duck Hammer
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:53 pm

All 3 inch for me sir and some 2 3/4 Bismuth that i have. KNocks the ish outta um just ifnd. Sometimes i think id like a 3 and a half.. but in all reality. If your shooting geese the right way.... (decoying) then you should have no problem with 3 inch.... 3 1/2 gives ya some more BBS which is nice but i dk i dont think ya need it
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby Duce » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:15 pm

Some people think that since they shoot 3 1/2 inch shells they can shoot 3x farther which results in alot of wasted shells. :no: But it's their money so let them sling all the steel they want :grooving:
Duce
hunter

Postby tripleb » Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:47 pm

I prefer to shoot large shot (bbb's) for geese and using a 3.5" hull permits me to do that easily in a handload and still have plenty of speed.

I used to shoot a 3" hull when I had a 3" gun, using BBB's, and it worked effectively up to around 40 yards, but I had to spend the time and effort to get good patterns. That seemed easier to do with the longer shell.
tripleb
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:40 am

I was talking to a guy and he says that 3.5" shells pattern weird. He said that since their so long the shot string is really long, so 3" shells put more pellets into a Moving Target. Some aftermarket choke tube companies say their chokes shorten the shot string, and maybe that would be the key.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:44 pm

No 3 1/2" option in a 20 ga..................... :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 3:41 am

What 3 1/2 inch shells do:
1) kick harder
2) cost more
3) make you feel like your d*** is bigger than the guy next to you

Every time I've had somebody shooting 3 1/2 inch shells with me, they end up talking about them all morning. Seems like the 3 1/2 inchers are pretty crappy shots too typically. How many guys shooting 3's and 2 3/4's do you hear bragging about it?
duckman27
hunter

Postby stealfeathers » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:34 am

Shoot em in the face and u can kill em with a 410
stealfeathers
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:16 am

matt_3479 wrote:Before the 3 1/2" shell came out what do oyou think everyone used?
The 3"
before the 3" came out, what do you think everyone used?
2 3/4"

Why do you think they upgraded the length of the chamber? because the others didn't work? because the others didn't have the power? No, it was actually because people wanted the extra power, extra range for the big geese at extended ranges. And those 3 1/2 shells really put a number on them. Now as people what they use most often and they will tell you there preference but every size has done it for years and will continue to.

In my hunting party we have 5 guns that only shoot 2 3/4" and yes one of them was me. We killed just as many birds as everyone else. You could tell on the further shots how the larger 3" helped and now the 3 1/2". I then wanted to upgrade my gun not because i didn't like 2 3/4" but because half my party uses 3" and this way i can grab any shell and throw it in. So i picked up the 3" maxus. This gun fits me better and so my shot has improved. My range has improved, so my success has gone up. but both work. Now we recently had a guy pick up a 3 1/2" gun only cause the supernova only came in that chamber so he grabbed it.

The 3 1/2" really beats you up, especially after a full day of shooting. The 3" is a lot more tolerable and works amazing, why up size. Its all preference. My preference is 3" cause i dont need the 3 1/2" and it saved me 250 dollars.

THIS :thumbsup: Matt_3479 sounds to me like he knows the score....

Saturday morning, my cousin and I limited out on ducks. We watched a group of younger hunters across the water with 3 spinners who were really on the X. They were good callers. They shot and shot and shot 3.5" shells. We were shooting my Benelli M2 12 gauge with 3" #3's and my Cousins M2 in 20 gauge. We killed 12 ducks with 14 shots. When we left, those other folks had like 4 ducks and empty hulls laying all over the place.

It ain't the arrow; its the Indian :biggrin:

It's not about how far you can shoot, its about how close you can shoot.

But your question was about geese.

Original poster, rest assured that I have shot many, many geese with my 3" shells.

The 3.5" shell is, IMO, a penis extender. Be happy with what God gave you, use a 3" shotgun. Take the money you save in shells and practice regulary at the sporting clays range. Buy some DVD's of people who know how to call and decoy birds, and do what they do.

Leave the sky busting to the cowboys of the world. Do us all a favor and learn how to work geese in close.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby canderso » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:22 am

I was in the same position 2 years ago. I was considering the SBEII or the M2. I went with the M2 and haven't looked back. I have never regretted not having the capability of 3.5" shells.

Hell my son just shot a big Canada with a 20ga, 3", 7/8oz of #4s! As stated previously, it is all about shot placement. I called the shot for him because I was comfortable with his shooting ability and I felt the goose was low enough to take. The pellets found the head and "elbow" joint on the bird. It fell from the sky dead.
Fear God, love your neighbor, and hunt ducks. . . . The Duck Commander
canderso
hunter

Postby Goose Doctors » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:05 pm

I have a semi auto savage 12 gauge, all it can hold is 2 3/4, and I have no problem whatsoever knocking down the honkers. :thumbsup:
Goose Doctors
hunter

Postby guywithhat » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:04 pm

mossy 935, full choke, and 3" BB blind side works good for me....
Built Not Bought!
This is Romeo Foxtrot. Shall we dance?
MorningWood built thread - viewtopic.php?f=72&t=164022
guywithhat
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Canada Goose Hunting Forum